YesNoOk

[Vinnie Thread]: Minazuki Sho and Shadow Yosuke Released (04/13/2024) (Read 1517852 times)

Started by Vinnie, February 02, 2022, 02:43:36 am
Share this topic:
Re: [Ichida Thread]: Weiss Schnee Released (11/30/2022)
#201  December 10, 2022, 06:56:59 pm
  • KFC
  • it's finger licking good
    • USA
Re: [Ichida Thread]: Weiss Schnee Released (11/30/2022)
#202  December 11, 2022, 01:52:56 am
    • Vietnam
    • sites.google.com/view/vinnie-mugen-projects/home
Re: [Ichida Thread]: Strider Hiryu Released (12/12/2022)
#203  December 12, 2022, 01:37:18 am
    • Vietnam

Strider Hiryu has been released. Despite of his hypothetical moveset for what Hiryu would be like if he were a playable character in Blazblue Cross Tag Battle, his moves are still based on his moveset in MvCI.

More Screenshots
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Video Showcase

Get Hiryu here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FNkDXRwV7n4HLZ0xNsbrOgQSjp8_9V89/view

All of my characters can be found here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1oX_Cm8ARtGi3LkNs0fGF_QkIGtXb1p4j

Here's the link to my Google site where I usually update news and add-ons:
https://sites.google.com/view/ichida-mugen-projects

Spoiler: Coming soon. (click to see content)
#204  December 12, 2022, 04:20:10 am
  • Known as Paulo S
  • Ganbarimasu!
    • Philippines
I found some errors for Strider, and that affects on most of zoom stages:

-The camera will zoom out if you climb higher on Wall Cling.
-He'll stuck in mid-air if you do Change Wall twice.
#205  December 12, 2022, 06:38:37 am
    • Vietnam
Using MUGEN 1.1, I tested Hiryu with a couple stages with zoom and found that this bug only occured with stages that had tensionhigh and tension low in it. If the stage was shown in the screenshot had them stated, you might want to remove them from it as it won't affect the zoom feature of the stage.
#206  December 12, 2022, 06:02:38 pm
    • Portugal
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/
This is a cool version of Sutoraida. I like how you converted some of his moves to the 3 button scheme.

Some feedback:

- His hurtboxes are really way too big. Jumping hurtboxes allow other characters to sweep him in the air
- A,A,A (air) in the readme is just A,A
- I think guard cancels should have some recovery time instead of being 100% invulnerable
- The tiger in Formation suffers a little cornerpush after hitting which I think is unintentional
- I think the passive attacks during Ouroboros (when Strider's just standing nexto to P2) shouldn't combo into each other (less hittime probably). I know yours works like MvC but the longer duration makes that property a bit silly
- Finishing with Ragnarok leaves the screen zoomed out
- I think P2 bounces the wrong way after being thrown
- I think his height should be lower than average (60)
- His command choices are a bit weird I think. You already have good pointers for those in MvC3. In particular I don't think Ame-no-Murakamo should lose QCF status in favor of projectile attacks. Personal opinion:
   - Ame-no-Murakamo QCF
   - Formation QCB
   - Formation B, Vajra and Wall Cling RDP
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
My Mugen and Ikemen content can also be found here.
Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 06:10:06 pm by PotS
#207  December 13, 2022, 02:58:22 am
    • Vietnam
- His hurtboxes are really way too big. Jumping hurtboxes allow other characters to sweep him in the air
Comparing Hiryu with the hi-res characters I've made before, his size is shorter than everybody as he's just merely half the height of them. The hurtboxes were intentionally extended to make every attack compatible with him since having a small size with small hurtboxes could be an advantage for the lo-res characters to avoid opponents' attacks or jut out favorably during their combos.

- I think guard cancels should have some recovery time instead of being 100% invulnerable
Guard Cancel is a general mechanic that gain full invincibility during the whole animation. It allows you to interrupt the opponent's current attack but in return you have to spend meter for it. I don't think it's something I can make changes to at this point yet at the same time I also think that the move should worth something as you already spent meter for it.

- I think P2 bounces the wrong way after being thrown
It was intentional. The original idea is that in most of OHMSBY's styled character, successfully performing a throw usually grant you an opportunity to continue your attack. This explains why his neutral throws ground bounces the opponent on hit instead of wall bouncing them and why he rolled forward instead of backward just like the source game.

