YesNoOk

Hatter's Stuff. (Read 650848 times)

Started by hatter, August 29, 2015, 02:51:02 am
Re: Hatter's Art Vault.
#601  September 26, 2016, 12:17:06 am
  • I'm behind you!!!

I resized and frame-trimmed this from some frames I found on google. If you can ignore the aura and trace the frames themselves you might just have a better stance. It's about the same amount of frames a CvS stance should have. I hope this helps.
#602  September 26, 2016, 12:37:08 am
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
Sorry but not a chance. I refuse to work over bases for paid work.
This is a generic forum signature.
#603  September 26, 2016, 01:05:29 am
  • I'm behind you!!!
then use as a reference.
#604  September 26, 2016, 01:30:25 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Sorry but not a chance. I refuse to work over bases for paid work.
IMO this isn't a smart tactic. It would improve your product immensely and make it faster. Your commissioner will appreciate you not wasting time being hard headed trying to do it harder when he wants that exact animation that was posted.

Get to tracing!
#605  September 26, 2016, 01:32:50 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
Yeah, if I were the customer, I'd want you to do whatever it takes to make a quality product, even if you have to use others' work (within legalities, of course, which as far as MUGEN goes means giving credit).
#606  September 26, 2016, 01:44:14 am
  • I'm behind you!!!
I don't know who originally posted it on google but it looks like the best stance captured so far and for someone to trace over this it'd turn out smooth as hell.
#607  September 26, 2016, 01:49:55 am
#608  September 26, 2016, 01:51:07 am
  • T.G. "Thunder God" Xenomic
    • USA
    • Skype - shinxenomic@hotmail.com
    • http://network.mugenguild.com/xenomic/
To add onto this, sometimes doing "tracing" or whatever can lend itself to letting you learn things in itself. Might be able to further understand how poses or anatomy works by doing it that way. Of course, relying TOO much on it might be a good thing in itself, but using bases isn't a bad idea in itself.

vyn

#609  September 26, 2016, 02:35:04 am
    • Mexico
    • armandojc3@gmail.com

not 100% sure but this is supposed to be made by Steamboy33.

Hope this helps a little.
#610  September 26, 2016, 02:37:42 am
  • Master Relic Tech
  • Screenpack Maker EX
I say, go for it and what would it hurt. Give us the best, boss sprites you can muster.lol Good luck and never mind my input. I suck at drawing chicken scratch like for real. Now, that's a awesome sprite Vyn, really cool.
#611  September 26, 2016, 05:27:54 am
  • I'm behind you!!!
this was the original gif I found on google. I sized him down close to CvS size and reduced the amount of frames in between. It's not as smooth but it gets the job done. I could literally resize the rest of Werewood's Oni sprites and you'd have yourself a decent base to go off of. I don't know who ripped it but it's better than the stance in Werewood's Oni since it's smoother and you could make a solid CvS animation out of it. I would do it myself but I'm not very skilled with spriting details like muscles and such.

#612  September 26, 2016, 05:45:12 pm
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
Is this better?

#613  September 26, 2016, 05:52:28 pm
  • Shit
    • vadapega.akawah.net/motorroach/
No.

Like, there is a smooth animation going on in here, but the movement is incredibly lackluster. All he does is stay still and move his arms with a bit of sub pixelling to the legs. You should try to create a breathing movement that actually causes him to move slightly upwards and to the side, instead of staying on the same position.

Just look at the reference posted in here. It's not that hard to see it.

Shit
#614  September 26, 2016, 06:03:18 pm
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
#615  September 26, 2016, 06:39:19 pm
  • Some day I'll finish this thing...
    • Argentina
Like many people have pointed out, you are allowed to use references. You're not supposed to trace things if you're switching styles, though. Proportions/muscle definition/style vary wildly between games, so you're still going to have to redraw things if you want the sprites to look accurate.

Using the existing animation as a base though is still the best way to get the movement to match with the original. That's how I did my CVS SF5 sprites. You'd still be hard pressed to find an exact frame that matches my sprite 100%, because as I mentioned, it was redrawn to fit the appropriate proportions.

Regarding your progress, well... all I can say is stop cropping things for movement. If something moves, get into the habit of redrawing it. There's nothing wrong with cropping in and of itself, but you need to learn how to make sufficient changes so that it's not so obvious.

The best way to learn this is to go the long way round of actually redrawing each frame and then go back and see which parts you could've saved time on without sacrificing animation quality and which ones you would've had to redraw anyway.

Things that this sprite is missing right now are:
  • His knees bend a little if you pay close attention.
  • His (viewer´s) right foot also faces the camera, not the side.
#616  September 27, 2016, 12:52:15 am
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
Fine then.

Expect something in the coming days.

lui

#617  September 27, 2016, 04:53:05 am
    • USA
ah, i can see that you're a bit peeved from the way you typed it, sorry that you feel this way but you need to remember that some of these guys have been spriting for many many years, way longer than you and me (iirc we started around the same time? i mean on mfg atleast) and all they want is to see you do your best work, especially for commissions.

there's no harm using an existing movement as a base to go from, as long as you're not actually editing straight off of the sprite it's fine, a lot of proffessional companies have used bases as well.
#618  September 27, 2016, 04:59:47 am
  • I'm behind you!!!
you're looking for a way to shave off the time it takes to complete a sprite. tracing means you already have the structure there instead of fiddling with it multiple times. sometimes the hands are a bit messed up on these 3D models since they're resized but your general path is clear to the rest of the details there. More good looking sprites coming out faster means not only are you good with quality but time management as well. You never know you might get more commissions this way.
#619  September 27, 2016, 12:00:56 pm
  • Shit
    • vadapega.akawah.net/motorroach/
1. Tracing off a base is nothing that will condemn you, especially if you do it right. Chamat has done it before and the execution was flawlessly well done. You don't see anyone trying to tear him apart for doing so either:

2. You're clearly trying to simplify the animation way too much. The Oni gif on the top of the page has 12 frames... yours has 6. Not only it does not look smooth for the kind of stance that Oni has, but it just feels lackluster in general.

3. Taking one base sprite and editing the body little by little through frames is something I do when the animation warrants for mostly sub-pixels and a slow movement:

...and that's not the case for Oni's stance. Is it doable? A little, but even I tried to tweak the movement, and clearly it would require too much effort to get the job done through such method:

All that effort might as well be used to making a new sprite for each frame anyway. You still have to make his belt animate as well, given it's not meant to be completely still, and plus, it will likely feel much more natural if you start by making a new outline for each sprite and then shading it.

Shit
#620  September 27, 2016, 07:28:10 pm
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com

I traced it. Am I now in the "right direction"?