YesNoOk

Sailor Moon & Mercury 1.1 (29/02/24) (Read 9962 times)

Started by Million Miles, February 09, 2024, 06:32:26 pm
Share this topic:
Sailor Moon & Mercury 1.1 (29/02/24)
#1  February 09, 2024, 06:32:26 pm
Version 1.1 released! Links updated.
(01/03/24) Version 1.1b released.
(29/02/24) Version 1.1 released.
(19/02/24) Version 1.0b released.

Hello, MFG!
I made these characters in collaboration with rgveda99, he gets a cinnamon roll for all the hard work on PGSM arcade-style sprites. You can visit these threads to know more about his work.
Sailor Moon and Sailor Mercury use a custom gameplay style but closest it feels like is probably MvC. Note that I consider it mostly a draft so feedback is very welcome.

Spoiler: Screenshots (click to see content)
Both characters are meant for MUGEN 1.0

Sailor Moon: v1.1b download
Spoiler: Changelog (click to see content)

Sailor Mercury: v1.1b download
Spoiler: Changelog (click to see content)
Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 11:35:57 am by Million Miles
Re: Sailor Moon & Sailor Mercury beta release
#2  February 09, 2024, 11:58:33 pm
  • Proud Kirby enthusiast
    • Greece
The moons in Sailor Moon's and Mercury's eyecatch intros are misaligned, other than that I haven't found any issues with both, they play really well and I like the effects. Good work!
Last Edit: February 10, 2024, 01:04:33 am by sergioprft
#3  February 10, 2024, 02:00:25 am
Will we see their super technique names complete with MSHvsSF "Hyper Combo FINISH!"?
#4  February 10, 2024, 04:48:21 pm
    • UK
This is awesome
I can't wait for more Sailor Scouts
#5  February 10, 2024, 05:17:04 pm
The moons in Sailor Moon's and Mercury's eyecatch intros are misaligned, other than that I haven't found any issues with both, they play really well and I like the effects. Good work!
Not sure we are talking about the same thing but this light circle offset is intentional. This creates a sort of 3d perspective in the original eyecatch:

Well, anyway I reduced the shift slightly and made lighting more soft (updated in screenshot too).

Will we see their super technique names complete with MSHvsSF "Hyper Combo FINISH!"?
Haha, that's a nice idea. Still deciding on super KO effects to fit the tone of classic anime.

Glad you like it, guys. I updated both links with hotfix right now:
-fixed Sailor Moon glowing aura glitch when using teleport during Planet Power
-fixed bugged behaviour of Mercury's Shine Aqua Cutter when enemy activates superpause
-some moveset commands in readme files of both characters were incorrect, fixed
#6  February 10, 2024, 05:22:27 pm
    • Portugal
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/
Cool chars. Here's some impressions after playing them a bit:

SAILOR MOON:
- Hitboxes are more complicated than they needed to be
- Close LK could maybe trigger closer to P2. It makes combos miss
- She can double jump by for instance holding UF then switching to holding U
- Crouching HP could use posadd instead of velocity
- FF is a bad input for throws
- Standing and crouching HP frame data is a bit too good
- The hop back she does when hitting jumping HP is detrimental to her
- Air dash having invincibility is odd
- I can't get getup attack to work
- Can't jump forward while running
- Light Moon Tiara Action is a neat idea but it may be more powerful than you expect it to be. Could do less damage than hard version and have a limited number of wall bounces
- Her back dash makes her pretty unconventional to play. Mixed feelings about it
- Both versions of Silver Crystal are the same. You could vary the amount of projectiles she shoots along with how long the animation lasts
- Spiral Heart Attack seems like her best special. A bit overpowered. The angle is too good, damage too high and knocks down. Could address those aspects a bit without making it less fun to use
- Having one type of projectile active should probably prevent her from using the others
- The specials that don't have EX versions could use them
- The KO scream in Moon Princess Halation is a bit much
- EX Rising Moon could have some kind of invincibility. Maybe the regular version as well, but especially the EX version
- Moon Tiara Stardust input is listed incorrectly. It's a pretty unconventional super. I like it

MERCURY:
- I tested Sailor Moon first so some of her feedback applies to both
- Running kick startup is still statetype S
- Related to the comment about hitboxes, but if two Mercuries walk against each other they won't push each other properly
- Aqua Mist is a cool mechanic. I think it should time out though. With levels decreasing after X frames
- Max Aqua Mist could give her two air dashes just because it makes sense
- Maybe only hard Shine Aqua Illusion should have invincibility. I say this because it's overpowered in the light version, and the fact the hard version teleports her is a disadvantageous thing but is worth it if it has invincibility
- Light Reverse Break Step moving back also hurts her game
- Aqua Mirage hitbox is way too good
- Not sure what's the ingame purpose of Retrograde Aqua Mirage
- Same thing I said about Moon's dragon punches
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
My Mugen and Ikemen content can also be found here.
#7  February 10, 2024, 06:20:36 pm
Wow, thats a LOT of valuable info, thank you very much, PotS!

