YesNoOk

Alex Kidd (Updated!) (Read 12885 times)

Started by OrochiWeapon2000, September 21, 2023, 05:13:41 am
Share this topic:
Alex Kidd (Updated!)
#1  September 21, 2023, 05:13:41 am
  • Small characters can kick big ass.
    • USA
Hi everyone! It's been too long since I've been able to dabble in anything M.U.G.E.N. related. But now that I've got some time to do so, I've gone back to update some of my old works.

First up is Alex Kidd!  ;D

Feel free to inform me of any bugs, questions, comments, etc. Currently, he's lacking at least one "Jan Ken Pon: Finisher" (Paper), and that should be coming pretty soon. From there, I'll be adding some additional intros/outros, along with any necessary balancing that needs to be done. He *should* work just fine on Mugen 1.0/1.1, as that's what I've been using to test the character, but I admit, I may be a bit rusty.  :P

Download him here! - https://www.mediafire.com/file/975l1kifhl79iuz/AlexKidd.rar/file

Mini Rockman is next!  :)
Last Edit: October 08, 2023, 12:44:22 pm by OrochiWeapon2000
Re: Alex Kidd (Updated!)
#2  September 21, 2023, 05:51:53 am
  • Did I hear something about a scooby snack?
    • USA
    • squidlypoli1.neocities.org

This was a surprising release, I've been pretty hyperfixated on the Master System as of late and I think it's pretty nice to see more characters coming out (or in this case being renewed) that commonly get associated with the console. He seems pretty good just testing him from the command line but there are some things that do irk me like how his normals have very little pushback and unsafe frame advantage (the Prinny training char I use with JUS chars says both his standing LP and LK are -5 on hit) and how he can crouch while running, though that may not be as big of a deal since not a lot of people pick up on it. Making him a rekka-focused fighter because of the common RPS theme of the games is an interesting choice (I do have a bit of a problem pulling off the HCB paper route ender), as is focusing on some of the stuff from Shinobi World like the fireball ability from when you vault off a pole, though there are some areas that could've been better like the Peticopter's physics. The spritework is top notch, hope the NGPC Rockman update goes well too.
#3  September 21, 2023, 06:24:00 am
    • USA
He seems pretty good just testing him from the command line but there are some things that do irk me like how his normals have very little pushback and unsafe frame advantage (the Prinny training char I use with JUS chars says both his standing LP and LK are -5 on hit) and how he can crouch while running, though that may not be as big of a deal since not a lot of people pick up on it. Making him a rekka-focused fighter because of the common RPS theme of the games is an interesting choice (I do have a bit of a problem pulling off the HCB paper route ender), as is focusing on some of the stuff from Shinobi World like the fireball ability from when you vault off a pole, though there are some areas that could've been better like the Peticopter's physics. The spritework is top notch, hope the NGPC Rockman update goes well too.

Thanks for the feedback! I do intend to make adjustments to his all his attacks along the way. The running crouch definitely got by me, but I'll take care of that ASAP. Also, his Paper Finisher hasn't been implemented yet, but that's also being worked on in the very near future. As for the Peticopter's physics, I originally gave it more freedom of movement, and made it so that when you release a direction, he just stays in place. But I figured I'd make that at least a bit closer to the source game. Admittedly it's not as perfect as I'd like, but I'll keep messing with it until I get it at least a little better.

Baby steps, right?  :kugoi:
#4  September 21, 2023, 06:32:30 am
  • Super Mario Fighters 3 resurrected.
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com

It is amazing to see you returned. Welcome back to the stage of history, your Alex Kidd has been a favorite of mine for years. Thank you so much for this update, can't wait to see what you have planned now that Mugen 1.1 and IKEMEN exist now.
#5  September 22, 2023, 08:25:12 am
    • USA
Alex Kidd has just been updated! Here's what's been changed:

- Can no longer crouch while running. Still can't believe I didn't catch this before.  :mtongue:
- Went through just about all his attacks to change cornerpush, guardpush, damages, hitstun, guardstun, and juggle values all over the place. This should hopefully help to balance him out a little more all around. Jumping FK was especially broken prior to this change, but it should be much more balanced now.
- Changed up the way his "Shinobi Whirlwind" Super Art works a bit (especially in the corner). This change actually fixes an issue that I wasn't even aware of until today.
- Updated some details in the Read-Me here and there.  For the sake of being thorough.  :ninja:

Please re-download using the link in the first post.  :neutral:
Last Edit: September 22, 2023, 08:42:25 am by OrochiWeapon2000
#6  September 22, 2023, 10:04:50 pm
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
Really happy to see you back making content! I use to, and still dom love your 8bit sprites!
-STREET FIGHTER VI WAITING ROOM-
-DRAGON QUEST XII WAITING ROOM-
#7  October 08, 2023, 12:42:56 pm
    • USA
Alex Kidd has been updated once again! Please check the first post for the download link.  ;D

General Updates:
- Modified some animations to make them appear a bit smoother. Updated collisions accordingly.
- Modified many HitDefs, focusing mostly on pauses, vels, and damages across the board.
- Optimized some commands, like the Fireball attack and its follow-ups.
- Updated Readme, adding descriptions for new attacks, as well as updating descriptions for whatever changes were made to previous attacks.
- Added AfterImages to all Jan Ken Pon finishers for a tiny bit of flair.

Specific Updates:
- Added a new finisher to the Jan Ken Pon Combinations; "Paper Cutter".
- Made it so that the Sukopako motorcycle acts as a projectile in all forms of the "Sukopako Rush" Hyper Art.
- The Sukopako motorcycle now explodes when it hits the edge of the screen, as well as when it hits an opponent or their projectiles.
- Made it so that when the Peticopter is hit, it flashes briefly. It also has a new sound for when it gets hit.

I'm sure there are still going to be a couple more bugs that may need to be addressed, and maybe some aesthetic changes I'd like to do along the way as well. But for now, unless there's something seriously game-breaking found, I may just call this one done so I can focus more on my other characters.  :neutral: