YesNoOk

"PotS style" Ken updated (Read 9335 times)

Started by Jmorphman, December 16, 2020, 08:26:09 pm
Share this topic:
"PotS style" Ken updated
#1  December 16, 2020, 08:26:09 pm
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman

preview video #1
preview video #2
preview video #3
preview video #4

See? The stronger fighter always wins! As easy to understand as a flowchart!

So uh, technically this update has been live since the middle of October, but I never got around to making a topic because the server has been having a number of issues and I couldn't update any of the presentational stuff on the website (but again, the actual zipped character file was still accessible and downloadable since October). And... those issues still exist, but I did some workarounds to get around them. Because I'm sick of waiting.

Anyways, this is now the fourth of the big updates on all my old characters: this is a complete and total revamp, with every single aspect of the character getting revised. I essentially made the character all over again, starting completely fresh, coding and animation-wise. Here's a complete list of changes:
  • Total revamp/recode. Added a more extensive color separation. Overhauled sprites, damage levels, animations, hitboxes, and coding. Now (mostly) uses frame data/velocities/timings from CvS2.
  • Hit sparks reduced 65% in size
  • Added EXPLODsive Buffering system, projectile reflection, and compatibility with the Reigi no Ishizue super from Vans's Chizuru.
  • SFIII mode added
  • New intro added against two versions of Robert: DivineWolf's and Chazzanova's
  • New intro added vs. Akuma by DivineWolf
  • Revamped team intro for Violent mode vs. Evil Ken
  • Fixed intro errors involving simul mode
  • Violent mode can no longer use Ushiro Mawashi Geri
  • Ushiro Mawashi Geri now knocks down in Master mode, like in SFA3
  • Tsukami Nage looks and behaves more like SFA3
  • Fixed EX Hadoken bug where it would not disappear when hit by projectiles that hit more than once
  • The Shoryuken effects are now from CvS2 (but the old Shoryuken FX is still used for SFIII mode)
  • Flames that appear on opponent when they are hit now disappear after a firm, set amount of time, exactly matching the PalFX applied to them. (They used to disappear if opponent regained control, or hit the floor if they were knocked down).
  • Can now cancel certain air normals into Airborne Tatsumaki Senpukyaku, though they will not connect on airborne opponents; cancelling the EX version will, however, have those hits connect
  • Shoryureppa no longer has a longish hit pause on the final few hits
  • Jouen Shinryuken has been renamed to Shonetsu Shinryuken
  • Added new sprites for Shonetsu Shinryuken
  • Soryuken has been overhauled to look and feel better
  • Added a new team super for Violent Ken and Evil Ryu: Shin Goku Messatsu
  • [Ryu patch] If the conditions for activating one of the team supers is met, an AI-controlled Ryu will now try to remain relatively stationary, and will not initiate a new attacks (Ryu will however return to his normal AI routine as soon as any of the conditions for the team super are no longer true); this is intended to greatly ease the chance of pulling off the team supers, and also applies to Ken's AI routine.
There's no doubt many other things that have been changed, but I couldn't remember everything! This is just what I happened to have written down while I was working on the update.

PATCHES
All of the many patches that add Ken compatibility/interaction to other characters have also been updated; I even had to make a few new ones too. Here there are:

This character features extensive interactivity with Ryu by Phantom.of.the.Server; a patch is available here. Please note that the patch for Ryu is for 1.0 ONLY; it will crash WinMUGEN. This same interactivity is also present with mwryly's Ryu; a patch for mwryly's Ryu is available here.

This character also features an intro with vyn's cvsxterry. A patch to add this intro to his Terry is available here.

Violent Ken mode has an intro with Vega by Phantom.of.the.Server; a patch to add that intro to Vega is available here. The same intro is also compatible with Froz's Master Bison; a patch for that version of the character is available here.

This character had a few other preexisting intros with various characters, but they may have been broken after the most recent update. The following are patches to apply to those characters to fix their intros to work with the updated version of Ken: Sean by Victorys, Robert by ChazzaNova, Terry by CrazyKoopa.
Re: "PotS style" Ken updated
#2  December 16, 2020, 08:30:04 pm
    • Aruba
COOL! Time to download this amazing Ken.
#3  December 16, 2020, 10:15:28 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
Awesome surprise !!
So you were cooking this as well :)

About SF3 mode, does you Ken already had some selectable SF3 move set ?

The update seems impressive.

