YesNoOk

Mortal Kombat X / XL (Read 1168990 times)

Started by "Bad News" Hoffmann, June 01, 2014, 08:19:49 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Mortal Kombat X (Last update on 02.26.15)
#2601  September 06, 2015, 01:06:17 am
And lol at thinking he has no chance of making it. A claim like that is really underestimating Warner Bros, in fact I'm expecting him to be announced.
spawn isn't gonna show up in MKX. why the hell would WB ignore all the IPs they have the rights for and go buy the video game rights to character they don't own, thats like expecting capcom to include flameless iori in SFV.
also courtesy of the king of edginess kanodoom, here's this tweet:
https://twitter.com/noobde/status/601207295641591809
basically saying he won't ever show up.
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#2602  September 06, 2015, 04:07:32 am
Explain how a Japanese company with less popularity put the very same character in SoulCalibur 2 then.

SNT

#2603  September 06, 2015, 04:14:04 am
  • Super Old Bitter Dude
    • Australia
The GameCube had Link, the PS2 had Heihachi, and adding Master Chief to the Xbox version would've been bullshit.

Oh, and Namco were trying to get numbers up on this turkey.
#2604  September 06, 2015, 04:35:41 am
Just to clarify, I'm not arguing if he'll be revealed (even though I think it'll happen). I'm just questioning the logic behind believing that he has no shot of appearing.

Also taking a Boon tweet at face value, yeah.
Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 04:53:57 am by Niitris
#2605  September 06, 2015, 01:13:50 pm
Explain how a Japanese company with less popularity put the very same character in SoulCalibur 2 then.
as SNT said because Namco already had the video game rights to him from that game, they didn't go out of their way to buy his rights.
Also taking a Boon tweet at face value, yeah.
i guess we should unfollow him then because we can't take anything he says seriously right? i guess all the Wikipedia articles about MK that referenced his tweets should be counted as unreliable too, right?

#2606  September 06, 2015, 01:53:09 pm
  • Moving your life with greener pastures.
    • daedalus96@gmail.com
i guess we should unfollow him then because we can't take anything he says seriously right? i guess all the Wikipedia articles about MK that referenced his tweets should be counted as unreliable too, right?

I agree with that. Hell, i don't trust anything seriously that Boon says until i see it at the end when i wait out. Only some popular YT-ers like Max or even Dynasty would know about it, but then again, that's just me. However, at that time, won't believe anything as i have said above, so long as it's... surprising one. XP
#2607  September 06, 2015, 04:55:14 pm
as SNT said because Namco already had the video game rights to him from that game, they didn't go out of their way to buy his rights.

How did Namco get the licence to Spawn in the first place? It didn't just 'happen' because Namco already had them. Surely they had to go out of their way to do something right?

You're reasoning behind it all is "rights are so hard to acquire for third party characters, they can just use their own" when evidence supports it's not as difficult as you're making it seem. All it takes are two interested parties ard negotiation.  It's not this hoop of flames you're making it sound like. Nor I wouldn't consider adding one third party character "ignoring the existence of all your IPs" either.

Also not a good comparison, the SNK IP is basically worthless at this point. Spawn is one of the most recognizable comic book characters not affiliated from Marvel nor DC. If Spawn was as valuable as Iori Yagami then this wouldn't be a discussion. Difference.

You don't have to believe he's going to be in the game, that's fine. But it's not because adding guest characters are this painfully bloody process that isn't worth the trouble.
Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 04:59:04 pm by Niitris
#2608  September 06, 2015, 05:14:32 pm
How did Namco get the licence to Spawn in the first place? It didn't just 'happen' because Namco already had them. Surely they had to go out of their way to do something right?
do i have to spell this out? they got the rights to him because they wanted to make him his own game "Spawn: Armageddon". they DID NOT buy his rights just to put him in a fighting game.
#2609  September 06, 2015, 05:39:23 pm
That doesn't nullify the point. Namco had to contact the party that owns Spawn and buy his rights. The two agreed to terms and a collaboration occurs. Not of the sexy clashing of IPs kind but it still involved communication between two groups of property holders. Communication that would've broken down if it was as difficult as you're claimed it to be.

