YesNoOk

Overused characters which could use a re-design or should be removed finally. (Read 22800 times)

Started by "Bad News" Hoffmann, August 24, 2011, 04:44:09 pm
Share this topic:
Overused characters which could use a re-design or should be removed finally.
#1  August 24, 2011, 04:44:09 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
Hello,

the discussion about Akuma in the SFxT thread brang me to this topic which i would like to discuss or see our own opinions.

Like the Headline says, which characters are overused in your opinion..or could use a re-design to make them interesting again?

There are characters which have been in 20 games and exsists even since 20 years...lets name Chun Li, Sub Zero or Morrigan as some examples of characters which are just damn alright and fun to use + interesting from their design and background story

Some will disagree with me when it comes to Morrigan though i guess.

But there are also characters which could really use some sort of a redesign ..they became boring and people hope they wont be in new games.

As mentioned the sf x tekken Akuma discussion made me writing this, why?

I saw negative reactions about Akuma being in Marvel Vs Capcom 3, negative reactions about Oni Akuma in SF IV AE, and now negative opinions about the possibility of Akuma being in SFx Tekken

I myself share that opinion... Akuma was once a bad-ass character. Evil, strong, hidden in SSFII Turbo and SFA and even in X-Men COTA  and fun to play when he was new.

Later he got the Cyber Akuma treatment in SF Vs MSHH which was quite fun as well

But than he became a normal character, still with a shin version sometimes...but to me he lost his appeal with the time..he became boring..like John Cena boring.

I myself would love to see him as a bad-ass character again, maybe with new moves and a change in his storyline which repeats itself as often as the story from the Mortal kombat characters Kano and Baraka.. since nearly 20 years those guys are stupid henchmen of the different game bosses..no matter how often they learned that the evil mad guys who want to conquer everything are failing..they always follow them again and again..i would really like a big redesign for both of them or see them finally dying ..or better eaten by something like Mileena since the dying people always get revived somehow in the Mk series.

What are your opinions bout this topic and what are characters you would like to see a change for?

greets, gbk
Re: Overused characters which could use a re-design or should be removed finally.
#2  August 24, 2011, 04:48:50 pm
    • USA
Ryu.
Re: Overused characters which could use a re-design or should be removed finally.
#3  August 24, 2011, 04:52:01 pm
  • Best supporting character in history of anime.
    • USA
    • www.youtube.com/user/aznperson569M
Ken.

uguu
#4  August 24, 2011, 04:52:48 pm
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
Negative reactions to Akuma in the game?  Uuuuh what?  Then why is he one of the most popular characters to use?  And he DID get a redesign as Oni.  People just get mad when popular characters (shotos) get in over obscure jobbers that they only like cause they are unpopular.

Anyway I would have to say I think K's current look has been really stale for a while.  Yeah yeah he got the sunglasses, but I think he needs a new outfit or redesign to keep himself fresh.  Kyo and Iori both got redesigns when their older looks got stale, why shouldn't K'?  It doesn't have to be necessarily big and radical, just something to shake things up a little bit.  For that matter his teammates could use one too. 
#5  August 24, 2011, 05:01:05 pm
  • Best supporting character in history of anime.
    • USA
    • www.youtube.com/user/aznperson569M
Akuma got re-design of sorts in MvC3. The fact that he's extremely different from MvC2 is the reason why people like him; Powerful, but low health (As always). There's a reason why he's pretty high on the tier lists for SFIV and MvC3.

But than he became a normal character, still with a shin version sometimes...but to me he lost his appeal with the time

I guess Seth, Geese, Rugal and other boss characters are boring, too?

On topic, I guess Mitsurugi from Soul Calibur needs a good change in storyline. I hope that's what they are gonna do with him in SC5, since Mitsurugi is just your typical samurai looking for a good fight.

uguu
#6  August 24, 2011, 05:06:59 pm
    • USA
Indeed, MVC3 Akuma is radically different to almost being a totally new character.
#7  August 24, 2011, 05:11:19 pm
  • Maker of obscurity.
    • http://tetsuwanatom.b1.jcink.com/
I don't quite hate Akuma, if he is or not in SFvsT, then it don't matter.
He changed a lot, just look back at his SSF2 X and compare with his latest artwork. Although he is still a shotoclone...
Anyway, I don't give a damn about Evil Ryu, he is too boring... Pretty much a shotocle of a shotoclone. A old character acting almost like a most recent one don't appeal to me.
-Toshio Tenma
#8  August 24, 2011, 05:12:05 pm
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
I have none for fighting games

bah
"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."

