YesNoOk

[Theme Thread] CVS Sprite thread (Read 3129891 times)

Started by Formerly Hoshi, April 21, 2010, 09:51:37 pm
Re: [Theme Thread] CVS Sprite thread
#141  August 20, 2010, 11:48:43 am
Work in progress: Tekken 5 Feng

I'm stuck on the folds of his sash really. I know about most of the things that need to be fixed, but I dont want to do any of that till I have the sash out of the way. And yes, I know he's supposed to have patterns on his left leg. I'm gonna wait until I have all the basics done before I go into details.

this lloks good and its good to see more Tekken characters being made

Monkey D. Luffy W.I.P Thanks to C.R.O.M Lando
#142  August 20, 2010, 12:18:47 pm
Thank you for comment. I'd like to finish it, but like I said, I'm stuck on the folds of his sash, or whatever it is.

I forgot something, though. I must add that I heavily referred to another Feng sprite for the head, which is why it may seem a tad too big (I don't have that artists' name on hand, sorry). Heads have always been a thorn in my side when spriting.
#143  August 20, 2010, 09:16:45 pm
  • I am a ghost.
    • USA
    • www.bmarquis.com
There isn't enough contrast on the artists' left shoulder, and it looks like it isn't there. Try adding a darker outline.

The artists' right leg is too big. Try to make it smaller. Also on the subject of his right leg, the outline is too thick. try to start with a 1 pixel thick outline, and add darker and lighter shades to that outline as necessary. And finally, the foot on this leg is pointing towards us a bit too much. It makes his ankle look broken!

I can't see the artists' left arm, but it's pose is implied by the position and orientation of the artists' left hand. It seems unnatural. In other words, either have the fist point not directly at the viewer, or move the fist further from the body.

His sleeves don't look like they are attached to his shirt. Infact, they look like shoulder pads! I think what you were trying to do was convey a sense of bagginess, but it would be a better idea to start with the underlying form first, because it doesn't look like the sleeves are touching the arms at all.

This is a good start! I encourage you to work hard and perfect this sprite if you can!

Thank you! Those are shoulder pads, by the way.
Accusare nemo se debet nisi coram Veridis
DYNOMITE
#144  August 20, 2010, 10:28:42 pm
Oh, my mistake. In that case, however, you need to take into account the fact that they can be mistaken for sleeves! What material are they supposed to be made of, and how are they supposed to connect to his shirt at the shoulder? This information will help me give you an idea of how to make them look more like shoulder pads.
#145  August 20, 2010, 10:42:33 pm
  • I am a ghost.
    • USA
    • www.bmarquis.com
Funny, really, the cover art Doesn't really help me. It looks like they just put it on their shoulders without any hook or snap. At the most, they can be like modified Dogpileball uniforms.
DYNOMITE
#146  August 21, 2010, 12:29:31 am
Oh I thought this was an original character. Can you post a link to the game he is from, or a picture? Searching Syoh on google isn't turning up anything. Actually, never mind. He's from Tuff E Nuff? Well if that isn't obscure!

The shoulder pads extend out, away from the body. In the pose you have him in, it looks more like a sleeve. Try exposing more of his arm, as in that position, that shoulder pad (on his right arm) would be pointing almost right at us. Keep this in mind for his other shoulder pad as well.

The pads also seem to be made of metal. Keeping in mind the lightsource (directly overhead), try to make it look more like metal. A good place to start would be using only grey tones for the shoulder pads at first, making sure the shading looks more like metal. When you're done with that, try and change some of the grey tones into colors that better match the source material. Grey is usually a difficult color to work with, but in the case of metal, it wouldn't hurt to start with it.
Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 12:34:22 am by Kaze Masamune
#147  August 21, 2010, 01:21:37 am
  • I am a ghost.
    • USA
    • www.bmarquis.com
Are you looking at the cover art, the manual art, or the sprite?

The Cover art has it extending out, but the manual art/sprite made it look like it could be a combo sleeve/shoulder pad.

I would scan it, but I still have my printer/manual at Georgia.
DYNOMITE
#148  August 21, 2010, 01:58:51 am
I was looking at one of the portraits in that little story intro. I couldn't find the cover art, or any other hand drawn art for that matter.

