YesNoOk

transparency color showing in game (Read 4585 times)

Started by supercain, June 18, 2020, 08:15:51 am
Share this topic:
transparency color showing in game
#1  June 18, 2020, 08:15:51 am
    • Germany
Hi,

I use Fighter factory 3.5.4.2018 to import a sprite like the one right below:

it shows with no background on FF, however in game the background appears no matter what I do.

I first tried by saving the sprite in my image editor program as a png image in full color. However, if I import it like that FF wont let me save it and it automatically fixes the "error" which makes my image look like crap. So this time I save it as a 256 color png in my program and import again on FF. This time no error and the image looks fine. No background whatsoever. However as I test it in game the background does appear! Why is that?

Thank you.
Re: transparency color showing in game
#2  June 18, 2020, 08:58:56 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
You need a palette assigned correctly. That means colour 0 is in the right spot on the palette. Run through a tutorial for importing sprites there are loads.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#3  June 18, 2020, 05:55:44 pm
    • Germany
I have seen many but all of them seem very outdated. There is over 500 palettes to chose from in my sff file but my sprite looks like shit with any of them. By "the right spot" you mean the cell that is on the very right as opposed to left or the CORRECT cell?
Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 07:25:08 pm by supercain
#4  June 19, 2020, 10:58:48 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
I forget how ff handles it. I always use paintshop pro 7 to index my sprites and for that at least the colour in slot 0 is the transparent one for mugens purposes. Same in gimp iirc. Photoshop has it last.

You normally assemble 1 giant picture with all the possible colours on your character and thats what you base your palette on. That palette is then applied to all your sprites before you add them. FF really is character creation. You can manipulate images with it but its best to keep that simple or you can and will run into issues that make life harder.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#5  June 19, 2020, 05:35:56 pm
    • Germany
What program do you use to import sprites into the game other than FF?
#6  June 20, 2020, 02:56:23 pm
  • Your Channel 6 News Anchor is in another Castle!
    • dcat.mugen-infantry.net/
This topic has some tips for adding sprites to .SFF might be outdated though.

Dcat said:
This is pretty simple really if you have irfanview and Fighter Factory.

In short, the method here is to just decrease the colors of the helper sprites in irfanview and manually arrange them using fighter Factory's palette editor.

When sorting the colors from your helper sprite using Fighter Factory's palette editor, you want to pick color indexes that aren't in use by your main character sprites; So if colors 1-16 are the colors for your character, then arrange the new palette for the helper sprites starting from color index 17 onward, leaving spots 1-16 blank. Once you've arranged the new palette for the helper sprites save the old helper sprite .PCX with the new colors. Make sure that you save a new .ACT file with the helper colors added to the main character's palette as well.

Then jump back over to Irfanview, load up your newly arranged helper sprite and export the palette to a .PAL file, you can apply this .PAL file to a sprite sheet that holds all of the helper sprites to have them all share the same newly ordered palette and from there save each new individual .PCX, then add them to the character's .SFF file.

You want to make sure the image has no more than 256 colors in it, and that color 0 is the transparency. If you want to add a new sprite to the existing shared palette of your character you need to make sure that none of the colors in your new .pcx image take up any of the previous color slots reserved for the character's palette index. So if colors 1 - 25 are used by your character already make sure the color slots in the new image you're adding starts from no earlier than slot 26 and above.

You can edit and order color slots in Fighter Factory by going to Advanced Palette editor, loading up your. PCX file and using the Top 2 Green arrow Icons that are located in between the palette banks to move respective colors around.

I order all the colors how I want them using the Move Arrow Icons, remove any redundant instances by changing those un-odered slots to the unused black color, then Re-Save the .PCX file as a new template File, don't worry if the colors in the new . PCX image don't look correct, if you've done things right,the order of the palette should be lined up and that's what's important here.

Next You open up this newly created .PCX template image using Irfanview and Go to > Image > Palette > Edit Palette to preview the images color palette and see if your handiwork has paid off. If everything's to your liking, then click "OK" To dismiss the palette window,  then go to "Image" > Palette > Export Palette - to Save a .PAL File of your newly ordered color palette.

Now whenever you want to apply the characters color palette to a new image you open the . PCX in Irfanview,, go to Images > Palette > Import Palette and Irfanview will apply your template to the sprites. Save the new paletted image as a .PCX file. Now they should be well ordered and ready to add to your finished .SFF File in Fighter Factory.
Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 03:02:55 pm by Dcat