YesNoOk

Hello! old dude with a old mugen and a dream of IKEMEN 2V2 SIMUL (Read 7611 times)

Started by blumilk, June 09, 2022, 04:31:19 am
Share this topic:
Hello! old dude with a old mugen and a dream of IKEMEN 2V2 SIMUL
#1  June 09, 2022, 04:31:19 am
    • USA
Hi friends!
I'm an old dude with minimal coding skills, and ages ago, I put together a Mugen made just for me and my homies, none of which have ever played fighting games before. In my infinite hubris, I tried taking on the impossible: THE ULTIMATE 2 V 2  MUGEN FOR EVERYONE (simultaneous & no skills required). Back then, I had no idea of knowing that Mugen would never get 2v2 simul support...

So I move forward; the idea for controls originally was to make some "smash bros" like controls on top of the original character control config. Like, straight up have special shortcuts buy holding down LT/LB/L1 or RT/RB/R1 and a button and/or direction so that literally anyone could pick up and play Mugen with MINIMALL instruction.... idk; AKA the ultimate BUTTON MASHER!!! I hate auto combos personally but every fighting GAME NEEDS AUTO COMBOS IMO (for the masses)... Everyone can relate to their favorite characters, of which Mugen has them all, but nobody wants to learn the intricate systems more than enough to perceive a "fair match" when playing it, right? BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY: YOU HAVE TO BE ABLE TO DO COOL STUFF ON THE FLY WITHOUT MUCH EFFORT & WITHOUT BREAKING THE GAME ENTIRELY.
Right at the start, ALL of Mugen should have been designed from the bottom up skill-wise in my opinion, but that's neither here nor there...
Anywho, fast forward a few years; I completed my best version of the idea. A mostly balanced 200+ characters super easy to play MUGEN with a decent selection, tons of matching stages, tons of matching music. Including a decently designed arcade path, all maps automatically scaled way out to accommodate the original idea of 2v2 simul battles with very long maps, etc....
My Mugen was as ready as it would ever be, and so I brought it over to my buddy's dormitory where I lived at the time, and, Oh Boy, We had a blast!
Even the chicks got into it. It was great. I even added the partygoers into the game (i just changed the names of characters that nobody knew into my hommies), and we play the ever-living crap outta it.

Fun times. It ran its course, though as all things do...
Years and years later; I've been slowly showing my little kids about my favorite games that I played as a kid: all the old Nintendo stuff like punchout and super mario rpg and ironically MUGEN. I had it on my desktop and randomly started it without much thought, but after a few rounds, now it is in a near-daily gaming routine for the whole family lol!
And so we started playing my ancient relic mugen again, but then the question came back, and the original mission: 2 V 2 SIMULTANEOUS! Where is it? It never came...... but wait... IT DID! WTF IS IKEMEN??!??

...I found out 2 days ago. Today is 06-08-22. I got my OG super noob characters plus all their stages and music that I had already intricately put together for co-op arcade mode and ported them into the best Ikemen screen pack I could find... ironically called: https://mugenfreeforall.com/topic/46137-the-best-ikemen-go-x64-screenpack/

On the plus side, mostly everything works. The only things messed up that I can't figure out how to fix so far has to do with the stages not scaling outside their borders to accommodate long screen battles with two separate 1v1's happening on opposite edges of the screen. My OG config would shift the camera as far back as it took to accommodate these instances; stage borders be damned. Plus, I added a dumb MK-style massive blood squirt hit effect over every move for even more, more, more.
So now I'm back to finish the ultimate fighting game to play with my kids, and so far, its been stupid fun

any help, tip, and /or f*** off's disguised as advice are more than appreciated ;)