- His command choices are a bit weird I think. You already have good pointers for those in MvC3. In particular I don't think Ame-no-Murakamo should lose QCF status in favor of projectile attacks. Personal opinion:
   - Ame-no-Murakamo QCF
   - Formation QCB
   - Formation B, Vajra and Wall Cling RDP
Yeah I actually wanted to make the QCF commands for Ame-no-Murakamo and Gram but then they were used to Formation and its variants eventually. Once again it was an intentional setup to keep Hiryu's commands consistent with most of my characters since most of them had their specials commands based on this following structure:
   - 236+X / QCF+X are the commands for helper/projectile attacks.
   - 214+X / QCB+X are the commands for most of their physical specials attacks.
   - 623+X / DP + X are the command for the reversals.
   - 22+X / DD+X are the commands for the extra skills. In Hiryu's case, they were used for Warp and its variants.

It was my intention to make 623B command for his B version of Ame-no-Murakamo and in this case it also functions as his reversal. With that being said, to keep his 623X series consistent with each other, I decided to use them for Ame-no-Murakamo and Gram. The Formation series use the 236X commands and the rest will be used by the 214X series.

Other than the feedback I've responded, the rest are fixed. You can redownload Hiryu now.
#208  December 13, 2022, 05:39:07 pm
    • Portugal
I had a feeling most of those were conscious decisions. If his size is an issue maybe you could give him the fully corrected aspect ratio (240/224 for the Y scale).
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
#209  December 13, 2022, 06:18:14 pm
    • Vietnam
Nah I guess I'll be fine with his current size as ZolidSone told me to adjust his X scale to 0.833 while still keep Y scale 1. I'll consider making changes to them in the future if necessary.
#210  December 14, 2022, 01:54:19 am
  • I'm 100% Team OHMSBY now.
    • USA
I had a feeling most of those were conscious decisions. If his size is an issue maybe you could give him the fully corrected aspect ratio (240/224 for the Y scale).
About that. When I tested your characters, I thought the xscale was supposed to be 1 since you changed it on certain CPS2 characters on your 2022 updates. You admitted that you and other creators collectively messed up the aspect ratio and left both x and y scales to 1 back in Winmugen days. Turns out you were right and any CPS2 characters made have to be set in that xscale. Here is a comparison of him in the source game and by another author:

The left is him in MvC using Fightcade set in the "correct aspect ratio" while the right is DW's version using 0.833 xscale. This is the same one you use on Sakura, Guy, Nash, Karin, E. Honda and Cammy. So isn't yours supposed to be the fully corrected aspect ratio as well? Your yscale is still 1 on them, so why does Ichida need to change it if that was correct in the first place? You can't make it bigger as it would stretch the sprites. Also, the characters are meant to be played on 4:3 aspect ratio in mind. You can still use them in 16:9, but it will block certain aesthetics such as the Astral Heat text. I believe MvC2 releases on PS3/Xbox 360 keep it that size even on widescreen.
I will still do detail and aesthetic feedback for the rest.
Last Edit: December 14, 2022, 02:00:59 am by ZolidSone
Re: [Ichida Thread]: 5 DBFC Characters Quick Update (12/14/2022)
#211  December 14, 2022, 04:13:20 am
    • Vietnam
Speaking of characters' scaling, I might as well launch this quick update on the DBFC characters as I noticed that they looked a little bigger than OHMSBY's. Turned out the initial scale should be 0.315, rather than 0.33. So,

-Miyuki Shiba, Selvaria Bles, Kimono Asuna, Tatsuya Shiba and Akira Yuki have received a quick update.
   +General aesthetics adjustment.
   +Reduced characters's scaling from 0.33 to 0.315.

Additional update (if there are any):
Miyuki Shiba, Tatsuya Shiba and Akira Yuki:
   +Added Intro Vs. Emi Yusa.
   +Added new palettes and palette folder for Miyuki Shiba.
#212  December 14, 2022, 05:18:47 am
    • USA
I failed to notice the size as well because OHMSBY hasn't got back to DBFC again until Shana. Because now their scaling has been changed, there's a chance that their hitsparks and effect placements will now be now misaligned. I only did a quick test on them and this is what I found:

Everyone:
-Their forward air dash effect are misaligned (They feel slightly higher now and probably the same goes with the backwards version).

Kimono Asuna:
-Her hitsparks and guard sparks on her command normals seems to be farther than they were originally supposed to be.

