YesNoOk

Re: MOVED: Funny Deadpool Pictures (Read 24942 times)

Started by Shamrock, September 25, 2009, 01:05:42 am
Re: MOVED: Funny Deadpool Pictures
#21  September 25, 2009, 09:42:30 pm
  • I got a PM.
Did you read his custom message and his post? Silly Noob, YOU POSTED IN THE WRONG FUCKING PLACE AND YOU DIDN"T LOOK FOR THE SAME QUESTION.

BURN HIM!
BURN HIM!

Not that we all haven't forgot the noob brain every once in awhile and accidentally been a dick to one of them.

The problem I see is a lack of listening and understanding.
Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 09:49:38 pm by Shamrock, the Hard Mod
#22  September 25, 2009, 09:56:39 pm
  • I got a PM.
Matthew Woodring Stover said:
There are no rules. But there are rules of thumb...

• Talk with and to users. Not about them, and not down to them.
  • A thread with controversial content is not to be forbidden because it contains controversial content and the potential for conflict. We had working threads on religion, politics, sexuality . . . It's not about topics---
  • It's about the users. They write the posts. If they post in an undesirable way in a certain topic, do not lock the topic to make it stop but talk to the users instead.
  • Do not delete posts. Unless a post is truly garbage, adds nothing worthwhile at all and has not already been included or replied to in the following posts... if it has already been replied to, it stays. Unless the replies are of the same quality and also add nothing themselves either. But usually they do. In those cases, do not clean and thereby break topics by dumping multiple posts.
  • Do not edit posts in order to say something. It's rude and might not even be noticed by the original poster.
  • The standard approach to any situation: post in places where trouble occurs to show everybpdy what kind of behavior is unwanted. If you can guess that the offending user will read your public post you might not have to do anything else. Otherwise, you can either wait and later write him a private message, or include a private message from the beginning. It doesn't even need to say anything witty, could be a link to your public post or a quote of it.
  • Step back. Slow down, and know when to stop. Trick 17: log out (I do that all the time).

So you're basically saying that we should try not to use any of our moderation powers, not to delete, edit and lock things?? Yeah that's exactly it. They're only secondary options, fallbacks.

You don't need any special board permissions a normal user doesn't have for the most important moderation work. That also means you don't even need to be Moderator in order to moderate. :o

[i]Pirates of the Carribean[/i] said:
Hang the code, and hang the rules.

They're more like guidelines anyway.
#23  September 25, 2009, 10:08:47 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Yeah, Loona's statement in the post was a bit "to the point". I thought the issue was that he moved the thread though. His post wasn't harsh. But, depending on the mentality of the new person, it could look that way.

Especially since by default most people on the net seem to think everyone is out to get them XD
#24  September 25, 2009, 10:16:33 pm
  • I got a PM.
On that note, I don't see a problem with leaving it in the Tutorial section. Now there is a make shift shit tutorial in that thread. Could be useful for someone else. Not that I care if it is in tutorial or just plain dev help. As long as it is in a dev help section of some kind.

So far though, that was the best move he has made and he has made at least a dozen in a couple of days. That is what Iced was talking about.

I mean Loona was going to start moving Sprite ripping tutorials and questions over to graphics. That kind of thing.

Which isn't a problem, but it is when no one else knows that you are doing it or agrees that you should be doing it.

I could wake up tomorrow and find the "Warnings, bannings, decisions" separated into three different threads. One for Warnings, one for bannings, and one for decisions.

No one would understand a fucking thing in any of those threads, if this was done. That is the other thing Iced is talking about.
#25  September 26, 2009, 01:02:54 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
Leave my section alone huh? I keep an eye on it, if there's anything there that's not related to creating content for mugen (generally sprite help please make this look better) it goes to graphic arts.

If theres requests they go there. If it's obviously a setup issue (and believe me most people get this RIGHT) that's where it winds up.

Things don't have to be shifted the instant they're in the wrong place if they're not in a major forum. You don't need to focus on minutae, just the big issues. BAU stuff can be moved at any time, it's not like some of these threads do any actual harm if they're in the wrong place for a couple days.

