YesNoOk

Acts of Violence Sprite Development Thread (Read 2688 times)

Started by TempestSageJDJ, November 13, 2013, 08:04:25 am
Acts of Violence Sprite Development Thread
#1  November 13, 2013, 08:04:25 am
  • Striving to improve!
    • USA
Hello, fellow members and guests of this forum. I'd to welcome you to the development thread of Acts of Violence, a fighting game being developed and created by your friendly neighborhood Sage. To those that have seen my sprite work topic, you know that I've been changing up styles and methods again and again, creating some good and some bad sprites. I've been recommended to do a lot of things, and, although I haven't been having the time to do some of those things, such as learning how to draw, which I plan on doing since I need some portraits made when I start creating, I've tried my best to implement those things. I think that this thread will start out with low quality sprites that will increase in quality, as well as uniqueness, as I continue to sprite for this game during my free time. So let's start out with a Q and A:

Q: You're not really a very good spriter, why are you making this now?
A: To get it off the ground. Imo I think it's good to start making drafts and creating while you still have the energy to do so. And I'll improve while I work, so don't worry when you see something poor iyo.

Q: Okay, are you doing this alone?
A: Spritewise yes. Coding maybe. I may ask for some coding help in the future.

Q: How many characters will be in it?
A: 16 in the first game.

Q: First game, there's Sequels planned?
A: Yes, at least 2 or more.

Q: What engine that you will be using?
A: The MUGEN fighting engine.

Q: But MUGEN sucks!
A: That's your opinion and your entitled to it, but if you can find a better engine, please tell me the name.

Q:How will this game play?
A: This game is all deadly strategy, as well as powerful combos. The button system is a simple 4 button layout with an extra button. The 4 buttons are two punches and two kicks. The extra button is used for a move unique to the character called a Violent Technique. Offensively, there's a lot of options. One offensive move is called an Extension. An Extension can vary from commands normals, to specials, and even supers. To use it, you have to perform the Extension, and then, when you have a certain amount of Violent Meter, which is a unique feature in this game that allows the use of Violent Techniques, you can cancel into another attack as long as it is the exact type of attack that the extension is. Defense is also important. This is where Violent Techniques come in. Each one has a different effect and property, making the game change a lot during battles. Footsies in this game can rely on character's normals, as well as using the Violent Meter to extend block pushback. Combos in this game are somewhat limited, but can still be very damaging due to juggles being limited, but damage not being dampened.

Q: Why are palettes there?
A: For editing reasons. Someone may try to create a new palette.

Q: Why are they're only 14 colors?
A: The color limit in CvS in 14. The background color is there as the 15 color.

Q: Do you allow others to edit your sprites?
A: Sure. I don't mind.

Q: What is the base for?
A: Is to show what the character looks like sprite wise.

Now for the characters:
Spoiler: Win (click to see content)

Spoiler: Day (click to see content)

Spoiler: Lux (click to see content)

Spoiler: Snowdove (click to see content)

Spoiler: Zatara (click to see content)

Spoiler: Kenneth (click to see content)

Spoiler: Rio (click to see content)

Spoiler: Kamakaze (click to see content)

Spoiler: Spoiler Character (click to see content)

About the characters:
1.) Win Leasure
Description: One of the main characters of the game. His fighting style is a combination of a special kind of new fictional Karate that involves the use of quick thought process and speed. He has the power of blue lighting and utilizes the quick thinking skills needed in this new style, but rather attack quickly, he uses his senses to try and out think his opponent.
Design and Style Notes: Win's design as well as his style is inspired by the Mishimas' fighting style and designs from Tekken, mainly Kazuya. He does wear upper body attire, which is a blue stash that represents his intermediate status as a martial artist. His trunks are inspired by many Karate trunks, but unlike normal trunks, they are baggy and heavy, which shows that the wearer is holding back in terms of speed.

2.) Day Coles
Description: Win's future rival. He's a swordsman that also utilizes speed, but he also utilizes power in his swipes at the same time. He uses his sword for serious damage, while mainly attacking with his fists. His high damaging moves consists of combos with his sword and his own limbs. He doesn't really think before attacking, but rather, he recklessly, yet poetically, swings his sword hoping to make a hit.
Design and Style Notes: Day's design is to show someone that doesn't hold back for a second. His attire is light in mass and weight. His sword is a special designed Kitana. The colors on his attire are meant to show burning rage due to the serious attitude problem that Day has. His style is very reckless and revolves on dumb luck.

3.) Lux Deville
Description: A character that's more self aligned, yet somewhat evil. She loves to get in trouble and is seriously greedy. She fight using manipulative techniques taught by a dark version of the new fictional Karate. She can also bend light, which turns black due to her dark teachings. She uses this ability to deal serious damage.
Design and Style Notes: Like Win, she's inspired by the Mishimas' fight style and design, but her design is more based on the later version of Kazuya. Her colors are used to symbolize evil and greed. Her attire is lighter than Win's, showing that holding back is not an option. Besides from having Mishima inspired moves, she also has moves inspired by two very popular Street Fighter villans: M. Bison and Juri.