Akira:
-His dodge dusts when dodging forward/backwards are slightly lower.
-The guard spark when Hougeki Unshin Soukoshou is blocked is not the same position as 5BB or when it successfully connects.

Also, I have a suggestion for Akira as well. Since he's in PXZ2, would it be nice if you can give him in Astral Cut In from that game like you did with Hiryu or just keep it the way it is so it's consistent with the other DBFC characters? I noticed the links Little Fox: Tres Truenos provided and noticed he has one from that game (Sadly Selvaria doesn't have one though). If not and rather stick with the latter, that's totally fine.
#213  December 14, 2022, 05:47:49 am
    • Vietnam
All done.

Also, I have a suggestion for Akira as well. Since he's in PXZ2, would it be nice if you can give him in Astral Cut In from that game like you did with Hiryu or just keep it the way it is so it's consistent with the other DBFC characters? I noticed the links Little Fox: Tres Truenos provided and noticed he has one from that game (Sadly Selvaria doesn't have one though). If not and rather stick with the latter, that's totally fine.
PXZ2 cut-ins are cool, but I'd prefer keeping Akira consistent with other DBFC characters.

#214  December 14, 2022, 06:39:31 am
    • USA
I checked out everyone's forward air dash effect and it seems that Tatsuya and Selvaria in particular are still misaligned. I decided to check them before the scale change just to make sure if they were before. As it turns out, it always has been misaligned and the scale change just made it much more noticeable. That's why the air dash particles can sometimes appear underneath it due to their tall size. The back forward air dash should be fine after checking again. And Selvaria's dodge dust on her forward dodge is higher than her backwards one.

For Kimono Asuna, the only hitspark and guard spark that is still farther away when it connects is her 2C and Miyuki's 2C could also be higher when it hits the opponent in the air as I noticed how large the hitbox is. Other than that, that should be it for all 5 of them.

PXZ2 cut-ins are cool, but I'd prefer keeping Akira consistent with other DBFC characters.
Yeah, figured as much. And since him and Selvaria are both guests characters by Sega in DBFC, wouldn't make sense if the other doesn't have one either.
#215  December 14, 2022, 07:03:29 am
    • Vietnam
Fixed.
#216  December 14, 2022, 07:46:55 am
  • PANTERA: VULGAR DISPLAY OF POWER
  • business as usual
    • New Zealand
Already a big fan of Ohmsby's creations and seeing a character like Strider get the same sort of gameplay style ever tickles my fancy since they're some of my favorites to play
You think a color separation patch could be plausible for em? :0c
"I'm the only genius in the whole fucking business." - Director of the cinematic adaptation of Postal
#217  December 14, 2022, 07:20:05 pm
    • Portugal
About that. When I tested your characters, I thought the xscale was supposed to be 1 since you changed it on certain CPS2 characters on your 2022 updates. You admitted that you and other creators collectively messed up the aspect ratio and left both x and y scales to 1 back in Winmugen days.
Just to clarify that a bit, I didn't mean it like people were just incompetent back then. What happened was that, back when 320x240 was the most common resolution (or the only one? I forget), resizing characters used to just flat out look bad, so people just used the stretched sprites. Then I suppose a chain reaction happened and because X character had stretchy sprites, Y character was also released like that, and so on.
It wasn't until Warusaki released a few dozen resized CvS2 characters that it gained traction, I think. It was rare to see corrected aspect ratio before then.

The left is him in MvC using Fightcade set in the "correct aspect ratio" while the right is DW's version using 0.833 xscale.
One thing to keep in mind is that some emulators will correct aspect ratio by making the window smaller, and others by making it bigger. You have to make that comparison with a screenshot the same size as Mugen.

Here's Marvel 1 and 2 in 4:3 640x480:

You might notice that he's a bit taller (7% give or take). To be precise in Mugen this scale would be X=320/384 and Y=240/224. Since size is an issue here I was suggesting Ichida to use this aspect ratio.