Pick a forum and mod that, don't do everywhere and step on other peoples toes.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#26  September 26, 2009, 02:53:25 am
  • Nothing ever ends
    • Portugal
    • www.justnopoint.com/loona
Heh, if an adjustment I make to the message left behind when a thread is moved seems to harsh, perhaps a tweak to the default should be considered...

I mean Loona was going to start moving Sprite ripping tutorials and questions over to graphics. That kind of thing.

Extrapolating much?... That section was always about showing your work, i rarely if ever saw topics about getting started with editing/spriting there and wouldn't break an old and clear tendency. Several sections aren't all that clear though.

As for the "picking a forum and modding that"- noone seemed to notice of mind anything I did in Feedback -I personally prefer the focus on a single section (and find it more efficient to have local mods for everything as opposed to lots of GMods), but the GMod thing was dropped on me so I act on it as seems fit.
#27  September 26, 2009, 02:56:24 am
  • I got a PM.
I see. So did that translate into, I don't give a fuck what you or Cy or anyone else said?
#28  September 26, 2009, 03:02:48 am
  • Nothing ever ends
    • Portugal
I see. So did that translate into, I don't give a fuck what you or Cy or anyone else said?

Any more recent reason to complain? I've been explaining my reasoning for past actions, make of the actions (or lack thereof) since then what you will.
#29  September 26, 2009, 03:06:22 am
  • Legendary XIII
    • New Zealand
G.mod = emergency. It means if there's shit happening in another forum (and that's a PROPER mess like spam or huge flame) you can deal with it. Otherwise act as if you're a mod of one section.

G.mod allows for overlap, it doesn't change where you're supposed to act.

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#30  September 26, 2009, 03:24:33 am
  • Nothing ever ends
    • Portugal
My unsderstanding of it:

- mod: keep and eye on everything in your section and act on it as needed/reasonable/helpful

- gmod: as it's impossible to keep track of everything in the whole forum, handle stuff as you find it and as it gets reported or seems needed/useful. Some quality is lost with the lack of narrower focus.

#31  September 26, 2009, 03:31:50 am
  • Legendary XIII
    • New Zealand
In this forum gmod = what i've just defined. We'd have far too many of them if they all did their job everywhere.

It's for timezone overlap, not to increase your workload. Stick to your section, encroach on others only when required.

#32  September 26, 2009, 04:04:16 am
  • I got a PM.
Oh and just to be a dick

Extrapolating, was not the word you were looking for. If it was, then yes, I do it much. 
#33  September 26, 2009, 04:33:42 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
I like the idea of getting info to users easier. Like updating stickies and whatnot. But other than that we pretty much stick to "sefl moderation" from the users which has been working pretty well IMO the last few years.

Though it's not exactly your fault since you haven't been around as much to get the feel and wasn't a part of the original movement. Now you can go crazy solving reports almost however you like as long as you mention how you solved it.
#34  September 26, 2009, 11:56:51 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
From your posts I thought you were interested on being a gmod, and you had been suggested as a possible one, but I didnt pick gmods thinking that they would be shifting and changing stuff that much, I picked more of them, so we can have a lot of people with different timezones that can react in emergencies and specially train new persons( most of the stuff i did as gmod was effectively pming people and explaining to them stuff) , I thought that as an ex admin you knew the ropes better and would have an easier job, if you prefer I can give you back feedback as just a mod.

Also, this goes to everyone that is a gmod, if you dont feel sure you know what you are seeing you dont need to act on it, theres always other mods you can consult.
#35  September 26, 2009, 03:18:47 pm
  • Nothing ever ends
    • Portugal
From your posts I thought you were interested on being a gmod,

"Assuming makes an ass of you and me"

I care about this place, I want being to be able do enjoy it and find the info they need, and the less assholes they have to deal with along the way the better.

And in the past i've been invited to help with the place, and took on the task.

As I've told you in past occasions, I figured I've done my time and I've been glad any further trouble since then is not my problem any more.

Occasionally I've made the odd report or comment in Feedback about something I figured needed to be addressed - some things I figured most wouldn't really want to bother with (like digging through the Valodim's Thread to make something like this: http://mugenguild.com/forumx/index.php?topic=103349.0 more visible) I barely commented on insisted on.

