Palettes are stupid. (Read 6095 times)

Started by Bastard Mami, March 04, 2009, 07:52:09 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Palettes are stupid.
#21  March 05, 2009, 08:19:19 pm
  • ???
    • UK
    • Skype - koopakootmugen
They are doing it at the cost of extra sprites.

Which is why I think Blaz Blue sprites look better. Don't get me wrong. The XII detail is the most impressive I've seen, but SNK fail at showing off.
#22  May 31, 2009, 08:39:16 am
i not understand about to stay 3 hours for make a sprite palettize
you can use other methods and make the sprite for shared pallete with no much color loss
i tried some time ago with goku HR and that was my results

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

in this case i not see color loss
but maybe this cant work propperli in other chars
#23  January 27, 2010, 06:53:57 pm
Hey, I was wondering what you guys consider the best program for editing palettes and creating hi-res sprites
 So far I've been using mainly gimp and photoshop,  but I see a lot of people using paintshop pro.

I tried resizing  some sprites of Vegeta from Supersonic Warriors2 so that it will look the right size in mugen, but theres so much quality loss in resizing the damn sprite..

I tried the same thing with the ZeroX6 sprite sheet, but quality is horrible compared to the MvC Zero..
So far, the best resizing method  I got was resizing it using "Bicubic sharp" or "Nearest Neighbor" in Photoshop.
It takes up so much of my time editing sprites  and I get shitty results in the end..heh
Hey Juano Borsalino, Whats your trick man??  It'd be cool if you posted a tutorial..

Whats up with these sprites losing so much quality??
#24  January 31, 2010, 03:09:31 am
  • all is love in fair and war
 I never edit sprite rip, so I never have problem with paletting.

but in photoshop you can color sample/pick the picture you have, and insert those color (still using the color pick tool click on empty spaces in your active palette (the one on the right side of the screen above the layer panel), try to put it in the organized order, area per area (skin, hair,eyes,shirt,pants,shoes,accessories, weapon, item, fx, interface) something like that
and then save the palette into .act (instead of aco).

now go to action panel, and make a folder there (name it pal edit or something you like) and record a new action

now go to image mode and change it from rgb into indexed, then choose custom, there would be a palette pop up window, load you own palette you just created instead, then click OK.

now stop the action recording. and close the file without saving

go to file, automatic batch
open the action you just recorded, browse the folder where you stored your captured sprites, click on
"save and close"

and start the batch process.

it will take time, but you're done already  :)
#25  January 31, 2010, 04:09:41 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
I would suggest you to hand pick the colors you want on the sprite and do a few test with a few different palettes and keep the best one.

REgarding the original topic, the blazblue rips confirm something, at that res you can be very lenient with sprite quality and still have decent onscreen results.