YesNoOk

Street fighter before ono (Read 5549 times)

Started by Bastard Mami, April 20, 2012, 12:58:14 am
Share this topic:
Street fighter before ono
#1  April 20, 2012, 12:58:14 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Re: Street fighter before ono
#2  April 20, 2012, 01:01:52 am
  • SNK is life
ITT We rediscover Ryu Final through the eyes of nostalgia.
#3  April 20, 2012, 01:22:14 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares

Reminds me that I never actually found a bookstore where they sold the other Street Fighter Alpha manga parts.
#4  April 20, 2012, 01:23:27 pm
  • Nothing ever ends
    • Portugal
    • www.justnopoint.com/loona
when the characters were supossed to be cool, not silly parodies of their former selves

This article is about manga where Elena talks to trees and the author's Mary Sue Karin stands on top of a pyramid of jocks just to look defiantly at Sakura.

The guy may do decent action scenes and be daring enough to have Ryu doing plausible criminal work and dan fighting competently, but there's plenty of silliness there Capcom didn't shy away from embracing.
#5  April 20, 2012, 01:40:15 pm
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/saikoros-high-resolution-mugen-portraits-fatal-fury-full-set-145724.0.html
I gotta sit and read that article when I can devote a solid 30 minutes of my full attention to it. Amazing find!!

Quality wise, for completely original stuff, is hard to do these days. Remember that Street Fighter 2 had some of the most stereotypical character creations ever. Guile was based off of the common American action hero, like Stallone and Schwarzenegger. Fast forward to today, and our stereotypes for the American include Rufus and Bob. You went from a strong stereotype to a fat and lazy stereotype. They got that part right.

On the other hand, yeah, stop fucking with consistency Capcom. Killing off a main character adds shock value for sure, but the aftermath from fans isn't pretty. I remember when Boon and Tobias decided to remove Scorpion from MK3's initial release. The game was great (IMO) without him, but would you know it, he was brought back in the Ultimate update.
All of your Mugen Portrait needs may be found HERE.

I'd like to report two robots on the MFG forums: One is EXShadow. The other is Saikoro.
There should be a Saikoro plugin for Photoshop.
#6  April 20, 2012, 02:05:41 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Its not as if capcom was adapting what ryu final did. You never saw ryu used as a final boss or anything like that if anything they adapted a few ideas and hints here and there, but ono has kept doing that, the evil ryu from sf4 having the hole in his chest from final manga , the wind fist being the same used in final manga, etc.

>when the characters were supossed to be cool,
I dont see how that changed from alpha to 4, maybe you are just jaded?

>not silly parodies of their former selves,
I dont see this at all?

> when a dead character stayed dead
What "dead" character? Charlie being killed dozens of times? Bison being killed and "rebuilt" ?
Dan dying in the end of alpha 3? There was never any "dead" characters in street fighter, they just phased them out and tried new ones.
Maybe Gouken? But even then he was never shown to be dead, just said to be by narration.
This complaint is extra weird considering we are talking about the manga where
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
>and character would feel remorse for killing;
Who? Where?

I loved those books, got them right here in a shelf, but arent you rose tinting this too much? Sure, it would have been fun if they had forwarded the story like the manga intended, making Ryu a new hidden boss character and all, but capcom never once showed any intention of doing any of this, decades before ono name even popped around the sf games.
#7  April 20, 2012, 02:19:12 pm
  • Most Dangerous Mugen
    • USA
    • caddie.smeenet.org
> when a dead character stayed dead
What "dead" character? Charlie being killed dozens of times? Bison being killed and "rebuilt" ?
Dan dying in the end of alpha 3? There was never any "dead" characters in street fighter, they just phased them out and tried new ones.
Maybe Gouken? But even then he was never shown to be dead, just said to be by narration.

Nearly everyone that Akuma supposedly killed permanently by the time SF3's story came back.

Gouken
Gen(kinda died on his own though)
Adon(supposedly, don't really know where that came from though)
M.Bison(understandably why he came back, but he was supposed to be dead for good after SF2)

To be fair Charlie hasn't come back...yet. He actually died in SFA3 and has stayed dead so far. Also Goutetsu is still dead. SSF4 just made Akuma seem really weak and inefficient compared to what he was in SF3.
#8  April 20, 2012, 02:22:10 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Goutetsu is still dead, and the only person that Gouki had killed other than him was Gouken.

Gen had the whole "sick and dying " storyline but he didnt die "on screen" so its relatively up for grabs.
Charlie died in sfa1, sfa2, sfa3 ( and xmen vs streetfighter )
#9  April 20, 2012, 02:23:39 pm
  • Most Dangerous Mugen
    • USA
    • caddie.smeenet.org
Yeah but he OFFICIALLY died in  SFA3. :P Also, Adon being killed by Akuma is from somewhere but I dunno. Maybe from Udon? Making it not official. But whatever.

And Bison being permanently killed by Akuma at the end of SF2 was supposed to be a permanent thing and kind of a big deal. Shun Goku Satsu killing his soul or something like that. But nope!
#10  April 20, 2012, 02:27:45 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Adon ending had him going after Akuma, never was it said he was dead.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEcaRtR_Eo4

Gen ending had him face bison and complain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gTkG8BjyZk
Not die.