So of course, if there's more I can do about something, I'm really more likely to do it - still, it's odd how people have been reacting to some topic tweaking and moving as if I'd been banning them, their friends and family...

If you'd sent some PM before dropping the job on me, we could have talked this over in advance about expectations and whatnot.

if you prefer I can give you back feedback as just a mod.

Do as you see fit.
Re: Loona
#36  September 26, 2009, 03:21:29 pm
  • can see your halo
    • Germany
    • Skype - panchasell
    • www.mugenguild.com/
Personally, from the past few days! I think Loona is obsessive compulsive with the organization of things!  :ninja:

Sometimes I quote too much.

I think that kind of structured / organization / categorization work are sort of your quotes, Loona.

I'm good with quotes but sometimes I also go overboard with them and it gets too outlandish for most others.

When did Byakko become a mod?

You missed some fun discussions. In the era of the Black Jester it was kind of common courtesy to address every point in a post you were replying to. ;)

From your posts I thought you were interested on being a gmod, and you had been suggested as a possible one, [...] I thought that as an ex admin you knew the ropes better and would have an easier job, if you prefer I can give you back feedback as just a mod.

Loona was Administrator c. five years ago, but more and longer than that he was one of the quintessential Special Members when Guild still had that member group.

Being Special Member went without actual responsibilities or a staff position. You could see all sections and partake in staff discussion if you wanted; e.g. Winane, Loona, walt, Titiln, ... a lot over the years.

Some were given it sort of as a Title in exchange for services rendered, or because their advice was valued or because it looked good on them (or good for Guild) or because they weren't meant for Official Positions (at all, or yet) or... well most of the time it was a combination of several factors.

Apart from that, some of them also had additional moderator powers like editing, moving, merging, splitting or deleting things. I forget whether all Special Members had those at some point, but anyway---

---Loona always had 'em, to use in secret-moderator fashion as he saw fit, hidden from plain sight unless you paid close attention. That was one of his main functions.

Global Moderator, if you will, changes that from optional to a mission, makes him an official contact person, responsible for watching over the entire forum and accountable for oversights.

(In 2005, I ended my first reign as Guild Admin with a post that said I had too many crazy ideas, that I would practically have to change the entire forum in order to be Admin and identify myself with that position, feel good about it.

It's possible that Loona feels similar. If I gotta be GMod and represent something, I gotta do what needs doing...)
"Several times now, Achamian thought he had glimpsed golden haloes about Kellhus's hands. He found himself envying those, such as Proyas, who claimed to see them all the time."
--R. Scott Bakker
The Thousandfold Thought (2006)
Re: Global Moderators
#37  September 26, 2009, 03:24:17 pm
  • can see your halo
    • Germany
    • Skype - panchasell
    • www.mugenguild.com/
Pick a forum and mod that, don't do everywhere and step on other peoples toes.

G.mod = emergency. It means if there's shit happening in another forum (and that's a PROPER mess like spam or huge flame) you can deal with it. Otherwise act as if you're a mod of one section.

G.mod allows for overlap, it doesn't change where you're supposed to act.

I agree with Loona's post:

My unsderstanding of it:

- mod: keep and eye on everything in your section and act on it as needed/reasonable/helpful

- gmod: as it's impossible to keep track of everything in the whole forum, handle stuff as you find it and as it gets reported or seems needed/useful.

"Several times now, Achamian thought he had glimpsed golden haloes about Kellhus's hands. He found himself envying those, such as Proyas, who claimed to see them all the time."
--R. Scott Bakker
The Thousandfold Thought (2006)
#38  September 26, 2009, 03:30:26 pm
    • Portugal
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/
Aren't these, like, four threads all about the same thing?
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
My Mugen and Ikemen content can also be found here.
#39  September 26, 2009, 03:31:14 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
For now, going back to normal then, I wasnt aware you would see it as a mission of sorts, and I rather value you as a part of the staff and valuable feedback other than putting you up with powers you werent interested with in the first place.
Sorry about that, I really thought your post meant that you were aware and interested on it, no hard feelings I hope.
( special member sounds like an interesting idea... maybe E and a few others could partake in staff discussion that way.. )
#40  September 26, 2009, 05:03:51 pm
    • Germany
Can we keep the deja vus down to one per thread, please? :blank::goi: