YesNoOk

Hyper Dragon Ball Z: April 2014 initial release thread + discussion (Read 426452 times)

Started by Iced, April 05, 2014, 05:48:51 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Hyper Dragon Ball Z
#281  April 30, 2014, 02:49:18 am
Am I the only one that actually enjoys the select screen having mugen all over just to drive the point home that this isnt a commercial game? I kinda would like to keep that going on. Drives the whole idea that this is indie and it prevents people from trying to sell it or whatever as if it was a real game.

Strongly disagree. The standard motif is just awful in both appearance and sound. A lack of motif never stopped the sale of other way-worse-looking M.U.G.E.N compilations before.

About the lifebars: There was a yellow scouter in the movie Cooler's Revenge. The "red" scouter had a greyish-pink display in the show. Barring those alternates, I prefer 3, then 6.

Have you considered adding the player's names where the 3 meter level pits are currently? Using a custom small version of a geometric font could give the name a similar look to the original symbols. Googling random fonts led me to this as an example: http://www.pickafont.com/fonts/Geometric.html
#282  April 30, 2014, 02:55:35 am
    • xxlunytun3sxx@aim.com
I think he just meant any screenpack that is original or at least has the word MUGEN in it I.E BrokenMUGEN,Mugen fighting jam etc. but if not then yea i agree, the standard screenpack is really boring and plain.
http://www.twitch.tv/zer0degr33z

I sometimes stream MUGEN. Join me!
#283  April 30, 2014, 11:15:55 am
  • I stand alone.
    • UK
    • hyperionx.net
Am I the only one that actually enjoys the select screen having mugen all over just to drive the point home that this isnt a commercial game? I kinda would like to keep that going on. Drives the whole idea that this is indie and it prevents people from trying to sell it or whatever as if it was a real game.

I would do the same, "powered by MUGEN" etc.

Also add a disclaimer somewhere (maybe before the CPS2 or whatever the arcade stuff is called) that "if you paid money for this game, you have been scammed, please report the seller and go get your money back"

Strongly disagree. The standard motif is just awful in both appearance and sound. A lack of motif never stopped the sale of other way-worse-looking M.U.G.E.N compilations before.

I didn't read it as he'll slap mugen across the screenpack, but in some little corners and nooks, though it seems we're all looking at it from different viewpoints here.
Don't PM me. =(
(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)
#284  April 30, 2014, 12:40:44 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
Yeah, surely a simple "Powered by M.U.G.E.N" in the intro credits sequence would suffice?

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#285  April 30, 2014, 05:07:09 pm
Early lifebars projects are great!
Here is my suggestion:

I did them for my own screenpack. Their advantages are that they do not take up space so you can enjoy the beauty of stages.
#286  April 30, 2014, 05:42:47 pm
    • Netherlands
    • network.mugenguild.com/balthazar/index.html
I dunno that just feels like something is missing ... can't shake that feeling!
I love Daeron's design so far :)
#287  April 30, 2014, 05:57:26 pm
  • Helpful Hermit
    • USA
Early lifebars projects are great!
Here is my suggestion:
picture
I did them for my own screenpack. Their advantages are that they do not take up space so you can enjoy the beauty of stages.
Personally, I've always hated round gauge health bars.
If you require my assistance, please feel free to contact me on Discord: 2DMirage#5299
Commissions/Requests are closed. Please do not ask.
#288  April 30, 2014, 07:19:46 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
Let's not forget that for a full game, it's possible to have some custom stuff going on for lifebars.

We can have custom portraits if needed.
Another thing I've always loved was the interaction portraits in Dragon Ball Legends on Saturn : the portraits would change whether you're in idle state, attack or gethit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHqwXfyFtqQ
#289  April 30, 2014, 08:37:58 pm
    • Portugal
I dunno that just feels like something is missing ... can't shake that feeling!
I love Daeron's design so far :)

This. Round gauge health bars just don't work in a game like this where most of the stuff is full of fan-service and care. Daeron's design not only caters to DBZ fans (because scouter and Budokai 1) but it caters to fighting game fans alike due to its simplicity and how well it meshes with everyhting else.
#290  May 01, 2014, 12:02:45 am
  • Where's Gohan!
    • USA
    • E_Harrington19@hotmail.com
Speaking of health bars is there a way to make it so that all attacked Siabamen take health from the main gauge? Or at least the other Saibamen could attack as 'VS series' styled assist characters. It would be a good way to make them fair and playable.
#291  May 01, 2014, 02:57:19 am
    • USA
    • aaronbrown21229@gmail.com
Saibamen are really easy to beat though...but it's not conventional at all I suppose.
Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 03:03:08 am by TGYMK
#292  May 01, 2014, 03:10:18 am
    • soulandsword.ruroken.com
Great job guys.. I am definitely looking forward to the finished product.  Re: the lifebars, I'm liking #3 as well because of the color balance.  Tomo's round lifebars look nice too but it only looks appropriate for 4 player simul mode.

I agree with Cybaster with regards to animated portraits. Jojo's Adventure had this too and I thought it looked awesome.

HQ

#293  May 01, 2014, 02:58:48 pm
Let's not forget that for a full game, it's possible to have some custom stuff going on for lifebars.

Another thing I've always loved was the interaction portraits in Dragon Ball Legends on Saturn : the portraits would change whether you're in idle state, attack or gethit.

If I remember right, LadyKiki, had all of them ripped years ago back in zgteam times plus made all the existing ones too, could be some good reference.
#294  May 02, 2014, 12:36:09 am
#295  May 02, 2014, 02:13:03 am
  • I stand alone.
    • UK
    • hyperionx.net

If I remember right, LadyKiki, had all of them ripped years ago back in zgteam times plus made all the existing ones too, could be some good reference.

Yeh I ripped and uploaded/shared them but I didn't make or edit any. Still, here they are if someone wants to have a play, I'm sure any DBZ fan would have them anyway haha :D

It's on my dropbox, too lazy to FTP it up, so if bandwith errors occur let me know, otherwise, I'm sure the team would want to draw their own anyway, but take it as inspiration/quick reference if anything =)
Don't PM me. =(
(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)
#296  May 03, 2014, 07:40:33 pm
I recall Felo finding (or making, I don't remember) this portrait for Mr Satan.

I reuploaded it so it won't get lost.
#297  May 03, 2014, 07:45:30 pm
  • NINJA COP SAIZOU
    • Mexico
I think it was Chamat.
#298  May 03, 2014, 09:38:24 pm
    • Netherlands
    • network.mugenguild.com/balthazar/index.html
I don't think we're going to focus on Satan anymore though, he (and Saibamen) are going to be excluded from any further sample updates. Probably.
#299  May 04, 2014, 09:55:01 pm
  • Whats a girlfriend? its something you can eat?
    • Spain
Just to know ive just pm Noz to see if we can start the coding of the lifebars.

Ive decided to go with design Nº3 as it seems to be one of the most voted, maybe when we have them ready we can make an alternate version with design Nº6 because it seemed to be the second favorited
#300  May 05, 2014, 05:49:56 am
  • Where's Gohan!
    • USA
    • E_Harrington19@hotmail.com
I don't think we're going to focus on Satan anymore though, he (and Saibamen) are going to be excluded from any further sample updates. Probably.

That's too bad they have real potential to be really fun characters if they were taken on as a serious project. I even had suggestions on how to improve them.