- I can't get getup attack to work
Try holding UP and mashing P+K when getup animation plays.
Not sure what exactly the problem is. If you run by pressing PP you still need to hold FWD to jump forward instead of neutral. Maybe it would be more convinient to make forward jump the default one when running.
- Her back dash makes her pretty unconventional to play. Mixed feelings about it
That means I did a fine job converting her clumsiness into gameplay :mlol:
- Spiral Heart Attack seems like her best special. A bit overpowered. The angle is too good, damage too high and knocks down. Could address those aspects a bit without making it less fun to use
Was desperately trying to balance it with long startup. It's the strongest attack in her normal form so it's supposed to be good. How much should I cut the damage in your opinion?
- The KO scream in Moon Princess Halation is a bit much
Not sure I understand. The KO scream is always the same.
- Light Reverse Break Step moving back also hurts her game
- Not sure what's the ingame purpose of Retrograde Aqua Mirage
Both these moves interact with Aqua Mist (lvl 2+) so enemy can't tell wich version of move is used. Apart from this Retrograde Aqua Mirage was supposed to be basically air backdash to give her more agility in air. Light Reverse Break Step was supposed to work as anti jump-in/jump-over but it probably failed.
#8  February 10, 2024, 06:40:30 pm
  • Proud Kirby enthusiast
    • Greece
Not sure we are talking about the same thing but this light circle offset is intentional. This creates a sort of 3d perspective in the original eyecatch

Oh huh I must have forgotten about that, I don't remember much from the classic show so whoops.
#9  February 10, 2024, 06:54:14 pm
    • Portugal
Try holding UP and mashing P+K when getup animation plays.
Oh I misread the input. Was trying 2P/2K. "U+x/y+a/b" is kind of confusing when you think about it.

Now that I've seen it, I think you should either lose the invincibility or make these attacks very unsafe (preferable).

Not sure what exactly the problem is. If you run by pressing PP you still need to hold FWD to jump forward instead of neutral. Maybe it would be more convinient to make forward jump the default one when running.
It works correctly with C but if you do F, F, UF she will jump straight up.

Was desperately trying to balance it with long startup. It's the strongest attack in her normal form so it's supposed to be good. How much should I cut the damage in your opinion?
The damage isn't its strongest aspect but I'd probably keep it below 100.

Not sure I understand. The KO scream is always the same.
I mean having it at all is a bit much. But it's not a big deal.

Both these moves interact with Aqua Mist (lvl 2+) so enemy can't tell wich version of move is used.
That's a great point. Nice job.

EDIT: After playing in VS for a bit it feels like they build meter too fast.
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
Last Edit: February 10, 2024, 10:03:50 pm by PotS
#10  February 18, 2024, 01:29:53 pm
Update to 1.0 is here guys! Links are in original post.

List of changes:
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

(19/02/24)Update: Released a small patch for both girls that fixes some things I overlooked. Let's call this one 1.0b.
Last Edit: February 19, 2024, 05:52:52 pm by Million Miles
Re: Sailor Moon & Mercury 1.0 (19/02/24)
#11  February 24, 2024, 04:54:04 pm
    • Portugal
Nice updates. :thumbsup: A few more things:

- Z still results in a throw attempt if P2 is not in a throwable state, such as state 5120
- This seems intentional but pressing Z up to about 50 pixels away from the enemy makes them dash and throw automatically. That seems like something that should require two inputs. Or maybe you got this whole running throw system from somewhere and it's supposed to be like that, I'm not sure
- Jumping attacks feel a bit weird. Namely the advantage and pushback on hard attacks. See the "Jumping normal attack properties" bit here
- Special moves should have their own landing states rather than going to state 52. I noticed I tried to punish Sailor Moon for using Moon Screw Punch but she blocked instantly upon landing
- Silver Crystal should probably always have the same projectile pattern. Also the first one should probably not be antiair
Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 05:30:41 pm by PotS
#12  February 26, 2024, 04:40:50 pm
- This seems intentional but pressing Z up to about 50 pixels away from the enemy makes them dash and throw automatically. That seems like something that should require two inputs. Or maybe you got this whole running throw system from somewhere and it's supposed to be like that, I'm not sure
Dash-into-throw system is mostly based on Melty Blood: Type Lumina. I like the idea that you can effectively increase the reach of your throw at the cost of it being more risky. Makes throwing less clunky compared to most fighting games.
For my characters it works like this - when you start running you lose control for the first 10 frames. If during this time you get near the opponent, a throw will occur (unless F, F is used to run). I don't think this needs second input because you can't cancel it into anything.

I get the point of other notes, they will be addressed in the next update.

Finally found the problem and why it only occurred in IKEMEN and not MUGEN. Try adding this under [Velocity] in character constants:
Code:
runjump.fwd = 3.5

I will fix this later in update. Thanks for all the feedback!
#13  February 27, 2024, 08:23:51 pm
    • Portugal
I think you overdid the dragon punch invincibilities a bit. They're kind of like old school SF2. The modern SF6 take on them is to make the grounded part invincible against jumping attacks, which I think would fit here. Sailor Moon's EX DP could have more of it. Mercury's EX DP does not need extra invincibility compared to the normal one since she already gets 3 levels of mist from landing it.

I also noticed that light DP's do the same damage and have almost the same invincibility as the hard ones, making the latter not very useful.

Also, this ties to the previous feedback on Clsn boxes but their feet should not be hittable while jumping. I'd probably say the hitboxes are the weakest part of the chars right now to be honest.

Finally found the problem and why it only occurred in IKEMEN and not MUGEN. Try adding this under [Velocity] in character constants:
Code:
runjump.fwd = 3.5

I will fix this later in update. Thanks for all the feedback!
Ah so it's an issue with how the constant defaults in Ikemen. I'll submit a fix later. :thumbsup:
Re: Sailor Moon & Mercury 1.1 (29/02/24)
#14  February 29, 2024, 06:40:27 pm
Update 1.1 has arrived! See the original post for details.
#15  March 08, 2024, 12:45:34 pm
    • Portugal
EDIT: After playing in VS for a bit it feels like they build meter too fast.
There was a bug in Ikemen that made things gain twice as much meter than they were supposed to. Sorry if I induced you in error because of it.