YesNoOk

I got a C&D mail from Interplay... (Read 98749 times)

Started by Basara Lapis, September 05, 2023, 02:25:51 am
Share this topic:
Re: I got a C&D mail from Interplay...
#41  September 11, 2023, 07:03:48 am
    • USA
ah yes, ye olde "my Gdrive was hacked and it had the most recent (almost complete) beta on it oh no"

I think its best to wait for a official responce 1st before doing something like that. Maybe they can realise Mugen is a profit free game or something.

It should be more like someone who obtained it before it got DMCA'd leaked it and no work has been done on it since. That's what happened to Crimson's Echo (A Chrono Trigger SNES hack that was DMCA'd by Square near completeion.)
#42  September 11, 2023, 11:06:53 pm
    • Brazil
I mean, Pokemon Uranium was C&Ded by Nintendo and there are other people still working on it, its just not being publically revealed.
#43  September 11, 2023, 11:22:32 pm
  • Did I hear something about a scooby snack?
    • USA
    • squidlypoli1.neocities.org
I mean he could work on it in private (and he is already finishing up what he had before he was forced to stop), but revealing the completed product bum-fuck out of nowhere one day is just going to make people confused and get certain kinds of people to make bad C&D jokes that are somehow worse than the ones for nintendo fangames. Or yet again, a lawsuit. A lawsuit is the one thing he really wants to avoid here so that's why he's advising everyone else to tread carefully.

The problem is other companies, bigger (and successful) ones, are fully aware of MUGEN and decided to leave it alone. Why is a lesser company like Interplay rearing their heads from whatever hole they dug for themselves to pull a C&D on a project that does more good than harm to the IP? If they had any brain, they'd go as far as openly support the project so they can pretend they're doing something with the IP.

I think the reason why most companies don't support derivative MUGEN stuff is because the engine itself has a non-commercial license, and they don't want others to see it as some kind of competition because they know it isn't. People tend to bring that up a lot whenever someone does something tangentially related to money in this community.
#44  September 12, 2023, 01:01:28 am
    • USA
I mean he could work on it in private (and he is already finishing up what he had before he was forced to stop), but revealing the completed product bum-fuck out of nowhere one day is just going to make people confused and get certain kinds of people to make bad C&D jokes that are somehow worse than the ones for nintendo fangames. Or yet again, a lawsuit. A lawsuit is the one thing he really wants to avoid here so that's why he's advising everyone else to tread carefully.

The problem is other companies, bigger (and successful) ones, are fully aware of MUGEN and decided to leave it alone. Why is a lesser company like Interplay rearing their heads from whatever hole they dug for themselves to pull a C&D on a project that does more good than harm to the IP? If they had any brain, they'd go as far as openly support the project so they can pretend they're doing something with the IP.

I think the reason why most companies don't support derivative MUGEN stuff is because the engine itself has a non-commercial license, and they don't want others to see it as some kind of competition because they know it isn't. People tend to bring that up a lot whenever someone does something tangentially related to money in this community.

If its fucking competitive shit then i support corporate warfare Cruelty squad style.
#45  September 12, 2023, 08:24:49 pm
  • I am become Death, Destroyer of Tiers
    • UK
I mean, Pokemon Uranium was C&Ded by Nintendo and there are other people still working on it, its just not being publically revealed.

Uranium was released before being C&D'd though.
That's how people were working on it, they downloaded the original release and worked on that.
Same with AM2R. Released, then DCMA'd.

Are you trying to fuckin mock basakun? Since you sound like you mocking him hell i think you're one of interplay's goons trying to harass him like take 2 did with modders. Get out scum, no one wants copyright abusers, The Centrlists will take over this fuckin forum.

Bro, what?

I was reffering to what happened with Pokemon Prism, where koolboyman got a C&D from Gamefreak and then had his GDrive "hacked" which just happened to had the most up to date beta on it.
#46  September 12, 2023, 09:13:17 pm
    • USA

Uranium was released before being C&D'd though.
That's how people were working on it, they downloaded the original release and worked on that.
Same with AM2R. Released, then DCMA'd.

Are you trying to fuckin mock basakun? Since you sound like you mocking him hell i think you're one of interplay's goons trying to harass him like take 2 did with modders. Get out scum, no one wants copyright abusers, The Centrlists will take over this fuckin forum.

Bro, what?

I was reffering to what happened with Pokemon Prism, where koolboyman got a C&D from Gamefreak and then had his GDrive "hacked" which just happened to had the most up to date beta on it.

Couldn's just fuckin explain that quicker Christ besides acting very silent since it sounded like you just made an insult toward Basakun. Anyways sooner or later their stupid abusive copyright laws might going to change now due to this shit https://apnews.com/article/japan-population-decline-foreign-low-births-d047ea6136a5c66ffc45508cb824d5f1 I say make japan part of united states plus we needed their tech anyways to make united states along with the world an better place anyways.
#47  September 12, 2023, 10:16:22 pm
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Dude, what the fuck are you doing? Stop responding to everyone with such vitriol and aggression. Stop making immediate over the top assumptions about users whose posts you don't understand.