EDIT : so weird, I just imagined someone make a video about a full parry using Ken (your Ken)
And you just uploaded this. I'm speechless because I just though about it 20 minutes ago...
Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 10:18:49 pm by Nedflandeurse
#4  December 16, 2020, 10:49:14 pm
  • Indeed
Woah! Awesome! Thanks for this, man
#5  December 17, 2020, 12:45:57 am
  • Formerly known as HyperClawManiac
  • Competitive MUGEN when?
    • UK
    • sites.google.com/view/ragingrowen/home

My feedback is mostly cosmetics:

1. Jigoku Gurama is quite empty without the Swing sounds.
2. Shippu Jinrai Kyaku is weird when the Swing sounds continue after the hits. I might suggest decreasing the volume of those in a fade-out manner.
3. Level 3 (and Master) Shinryuken is kinda anti-climatic now since it has lost the big flame sound from the original.
4. The Level 3 Shinryuken also keeps it's flame size for Master Mode.
5. Can I/we have an option to disable the Easy Level 3 commands, since I'm not keen on using a non-Super motion for them.
WIP Schedule:
The next Street Fighter All-Stars update
#6  December 17, 2020, 02:24:40 am
    • USA
Awesome surprise !!
So you were cooking this as well :)

About SF3 mode, does you Ken already had some selectable SF3 move set ?
SFIII mode was added quite a while ago, but never as a true official update. This is mostly just splitting hairs, but I've occasionally added stuff or done minor revamps to characters before, all without making any of those an "official" and complete update. I'd just quietly update the character archive on my site and then say something about what I added in my WIP thread; SFIII mode, as well as the new sprites for SFIV's Ultra Shinryuken (and probably other things) came about because one of those half updates. Those were all half-measures, however; I had always intended to come back and do a full, true revamp + update; that's why I was reluctant to label them as actual updates, because they weren't actually finished to the full extent that I had planned.

EDIT : so weird, I just imagined someone make a video about a full parry using Ken (your Ken)
And you just uploaded this. I'm speechless because I just though about it 20 minutes ago...
That video (along with the rest) has been up for months now, I also posted it on Discord back then, maybe you're subconsciously remembering it without realizing it? :ninja:

Jigoku Gurama is quite empty without the Swing sounds.
They're not there anymore, but it seems weird to describe it as being empty there's absolutely still a lot of sounds in that move: those specific sounds were replaced with another sound (of Ken and the opponent hitting the floor together). In addition to being how this move worked/sounded in CvS2, I also think it sounds better: Ken and his opponent are rolling around on top of each other, so it makes sense there would be sounds associated with that action.

2. Shippu Jinrai Kyaku is weird when the Swing sounds continue after the hits. I might suggest decreasing the volume of those in a fade-out manner.
His leg is still fully extended and he's still spinning, so there should still be those same sounds. This is a rule all his other Tatsu attacks follow and I see no reason why it should be changed here. And in the non-SFIII mode version, his leg does actually lower (eventually) and the woosh sounds stop being played.

Level 3 (and Master) Shinryuken is kinda anti-climatic now since it has lost the big flame sound from the original.
It sounded out of place with every other sound effect. I wonder if I can grab one of Kyo's instead?

The Level 3 Shinryuken also keeps it's flame size for Master Mode.
Intentional. I thought it was weird to have the non-level 3 version of Shinryuken have way bigger flames in Master mode; the only reason I did that in the first place was to match Puzzle Fighter, but I wasn't taking into account the fact that things are really exaggerated in that game, similar to MvC. So theoretically a CvSesque version of that super would have flame effects toned down, ones comparable to the ones from SFIV.

Can I/we have an option to disable the Easy Level 3 commands, since I'm not keen on using a non-Super motion for them.
I don't think it really makes sense to make a whole config file just for those commands. Besides, deleting them is pretty easy; just search the .cmd for "alt command" and you'll find the two ChangeStates that use them.
#7  December 17, 2020, 02:25:44 am
  • blue cat
    • USA
    • https://austinsanims.github.io
dude the funny thing is i thought this was gonna be a joke character because "pots styled" characters that are very inaccurate have been kinda an inside joke in the mugen community
#8  December 17, 2020, 02:30:36 am
    • USA
Well, I'd like to think that my resume speaks for itself.
#9  December 17, 2020, 02:47:56 am
    • USA
    • jaymugen.neocities.org
wtf how did you confuse Jman with me lol
#10  December 17, 2020, 02:55:06 am
  • I hate coding helpers.
    • Brazil
I just noticed that if you hit an airborne opponent with Hadouken/EX Hadouken they can use air recovery, but they can't do it when hit by Shoryuken/Tatsu. Intentional?
#11  December 17, 2020, 03:55:10 am
    • USA
Yep; same thing happens with PotS's characters. I don't think most other moves allow air recoveries, besides projectiles, but this is all off the top of my head.
New #12  December 17, 2020, 04:05:22 am
  • The Lord of Vampire
  • Member of the Reign of Kreation
    • Brazil
    • guiaugusto20@hotmail.com
    • Skype - guiaugusto20
Holy smokes!! :O

Time to test this for sure! Thanks Jmorph. ;)

EDIT: Tested and man, such great improvement on Ken.
Sadly i ain't got to do V. Ken/E. Ryu's Team Super, tried a lot but failed. :/
Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 12:04:14 am by 【MFG】gui0007