I'd say follow what the cover art depicts, though. Sprites tended to not be all that good, or follow the original design of characters all that tightly in that era. If the cover art depicts shoulder pads that extend out, it'd be a good idea to follow that design for your CvS styled sprite.
#149  August 21, 2010, 02:28:31 am
  • I am a ghost.
    • USA
    • www.bmarquis.com
Okay, that, I will.
DYNOMITE
#150  August 21, 2010, 04:40:49 am
  • ✯Uh...✯
    • USA
    • http://dnicknbd.wix.com/lostintranslation
My retry of Troy :-\

Trying to make a comeback
#151  August 21, 2010, 04:56:59 am
  • Fuck You.
 :wacky: nice man
i cant count the reasons i should stay

one by one they all just fade away...

http://nero-blanco.deviantart.com/
#152  August 21, 2010, 05:03:58 am
  • ✯Uh...✯
    • USA

#153  August 21, 2010, 05:09:10 am
  • Fuck You.
nah just a few minor adjustments and yer square

#154  August 21, 2010, 05:13:38 am
  • ✯Uh...✯
    • USA

#155  August 21, 2010, 05:16:39 am
  • Fuck You.
well for one the artist's left arm is a bit oddly proportioned

the midsection is a little long

and the legs are a bit short even if thats the position he's in.

thats all i see

also long head

#156  August 21, 2010, 05:51:53 am
  • Always in control, I patrol my hood.
    • USA
    • www.youtube.com/mugenfan556

Yep, another OC. C&C's plz.

Spoiler: PSN (click to see content)
[/center]
#157  August 21, 2010, 05:56:08 am
    • USA

Yep, another OC. C&C's plz.

:P What is that? looks like some evil cyborg Smiley guy.

~Left Leg is waay to skinny.
~Right leg is proportioned wrong
~Arms need to look more muscular and sprite/shade in some muscle tones.
~No Neck?
~Shoulders could use some work.

Other than that you got the shading down.
#158  August 21, 2010, 06:04:12 am
  • Always in control, I patrol my hood.
    • USA
    • www.youtube.com/mugenfan556

Spoiler: PSN (click to see content)
[/center]
Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 06:35:11 am by Jp
#159  August 21, 2010, 06:33:10 am
My retry of Troy :-\

His head looks tall. I make that distinction because while the head seems to be too tall, it is actually just as tall as Ryu's is. Nonetheless, it looks too tall. Consider shrinking it down anyway.

A good way to practice cvs style is to copy palettes. In your case, I would copy the skin palette from another cvs character that has similar muscle definition to the character you are making. The reason you should pick someone with similar muscle definition is because muscles themselves create shadow on the limbs they are connected to. More muscular characters have more skin shades to imply the pits and falls of various muscle groups. Another reason is that you'll be able to get a general idea of how to shade certain muscle groups by looking at the sprite you got the palette from. Take my incomplete Feng sprite, for instance. That skin palette is infact, Ryu's. And from looking at how Ryu's sprite uses these colors to highlight and define his muscle groups, I was able to make good judgements and highlight and define Feng's muscle groups. As a side note, Feng and Ryu differ the most in their deltoid muscles. Feng has some weird shoulders!

Now, onto the torso. He's got a bit of a pot belly there! Part of the reason it looks that way is because of bad anatomy, and the other part is due to poor anti aliasing. I'll talk about the bad anatomy first.

While pectorals can take on any number of shapes (look at Feng Wei artwork. His look like man boobs!), yours just don't look like pecs. Because of the shading you used to outline where his pecs word be, they look like...well...man boobs! It looks like this character is supposed to be wearing a slightly baggy a-vest, right? These shirts are always tight around the upper chest area, so anything you do up there will look skin-tight when you do it on a sprite.

Here is an example of a character that wears a tight shirt. Do you see how the shadow basically defines the shape of the pectorals? Also, every A-shirt I've ever worn is tight all the way down to my waist. Look at how Yamazaki's shirt utilizes shading that implies the muscle groups underneath, but doesn't define them as much as a bare-chested would. That's what you should be aiming for. That will get rid of the pot-belliedness, and help define where his waist actually is, so his legs will seem longer. Also, keep in mind that the lightsource in cvs sprites is directly above the character. Because you have the highlight shade going so far down, it looks like his stomach is protruding out far enough to be catching the light!

Now, onto the subject of anti aliasing. The whole point of anti-aliasing is to blend colors into one another. It's hard to describe this concept without a picture, but I don't have time to do that so I'll do the best I can.

What you have done is called "pillow shading". Basically you have taken one color, placed it next to another, and outlined (or traced, both words could be used) the entire resulting edge with the shade inbetween. This is a no no! You are only to place this "in between" shade at areas where this jagged line created by placing these two colors together is noticeable.

(I know. Didnt I say I didn't have time to do this? Oh well :P)

This should explain it fairly well for you. Obviously, you have alot more shades to work with, and you have to deal with curves and completely different colors intersecting. How you deal with that is something you'll have to learn on your own.

Good luck!

@Jp many of the things I just said apply to you too, but your character isn't even human so alot of what I said doesn't apply too. Just work on your anti-aliasing and you'll be alright. Awesome job so far!

Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 06:37:01 am by Kaze Masamune

MDD

#160  August 21, 2010, 06:45:42 am
  • OG Pallette Goon
  • Only here for one night let me put it on ya face