YesNoOk

The controversy over Sprites (Read 3257 times)

Started by Duo Solo, September 18, 2009, 03:23:08 am
Share this topic:
Re: The controversy over Sprites
#21  September 19, 2009, 06:43:14 am
  • Helpful Hermit
    • USA
This completely reminds me of the whole Silent Storm thing.

The only thing I see a problem with are custom sprites.  People can use as many of the original sprites as they want but custom sprites, even if they mimic the original style completely, are off limits unless the creator of said sprites says someone else can use them.
If you require my assistance, please feel free to contact me on Discord: 2DMirage#5299
Commissions/Requests are closed. Please do not ask.
#22  September 20, 2009, 04:10:14 am
    • USA
This completely reminds me of the whole Silent Storm thing.

The only thing I see a problem with are custom sprites.  People can use as many of the original sprites as they want but custom sprites, even if they mimic the original style completely, are off limits unless the creator of said sprites says someone else can use them.
[2]
I like your wisdom dude. Wisdom...
#23  September 20, 2009, 05:58:50 am
I have no problem giving a little credit here and there to rippers, because they need thanks and whatnot for going through the ripping stage.
But if they take complete ownership of the character it's not worth the trouble, and It's idiotic to claim something you don't fully own.
If they had made the character their whole self, that wouldn't be a problem; annoying yes but all the work they did needs to be known.

Sig made by Doromac, the silly goose.

Originally Posted by hsieh10 on ACX:
If I were to preorder the game in Australia, would the language be English or Australian? (or is English the official language in Australia as well?)
#24  September 20, 2009, 11:37:38 am
Cite examples of people who have done that.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#25  September 20, 2009, 03:21:53 pm
  • A living Mugen dinossaur :)
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
    • www.brazilmugenteam.com
This subject again?

...I lost the count how many times someone had posted this before...

In a short:

:omg:
You "give credit" to these guys (you thank them) because they took time and did some work to provide you with the sprites, something you didn't take the time to do yourself. You simply thank them for taking the time to do it, for putting some work in it.

Its simple like that,capisce?
#26  September 20, 2009, 07:20:34 pm
just steal them aint like they gonna kno you didnt rip them yourself... unless they are custom sprites. if you steall custom sprites without permission you will kill an african baby

On The Lips
#27  September 20, 2009, 08:16:51 pm
aint like they gonna kno you didnt rip them yourself
Oh, but they will know. They have ways you never heard about. Some of them know certain dark arts, they make sacrifices and all, they call out Satan, and they will know.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#28  September 21, 2009, 12:20:34 am
aint like they gonna kno you didnt rip them yourself
Oh, but they will know. They have ways you never heard about. Some of them know certain dark arts, they make sacrifices and all, they call out Satan, and they will know.
That better be a fucking joke, cuz witches scare tha living shit outta me  :o 

On The Lips
#29  September 21, 2009, 10:31:38 am
  • Three times thicker font than a normal user.
Witch ones?
Imagine a zanguief runing to attack ryu, ryu does a quick+kind of weak fast punch and hit the chest of zanguief, will this punch be enough to zanguief say/think \"oh no, this punch hurted a little, I better stop the attack and put my hand on my chest to help contain the pain while ignoring if ryu is going to make other attacks now"

Cenobite 53 said:
If someone isn't able to get girls laid, why buying this exorcist needing piece of retardet piece of bullshit an not wisiting his local red light district. For that money he could  :hump: tons of hookers.
#30  September 21, 2009, 05:12:40 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
#31  September 22, 2009, 05:58:48 am
    • USA
#32  September 27, 2009, 07:45:24 pm
i dont know what to say about permission but i do agree about the ownership part. and its a little hypocritical.

aren't we ALL warehousers. since capcom/snk ARE the original?

My messed up private mugen!
#33  September 27, 2009, 07:49:31 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
What... warehouses mean what exactly if you are considering warehouses anyone that helds fanart of capcom and snk?
#34  September 27, 2009, 07:51:09 pm
  • Three times thicker font than a normal user.
In other words, Deviant Art is a warehouse.
Imagine a zanguief runing to attack ryu, ryu does a quick+kind of weak fast punch and hit the chest of zanguief, will this punch be enough to zanguief say/think \"oh no, this punch hurted a little, I better stop the attack and put my hand on my chest to help contain the pain while ignoring if ryu is going to make other attacks now"

Cenobite 53 said:
If someone isn't able to get girls laid, why buying this exorcist needing piece of retardet piece of bullshit an not wisiting his local red light district. For that money he could  :hump: tons of hookers.
#35  September 27, 2009, 08:07:10 pm
  • Aka ShadesTeam/Zeckle
Spoiler: slightly off topic (click to see content)

People in the community can be dicks on just about anything, hosting, codes, sprites.  So I just say (now) fuck it and become open source, that way none of it can really bother me anymore. 
Shades 2 site:Shades of Manhattan
#36  September 28, 2009, 05:31:24 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
People can be dicks about you being opensource.

GT

#37  September 28, 2009, 05:36:04 pm
    • USA
    • Skype - gt_ruby
lmao
Yeah Titiln, in fact, You Made Him
#38  September 29, 2009, 04:09:26 am
  • Fuck Windows 8!!!! I use adult OSes to work!!!
    • Mexico
I guess that is a bit of missunderstanding and bad use of terms... Some authors say the sprites are theirs while they shoud say they ripped the sprites themselves, in that case you show respect about the time he gave off ripping that stuff, also coding it.

But what I don't understand is that, you say the sprites ARE yours (they are not, they are Capcom's or SNK's or whoever... ¬¬) that is not logical, what you did is TO RIP the sprites, so the hard work of ripping and giving a pallete is YOURS... What does that mean? If you RESPECT that author, you should credit him if you use his sprites for coding your own version... that's all, not because the sprites are MADE by him... because are not, they ARE RIPPED, not done by hand.

Simple terminology, that doesn't mean you will do whatever you want without a lil' "Thanks for your time dude", credit should be a courtesy for those who gave some of his time coding and converting a char into mugen engine.

This opens up some new leads, I think that the ONLY authors that have the PRIVILEGE to make non-opensource chars are the ones who did ORIGINAL chars (Maybe excepting Elecbyte, just because they did KFM for educational purposes only, and they decided so, as many other can do as well)... No offense, we all really apreciate the effort of converting existing chars (like ryu, ken, iori...) but they are copyrighted already to another company, and the sprites and the moves and original idea was from another guy, not the author who converted it. I forget to include in the non-opensourse - if you like so- type the sprite edits, because they are sprites made from scratch to improve character visual stile, or changing it, this kind of creators also may have the right to decde if they stablish their stuff as open source or not, reasons stablished before.

Resuming:
1.- Original chars can be open or non-open source, they are original and their author has the right. (he DID create them)
2.- Chars that got new original sprites or sprite edits can get rule 1 aplied, but ONLY in the sprite edits (since they were created, not ripped) code related to them also get rule 1 aplied.
3.- Converted chars should be open source, at least the sprite data, since they don't register changes from the original game into mugen, (no edits, no frankenspriting, not created by the author, just ripped) code data is discretional. Anyways, you SHOULD always credit the author of the convertion, he spent some time ripping, putting correct axes, palleting, coding and animating, he deserves that in all senses.

Is just my point of view, just for relaxing stuff here... I feel like, whenever someone considers this as a hobby or not, sometimes I feel like this is somewhat stressing... for most people...

See ya!!! :D
This is the era in which we will see reason triumphing against brutality... May be better to open your mind to the future.
------------------------------------------------------
<- [Clicky - Clicky]
Current Universal War Official Artwork