"Okay, okay. So you put a Nazi on the Moon. Fuck you, Moon."
#9  August 24, 2011, 05:20:15 pm
    • USA
Evil Ryu is just useless.  There is literally no reason to use him above normal Ryu unless you love that axe kick THAT much.  Normal Ryu has better health, better stun, better combos, better ultras, all around better.  Evil Ryu is too big of a gamble with too little a payoff.  He's a novelty at best. 
#10  August 24, 2011, 05:58:37 pm
  • DCB | Vato
    • Bolivia
    • www.justnopoint.com/dshiznetz
What the fuck are you talking about.

E.ryu has better combos, he's safer to play with, does a hell of more damage then normal ryu. He's a gamble to play with only because of his low stamina

They basically have the same ultras.
Re: Overused characters which could use a re-design or should be removed finally
#11  August 24, 2011, 06:02:20 pm
  • Fuck You.
also im pretty sure toshio was talkin about pre ssfiv eryu who was just suntanned ryu with a teleport and sgs

ssfiv ryu is the most unique and different ryu to date
i cant count the reasons i should stay

one by one they all just fade away...

http://nero-blanco.deviantart.com/
#12  August 24, 2011, 06:07:57 pm
    • USA
What the fuck are you talking about.

E.ryu has better combos, he's safer to play with, does a hell of more damage then normal ryu. He's a gamble to play with only because of his low stamina

They basically have the same ultras.

Evil Ryu's combos may do more damage, but Ryu's are ultimately better cause they aren't fucking one frame links and are actually practical.  Ryu has better FADC combos as well.  It's almost universally agreed that Evil Ryu is the worst shoto in the game.

Think of it like this.  Why would you bother gambling for a few extra options when you can play it safe with normal Ryu and have less chance of getting murdered?
#13  August 24, 2011, 06:12:37 pm
  • DCB | Vato
    • Bolivia
    • www.justnopoint.com/dshiznetz
Better fadc combos? Compare a evil ryu combo video to a normal ryu combo video then come back.   

Think of it like this, why would you play with a character that is very limited when you could just go with one that's better but takes more effort to play with.
Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 06:18:55 pm by Luis Alejandro
#14  August 24, 2011, 06:23:08 pm
    • USA
That would be a valid question IF there was enough difference between the two for it to warrant the choice.  If you compared, say, Ryu to Akuma.  Akuma is MUCH harder to use but is ultimately capable of more.  What Evil Ryu is capable of is only slightly more than normal Ryu, so it strikes me as a foolish gamble.
#15  August 24, 2011, 06:25:55 pm
  • Maker of obscurity.
    • http://tetsuwanatom.b1.jcink.com/
I just believe that Evil Ryu should be not created at all, he is pretty much a Akuma wannabe with that idea of killing worthy foes. And Ryu is a pretty old shoto character to have a wannabe mode.
-Toshio Tenma
#16  August 24, 2011, 06:50:04 pm
    • USA
Evil Ryu debuted in SFA2, so Evil Ryu himself is pretty old.

I just think that as long as he's gonna be useless Evil Ryu is a waste of time.  Here's a couple of things I'd suggest.

-Make Axe Kick an overhead on the normal version as well, make the EX version have guard break or invul or something
-Give him some of Ryu/Akuma's links from SF3:TS, I mean he has the c.MK from that game so why not
-Make some of his moves safer to enhance his rushdown
-Give him Akuma's medium Shoryuken
-Allow the full animation off a FADC->Messatsu Gou Shoryu
-MAYBE a slight health buff, nothing the average player would notice

Who knows what 2012 update for AE will bring for him?
#17  August 24, 2011, 06:50:14 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
So do you believe Evil Ryu is over-used and shouldnt return in future Street Fighter / Cross over games?

Another character who should retire in my opinion is dan...he was funny for a good time, but capcom could replace him with a new joke character

#18  August 24, 2011, 06:51:28 pm
    • USA
I think the problem with Dan is just that the joke has gotten a bit stale.  I think he needs to be refreshed.  SNK has so much more material for Capcom to make fun of with him.
#19  August 24, 2011, 06:55:20 pm
dan became irrelevant when snk died and should be retired completely or replaced with a mortal kombat parody
#20  August 24, 2011, 06:56:56 pm
    • USA
Either that or a parody of hi def anime fighters like Guilty Gear/Blazblue/Arcana Heart/Ougon/Aquapazza/whatever else.