Akuma and Gen face in shin akuma ending
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ji1kBLLC5u4#t=490s
but it fades off with them dashing at each other.

Sf2 had akuma jump in and kill bison, but bison was killed a heck of a lot of times in that alpha 3 endings.

There are endings with sodom blowing himself up even. but adon and gen dying didnt happen anywhere.
#11  April 20, 2012, 02:30:45 pm
  • all is love in fair and war
bison move from one body to the other, he never really dies.
but it is about time capcom design new costume for these chars.
#12  April 20, 2012, 02:35:06 pm
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ

To be fair Charlie hasn't come back...yet.
Didn't he supposedly save Abel?
Then again, we don't know when that took place.

Adon being killed by Akuma? That's new to me.
As Iced said, for some reason Akuma appears in some of Adon's endings
http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/snes/d/sfa2ado.htm
http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/psx/b/sfa3ado.htm
But that's it.

Edit:
Also, I'd never take these awful articles seriously. Most of ANN's staff are just plain terrible when it comes to this, more so when they're analyzing a medium that is out of their field (video games)
#13  April 20, 2012, 02:41:50 pm
  • Most Dangerous Mugen
    • USA
    • caddie.smeenet.org
I don't remember where the Adon death was from. I believe it could have been in the Street Fighter Plot Guide. There's a couple of results on google saying that I didn't completely make that up but nothing official.
#14  April 20, 2012, 03:13:17 pm
  • Nothing ever ends
    • Portugal
Charlie died in sfa1, sfa2, sfa3 ( and xmen vs streetfighter )

In XvSF he's just experimented on to become Shadow in MvSF (the shadow character mini-subplot could have gone in interesting directions, too bad they stopped using it after MvC, since by then there were already 3 Capcom characters with such versions, so it's something they could have continued in their own games independently of Marvel) - XvSF already had hints for its sequel, such as Sakura and Dan being in one of the endings at least, and would later appear in MSHvSF as well.

As for evil Ryu becoming a final boss, isn't that essentially his role in the Asura's Wrath DLC, off-canon as that might be? (also the NGPC SvC, now that I think about it)
#15  April 20, 2012, 03:31:17 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
On ryu

Charlie death in xvs sf was just sort of hinted, like most of the other times he died.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD6AzG_-Ric
Guile finds his dogtags and comments on getting revenge, etc , nothing prevents charlie from being alive and Abel story seems to hint at him being saved by him.

Shit for all its worth Goutetsu could come back, even if he is the only person that Akuma has killed (related to others and not just random challengers)  so far.
#16  April 20, 2012, 03:58:00 pm
  • Nothing ever ends
    • Portugal
Charlie death in xvs sf was just sort of hinted, like most of the other times he died.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD6AzG_-Ric
Guile finds his dogtags and comments on getting revenge, etc , nothing prevents charlie from being alive and Abel story seems to hint at him being saved by him.

That's the interesting thing, they played with the expectation, but all we see is an operating table, mentions of excruciating pain and lost dogtags - but ni the following game, there he is, and in Shadow Lady's ending in MvC we see something of the sort happening to Jin in different circumstances: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7jKWSSAkqY (could only find it in spanish on a short notice)

Shit for all its worth Goutetsu could come back, even if he is the only person that Akuma has killed (related to others and not just random challengers)  so far.

I'd like to see his gameplay (especially considering how different Gouken, Gouki and Oni play and him being their teacher), but I don't see Capcom bothering, he's not famous enough and most of the characters that are are much further ahead in the SF timeline. At most, maybe some unlikely crossover where oddball characters are welcome and timelines are even less of a concern than they were in SF4.
#17  April 20, 2012, 04:00:35 pm
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Karin stands on top of a pyramid of jocks just to look defiantly at Sakura.
This sounds like the greatest thing ever.

Also, I'd never take these awful articles seriously. Most of ANN's staff are just plain terrible when it comes to this, more so when they're analyzing a medium that is out of their field (video games)
It felt like half the article was just the author talking about how the US cartoon could NEVER do anything as cool as these mangas. It really got on my nerves.

I also was rolling my eyes when he complained about how Guile was made into the main character in the movie; up to that point Ryu had absolutely zero connections with Bison so focusing the movie on Guile (and Chun-Li to a lesser extent), whose entire storyline was about getting revenge on Bison was just common sense.
#18  April 20, 2012, 04:11:32 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
canon wise sfz1 and 2 are the same game storyline wise. so dictator thinks he kills charlie in sfz12 then he kills him for good in sfz3. Everything else has already been adressed by caddie.
#19  April 20, 2012, 08:34:15 pm
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
Akuma never killed Gen either btw, Akuma refused to fight him after finding out he was ill. 
#20  April 20, 2012, 10:32:28 pm
  • SNK is life
GOUKEN - Just my 2 cents because I found this piece of artwork

Even if that got changed into something less damaged, the reason for the "hanging on one side" Gi was because it was torn, as well as his head scar. Gouken's concept is that he survived whern Akuma left him for dead, which could be very plausible.