If a Spawn/Warner Bros crossover doesn't happen it'd more likely due to a lack of mutual interest than "we couldn't come to an agreement because the legal contracts and royalties were too troublesome."
#2610  September 06, 2015, 06:31:52 pm
That doesn't nullify the point. Namco had to contact the party that owns Spawn and buy his rights. The two agreed to terms and a collaboration occurs. Not of the sexy clashing of IPs kind but it still involved communication between two groups of property holders. Communication that would've broken down if it was as difficult as you're claimed it to be.
no it wouldn't. there's a major difference between licensing spawn to make a game solely for him, and licensing him just to put him as a guest character in a fighting game. as there wouldn't be so much confusion about royalties. it would be a something like a 50/50 deal, you provide the lore and characters and we develop a game of out of them.
If a Spawn/Warner Bros crossover doesn't happen it'd more likely due to a lack of mutual interest than "we couldn't come to an agreement because the legal contracts and royalties were too troublesome."
doesn't a lack of mutual interest happen because one of parties didn't agree on the royalties or the licensing terms?

and really when you look at the guest characters in MKX and compare them to spawn, you'll find that they're timeless movie characters who are just leagues more famous than an edgy op 90's comic book hero who lost all relevance nowadays.

#2611  September 06, 2015, 07:17:35 pm
Do you have proof that what you're saying is easier and that royalties are less confusing? Because I would think that permission to use a 3rd party character for a cameo appearance is easier to handle than dedicating an entire game (as well as managing the resources required to make it, cut of sales, budgeting, the creative freedoms that are allowed, etc) to a foreign IP.

And mutual interest is how much the publishers support the idea. McFarlane can be as persistent about it as he wants. It won't happen if Warner Bros aren't interested. That has nothing to do with contract negotiations.

If you want to use his relevance as an argument, that's a bit more plausible. I don't think anyone sound will argue that Spawn is more meaningful or valuable than Jason or Predator.
#2612  September 06, 2015, 11:02:25 pm
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
can anyone add imgur websites for the mkx comics on the first post because i just got done reading the first issue and it looks great so far

Search on Google for Mortal Kombat X Son of Ultron.
#2613  September 06, 2015, 11:18:41 pm
  • Are you ready?
    • USA
#2614  September 07, 2015, 12:15:56 pm
    • daedalus96@gmail.com
Replacing -Red- to post the comics in here.

Chapter 36: Fight To The Finish:
http://imgur.com/a/EvFSD

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 02:49:43 pm by Just No Point

lui

#2615  September 07, 2015, 12:30:50 pm
    • USA
can you atleast put a damn SPOILER about the comics for people who haven't caught up yet? c'mon now, i was planning on catching up soon to see what happens to him, thanks alot, ugh.
#2616  September 07, 2015, 12:33:04 pm
  • The Mad Editor
    • Philippines
Ah, so
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#2617  September 07, 2015, 01:11:21 pm
    • daedalus96@gmail.com
can you atleast put a damn SPOILER about the comics for people who haven't caught up yet? c'mon now, i was planning on catching up soon to see what happens to him, thanks alot, ugh.

Sorry ma boi, but that's just me.
#2618  September 07, 2015, 01:25:19 pm
    • Indonesia
    • larsmasters.deviantart.com
I guess Sheeva is the only one left. RIP -_- Cyrax
#2619  September 07, 2015, 02:00:12 pm
  • Back to the Beginnings
    • https://discord.gg/hnyK7JZ
===My discord servers===
Unlimited Force HQ: https://discord.gg/hnyK7JZ
Mega Man Megamix Engine Help Server: https://discord.gg/Wjm9GYU

Touhou database (by Ryouchi):
http://mugenfreeforall.com/index.php?/topic/8257-touhou-project/
you are all small and can't grow manly sideburns

lui

#2620  September 07, 2015, 02:02:01 pm
    • USA
don't provoke like that, even if you aren't being serious.