4.) Mano "Snowdove" Yamagi(Somewhat sprited, but still needs work)
Description: A young girl forced to an evil fate. After getting lost in New York in a snowstorm, she is founded by a demon worshiping cult that performs a demon trapping ritual on her. That leads to her having to do their bidding as well as live with a monster inside of her. Due to the demon, she can create ice in different forms on her body, as well as create strong icy winds.
Design and Style Notes: Yamagi's design is basically my version of a generic ice fighter. Her attire and colors are meant to show that a secret is hidden inside her. Her clothing is also meant to look casual to hide that secret. Her style is somewhat like a basic swordsman, as well as a kicker. Her kick moves are inspired by many popular kick type characters like Chun-li and Robert Garcia.

5.) "Constant" Kenneth Rogers
Description: A neutral fighter. He mainly fights in the streets to help make a living. He doesn't have any special powers or abilities. To him, these are impossible and when he actually sees something like that, he calls them 'Japanese Firework Tricks'.
Design and Style Notes: Kenneth is inspired by many boxer type characters, as well as many street walkers. His attire is like that of a basic street punk. There isn't really any inspiration for his colors, just something bright to be different. His style is basic street instincts.

6.) Haruna Zatara(Sprited and editing)
Description: A very good, kind, and humble person. After surviving a life threatening disease, she is a very thankful person. The reason behind her fighting spirit, however, is unknown. She mainly uses special white flames. These flames were created due to strange after effect of surviving the disease.
Design and Style Notes: Zatara's Design is meant to show elegance similar to the elegant design of Jun from Tekken. Her clothing is rather simple, but the designs and colors on her clothing is meant to show her burning passion. Her style is inspired by Kyosuke and Iori.

7.) Kamakaze
Description: An evil, mysterious, soft spoken person. He works for an unknown mafia like group as one of the main assassins, as well as a bodyguard due to his huge size. He uses a mysterious aura to his disposal.
Design and Style Notes: This beast's design is meant to be intimidating, yet mysterious, His attire is like that of a fictional armored guardian. He also wears a mask inspired by Japanese folk demons. His style is meant to rough and aggressive.

8.) Rio "Hurricane" Herendez.
Description: A casual Luchador. Besides his regular wrestling skills, he also uses the power of wind by making tornadoes to launch his opponent. He's very energetic and happy, but he's not afraid to fight for what is right.
Design and Style Notes: Rio's design is inspired by many types of professional wrestling. His main concept comes from The Hurricane, a WWE wrestler. His style of fighting stands out because he uses a vortex attack, something that isn't common in a lot o grapplers.
Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 06:04:02 am by SageHarpuiaJDJ
Re: Acts of Violence Sprite Development Thread
#2  November 14, 2013, 01:28:52 pm
  • MUGEN IS MY LIFE /I promise from not to derail.
Great Project Sage 
Other than than Win and Zatara having sprites I see four palletes and and Win's head look like Jin rather than Kazuya
Esaka rules Beat that.... Or Just Get outta my way
#3  November 15, 2013, 02:40:33 am
  • Striving to improve!
    • USA
Update.
#4  November 16, 2013, 06:08:46 am
  • Striving to improve!
    • USA
Nother update.

I'm going to take a break for a bit. It's not going to be long, but I thought that I should point that out.
#5  November 30, 2013, 03:43:37 am
  • Striving to improve!
    • USA
Well, no updates yet, but I do have some news.

The only three characters that will get the highest priority will be Lux, Win, and Zatara.

Lux is first since I actually like what I did with her sprite.
#6  November 30, 2013, 03:50:38 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
not all of your pics are showing for me, some of them only show me the pal square thing. Dunno if thats on purpose but doubt it.
#7  November 30, 2013, 04:42:12 am
  • Striving to improve!
    • USA
Some of the spoilers are empty. I haven't made some sprites yet.
#8  January 03, 2014, 05:41:29 am
  • Striving to improve!
    • USA
Been awhile since I posted here. Well, I'm going to be fooling around with effects for a bit. I haven't really made any effects before, but I've looked at a lot, so I'd to see if I've got a basic idea.

This is a heavy punch motion blur that's going to be edited to look more electric like, but slightly smoother. I'd like opinions on how smooth the animation looks since I'm new to this.

Also, I think that I'm going to change the name to something more, to my tastes. Acts of Violence doesn't really seem to suit me for some reason.
#9  January 03, 2014, 08:40:57 pm
  • MUGEN IS MY LIFE /I promise from not to derail.
ok
Esaka rules Beat that.... Or Just Get outta my way