This is the same one you use on Sakura, Guy, Nash, Karin, E. Honda and Cammy. So isn't yours supposed to be the fully corrected aspect ratio as well? Your yscale is still 1 on them, so why does Ichida need to change it if that was correct in the first place? You can't make it bigger as it would stretch the sprites. Also, the characters are meant to be played on 4:3 aspect ratio in mind. You can still use them in 16:9, but it will block certain aesthetics such as the Astral Heat text. I believe MvC2 releases on PS3/Xbox 360 keep it that size even on widescreen.
My characters use the "CvS" scale. In that game Capcom had to mix the new sprites (Ryu, etc) with the old stretchy ones (Cammy, etc) so they went easier on the resizing and only did it to the X scale. I use that scale arbitrarily because most characters don't look so good when you make them taller. Strider actually looks OK, I think (maybe because Capcom had already nailed the sprite style by the time they did MvC1).
#218  December 15, 2022, 03:24:53 pm
    • USA
Scratch that, I actually got some more on Miyuki as I discovered a few things. Just her only:
-The hitspark and guard sparks of EX Freezing Zone and EX Gungnir is misaligned when the projectile hits the opponent in the air.
-Cocytus is unblockable when it hits the opponent in the air (Don't remember if this was intentional).
-The guard spark of Inferno is misaligned when it connects in the air.

Just to clarify that a bit, I didn't mean it like people were just incompetent back then. What happened was that, back when 320x240 was the most common resolution (or the only one? I forget), resizing characters used to just flat out look bad, so people just used the stretched sprites. Then I suppose a chain reaction happened and because X character had stretchy sprites, Y character was also released like that, and so on.
It wasn't until Warusaki released a few dozen resized CvS2 characters that it gained traction, I think. It was rare to see corrected aspect ratio before then.
I know what you mean and I probably would have made the same mistake too. I was also using this video later on to determine the scaling:

One thing to keep in mind is that some emulators will correct aspect ratio by making the window smaller, and others by making it bigger. You have to make that comparison with a screenshot the same size as Mugen.
I had the window size on the emulator set 4x while my M.U.G.E.N's GameWidth and GameHeight was set to 1280 x 960 when I made the screenshot. Should still be 640 x 480, but doubled and upscaled.

You might notice that he's a bit taller (7% give or take). To be precise in Mugen this scale would be X=320/384 and Y=240/224. Since size is an issue here I was suggesting Ichida to use this aspect ratio.
If Ichida still wants to change that, I'll leave that to him. Plus it also helps me since I actually considered wanting to make CPS2 characters in OHMSBY's style as well. That way, I can use that proper size and should be the same for all.

My characters use the "CvS" scale. In that game Capcom had to mix the new sprites (Ryu, etc) with the old stretchy ones (Cammy, etc) so they went easier on the resizing and only did it to the X scale. I use that scale arbitrarily because most characters don't look so good when you make them taller. Strider actually looks OK, I think (maybe because Capcom had already nailed the sprite style by the time they did MvC1).
When it comes to the old stretchy sprites, it's hard to see the difference between CvS, MvC or SFA that were recycled when those characters appear in both games. I've been looking at other various authors like Infinite, Cyanide and DCL since I know they made a couple of MvC characters for 1.0. I do feel like he's way too stretched had it been left on 1 for both. That why I thought it was best to play it safe and keep it consistent with their CPS2 characters of that same size.
#219  December 15, 2022, 04:37:00 pm
    • Vietnam
Alright, Hiryu's YScale now will be 1.07 and his XScale will still remain 0.833. Honestly speaking, I wasn't familiar with the ratio in the first place since my main focus were still the hi-res characters until PotS brought it on the table. Nevertheless I had no intention to mess the scale up so might as well keep him consistent with other authors' works despite the fact that I'm not gonna pick them very often to work on.

Also, Miyuki has received a quick update too. Go ahead and redownload.

-Cocytus is unblockable when it hits the opponent in the air (Don't remember if this was intentional).
This was intentional.

Already a big fan of Ohmsby's creations and seeing a character like Strider get the same sort of gameplay style ever tickles my fancy since they're some of my favorites to play
You think a color separation patch could be plausible for em? :0c
I don't think it's possible for me to do at this point. Although ZolidSone offered me to use Moon Girard's sprites for Hiryu but I refused to do so as I wanted to keep the Cypher swishes with him.

#220  December 15, 2022, 09:06:26 pm
  • PANTERA: VULGAR DISPLAY OF POWER
  • business as usual
    • New Zealand
That's understandable, the swishes do add that distinct flair for Strider after all, do you think theres other characters like Strider outside the usual high-res characters (P4 Arena, Blazblue, Guilty Gear, ect) that you may consider converting into the OHMSBY playstyle someday? (ik theres an actual name for the playstyle but idk the actual name X_X)
"I'm the only genius in the whole fucking business." - Director of the cinematic adaptation of Postal