And tone down the super fucking weird shit you keep saying about Japan.
#48  September 12, 2023, 11:36:23 pm
    • USA
I don't even really think Japan actually has anything to do with the situation. How TPCi and Nintendo handle their fangames were really only used as examples. Basara is in Chile, and Interplay, more or less the "big enemy" of this situation, is in the United States too. They're all completely different countries and I couldn't think of a worse time to bring up that declining birth rate people meme about.

I also think the other big thing Basara wouldn't want is this thread getting shitcanned. It's already made its way to multiple news sites and having them redirect to the shit thread and seeing all of the other misjudgements people make on this forum would... well, make matters much worse than they already are.
#49  September 14, 2023, 05:13:43 am
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/

It is official, it's over, nothing to do against a videogame company who still got the rights of a fangame like mine.

Thanks to all for your support and your words, I'll make the announcements in all my social media and my site, then all Infinite Clayfare content will be removed. Maybe that's the way things are, that the good things don't last...

After I get off the IC content, I'll delete the fullgame thread and this one will be locked. Again, thanks for your support, people, it means a lot to me :)

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#50  September 14, 2023, 05:25:10 am
    • USA
After I get off the IC content, I'll delete the fullgame thread and this one will be locked. Again, thanks for your support, people, it means a lot to me :)

It's been an honor. Shame it had to go out destructively, but I really don't think there was any other option but to stop.
#51  September 14, 2023, 05:31:40 am
    • Brazil
Why are you saying "It's been an honor" like he's dying? He can work on other things too. On that note, fuck Interplay, I hope that worthless trash of a company dies.
#52  September 14, 2023, 05:40:19 am
    • USA
Why are you saying "It's been an honor" like he's dying? He can work on other things too.

I was more referring to him ending the thread as it was a response to his "thanks for your support" comment. I didn't mean to sound like he was ending mugen stuff for good, I just wanted to be respectful
#53  September 14, 2023, 06:43:56 am
  • 仮面ライダーグランドジオウ
  • The Scavenging Time and Space God
    • USA

It is official, it's over, nothing to do against a videogame company who still got the rights of a fangame like mine.

Thanks to all for your support and your words, I'll make the announcements in all my social media and my site, then all Infinite Clayfare content will be removed. Maybe that's the way things are, that the good things don't last...

If you'd contacted them from the beginning, then none of this would've happened.
#54  September 14, 2023, 07:22:57 am
    • USA

Well fucking god man fuck, you should of just followed the advice and maybe interplay would have fucking fucked off Edit: PS You should have censored the person's name on the email and now we have the person to look for now congrats
Last Edit: September 14, 2023, 07:29:36 am by Charles The fighter
#55  September 14, 2023, 07:36:06 am
  • Self-Sufficient Subhuman
  • "I hope you're ready for a beating!"
    • USA

Well fucking god man fuck, you should of just followed the advice and maybe interplay would have fucking fucked off Edit: PS You should have censored the person's name on the email and now we have the person to look for now congrats

You are fucking unhinged holy shit lol
#56  September 14, 2023, 07:38:48 am
    • USA

You are fucking unhinged holy shit lol

Hey, I'm just telling Basakun to just careful due to the email has some stuff. Edit: im sorry but i think i have to just distance myself from Mugen now.
Last Edit: September 14, 2023, 07:50:37 am by Charles The fighter
#57  September 14, 2023, 08:02:53 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Do not post in this thread anymore.

EDIT: actually, scratch that. That is no longer sufficient, given this other post.

When you return in 3 days, do not post in this thread, or any of Basara's other threads. In the future, think carefully before you post.

lui

#58  September 14, 2023, 02:21:52 pm
    • USA

If you'd contacted them from the beginning, then none of this would've happened.

No, it would not have changed a single thing.

Interplay is not interested in working with anyone else for a full game. There was no chance of Basara being a third party developer working with them.

Contacting them first doesnt matter as they clearly showed in the email they were not even interested in doing proper research about what Basara is and is not associated with.

They have the legal right to enforce their protection upon their IP as it is literally how you KEEP the IP in the first place. Not doing so risks losing access to said IP and Interplay does not want that as it is the only thing keeping them afloat.
#59  September 14, 2023, 03:04:50 pm
  • "Forgeddaboudit"
  • Squawkabilly
    • Romania
    • wf4123.neocities.org

Oh no... anyway.
#60  September 14, 2023, 05:28:26 pm
  • Gotta Mugenize 'Em All
    • Russia
    • sites.google.com/site/yochismugensite/

Welp, it feels like it's all over now. You made the right choice because lawyers of such companies like Interplay are quite too aggressive, even if the IP is still owned yet is still quite inactive (i.e. no more new games since the latest installment that was released long time ago or so).
If I was a developer of ClayFighter fan games, I would always stay away from making ClayFighter fan games because of this situation.