YesNoOk

Save The Animals! (Super Metroid 30th Anniversary Stage) (Read 4755 times)

Started by ShiroTori, March 19, 2024, 11:37:01 pm
Share this topic:
Save The Animals! (Super Metroid 30th Anniversary Stage)
#1  March 19, 2024, 11:37:01 pm
  • Formerly JordanoDaMano (JDM)
    • Canada
Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 11:42:27 pm by ShiroTori
Re: Save The Animals! (Super Metroid 30th Anniversary Stage)
#2  March 22, 2024, 04:24:12 pm
    • Portugal
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/
Nice work as always. I like how it's all original assets (right?) but still looking like the original games.

For feedback I think the ship could use a subtle SinY movement (and maybe an even subtler SinX). I also personally like to make rain slowly scroll horizontally so it doesn't always fall in the same places. The BGM could be faster paced too (although your choice makes it a pretty cool training stage also).
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
My Mugen and Ikemen content can also be found here.
#3  March 24, 2024, 02:15:45 pm
    • Argentina
    • matrerog@yahoo.com.ar
I can't get enough of saying how nice ScepterDPinoy's pixel art is.
Good job on the release, guys!
#4  March 25, 2024, 06:48:16 am
    • Canada
Thank you guys! ^^

Nice work as always. I like how it's all original assets (right?) but still looking like the original games.

For feedback I think the ship could use a subtle SinY movement (and maybe an even subtler SinX). I also personally like to make rain slowly scroll horizontally so it doesn't always fall in the same places. The BGM could be faster paced too (although your choice makes it a pretty cool training stage also).

I'm currently working on an update incorporating your feedback, I think it'll add a little liveliness to the stage. Do you think the Noble Demon's arrangement I used for the second fight in the preview video might be better paced? I can include that in the update as well if so, and I welcome any suggestions for BGM.

Also yeah, Scepter did all of the sprites here. Sometimes he will incorporate assets from games/other people as Easter Eggs, such as the "Wanted" posters in the Mirage Saloon stage, the DK barrel in the New Donk City stage, or the classic Namco sprites in the Ridge Racer stage. But generally our collabs are made entirely using his sprite work.

I can't get enough of saying how nice ScepterDPinoy's pixel art is.
Good job on the release, guys!

For real! I love continuing to bring his work to life in Mugen.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#5  March 25, 2024, 04:16:15 pm
    • Portugal
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/
Do you think the Noble Demon's arrangement I used for the second fight in the preview video might be better paced? I can include that in the update as well if so, and I welcome any suggestions for BGM.
It takes a while to pick up, but when it does it definitely packs more of a punch than the original, I think. Highly subjective thing, either way.

You could also use the final escape music given the context, but that might be too fast paced. It also would feel weird since Samus isn't escaping ASAP in the stage I guess. Maybe the Crateria main theme would be a good middle ground. Or the credits theme.
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
My Mugen and Ikemen content can also be found here.
#6  March 29, 2024, 12:49:53 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Do you think the Noble Demon's arrangement I used for the second fight in the preview video might be better paced? I can include that in the update as well if so, and I welcome any suggestions for BGM.
For the context of a fighting game level arrangement of the Crateria theme, I would recommend the Metroid Metal version. It fully ramps up at the start, and keeps that same level of energy for the entirety of the runtime, which I think are both very important for any stage theme.
Re: Save The Animals! (Super Metroid 30th Anniversary Stage) Updated 4/3/24
#7  April 04, 2024, 05:33:24 am
    • Canada
Stage has been updated! Sorry I took a while to get this done, I ended up getting the flu last week.

- Added movement to Samus' ship and the rain
- Includes new options for music (Thank you Jmorphman for your suggestion! I included it as well ^^)

I also uploaded a video where you can see this latest update in action, alongside the latest versions of other stages Scepter and I worked on:
Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 05:39:36 am by ShiroTori
#8  April 05, 2024, 12:30:48 pm
  • Stages & Screen Pack
  • Mugen Creator
    • USA
    • https://jusmugen.forumotion.com/
Stage has been updated! Sorry I took a while to get this done, I ended up getting the flu last week.

- Added movement to Samus' ship and the rain
- Includes new options for music (Thank you Jmorphman for your suggestion! I included it as well ^^)

I also uploaded a video where you can see this latest update in action, alongside the latest versions of other stages Scepter and I worked on:
[youtube]https://youtu.be/byVIxrTY9cU[/youtube]
I also love your work too coming from me I enjoy retro original pixel art. also you ever consider making the the stage with a parallax floor for the "Save the animal stage ?

Join My JUSMUGEN Community.
https://jusmugen.forumotion.com/
#9  April 05, 2024, 04:34:05 pm
  • Original characters are my forte.
    • http://network.mugenguild.com/bane84/
Just out of curiosity: is your "Save the Animals!" a reference to the recurring Games Done Quick meme?
New #10  April 06, 2024, 11:19:48 pm
    • Canada
I also love your work too coming from me I enjoy retro original pixel art. also you ever consider making the the stage with a parallax floor for the "Save the animal stage ?

Thank you! I too love me some pixel art, and these collabs with Scepter have been some of my favourite Mugen projects I've worked on. ^^

Also there is a parallax floor in this stage, but it's done using deltas as opposed to using "parallax" assets.

Just out of curiosity: is your "Save the Animals!" a reference to the recurring Games Done Quick meme?

I'm actually not sure. I could ask Scepter if that particular meme was the idea behind naming the stage.
Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 11:34:28 pm by ShiroTori