YesNoOk

What ruins a mugen character for you? (Read 99746 times)

Started by luis2345, December 02, 2013, 09:23:47 am
Share this topic:
Re: What ruins a mugen character for you?
#341  July 28, 2016, 08:05:50 pm
  • Seize the coveted miracle in the game of death.
Badly drawn sprites... really gets on my nerves when they have bad edges, shading (pillow shading and such). Also, when the animations are done in a way that makes the characters look robotic... like copy/paste a limb and put that exact same frame in a slightly different position for it to "move", it just looks so bad.

Everyone hates cheap A.Is that are nearly unstoppable, but I also really dislike when the A.I of a character is just a piece of cake to deal with. It just feels like a filler match throughout... even worse when the character is original and very interesting, it's like I'd love to have an engaging fight against this character that looks really cool.

Unblockable supers as well, but only those that aren't done on purpose (and isn't cheap). It's like the A.I does a combo, I block it, then it cancels into super and I can't block the super at all no matter what, it's just really annoying especially when the A.I has a habit of doing such a thing.

Also, not things that "ruins a character" for me because I can fix these by just messing with the files or Fighting Factory, below are just some nitpicks of mine:

-Characters' sprites with a smaller horizontal scale in cns, something like "X scale = 8.3333...", I prefer to have sprites unscaled, so I just change the value(s) to 1.
-Too much damage, someone like Ogre for example is a character I love but god his damage output is insane for someone with long combos like him, had to decrease his general damage so I can stand a chance against him. Also to a lesser extent, when a move does a little too much damage and can be comboed into itself over and over, for example Evil Dan with his air throw: it does insane damage and can link into itself 6 times IIRC, I just had to decrease its value.
-Weird color shadings... something like the edges lacking contrast, a color shade that's supposed to be dark is as bright if not brighter than the lightest shades, or the contrast for the general palette being too low or too high, wrong use of hue for light to darker shades, etc. Quick solution to this is to just open up Fighter Factory and make a better looking palette.
(DeviantART) - Ignore my username on DA as it was made long before I learned what the fanbase was like...
Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 08:25:53 pm by DelusionTrim
#342  July 28, 2016, 08:49:09 pm
  • Strongest Vampire
  • Kyeeh!
    • Puerto Rico
For me, characters that has a one-hit kill at the start of the match irks me. Next would probably those characters with badly-made sprites. Lastly, OP characters that can take out your health under five seconds or even less.
#343  July 29, 2016, 01:09:21 am
  • Hi, I'm a gay Mugen Creator (✿◠‿◠) !
    • Australia
I feel like mugen characters are usually ruined when they have crazy AI, this is why I always create loopholes for my characters when I make my AI :bow:.

- AI characters that blocks too much even if your attack switches from hitting mid to low in one HitDef.
- Fall-recovery near ground no matter what even after the enemy gets almost pulverized by a hyper move
-default AI does this, so that's usually because they dont have AI
-That's the character using the move's fault

And both can be implemented with AI. For example somebody made AI for koopakoot's maylee and all it does is defend but also has annoying AI to beat the hell outta you, and also fall recovery can easily have AI where specific moves like hyper moves cannot cause you to recover during it.

Isabeau Incarnate/Other Candy: Released
Foxy, Isabeau, Aika Toarcreat & Athena Asamiya: Coming Soon...
#344  July 30, 2016, 09:18:43 am
  • Touhou meme mastermind!
    • USA
*Cheap characters (except Rare Akuma, he's hilarious.)
*Sonic recolors (no seriously, they exist.)
*Hentai chars (why)
*Horrible sprites
#345  July 31, 2016, 02:23:10 am
  • What's a title
  • Novice M.U.G.E.N. creator
    • USA
    • sites.google.com/site/rmaster007smugensite/
Characters with hypers that cause the engine to freeze up.
(Looking at you, Shadow Kouma.)
Spriting is harder than I thought.
#346  July 31, 2016, 02:58:35 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
I think that's a "your computer" thing rather than the character's fault.
#347  August 01, 2016, 02:15:10 am
    • Argentina
Oh god, I hate wven there's no hitsounds and hitsparks, I mean I hate the default ones
#348  August 02, 2016, 10:40:23 pm
  • a.k.a DuckSS
    • https://synckmugencentral667.000webhostapp.com/
Only bad coding ruins a mugen character for me. On no matter if character has or has not bad sprites, I'll always try any character which has a great coding (even if the sprites are the worst).
#349  August 04, 2016, 01:10:03 am
  • mirror, mirror...
    • www.poland.pl/
when a char is small like those non-fighting games chars and the creator makes them 2x scale and look pixelated as hell like an atari game...only if the char is HR and biggest sprites like SFTM, MK or HR games is valid resize...like MurakamiMOB or KOF XIII chars...
or when a creator releases 10 chars being the same but unplayable and full of bugs and glitches and even the creator of that not enjoy playing with it..(just watch those oscure SMB chars hosted in MA made by tanicfan22)
-bad sprite swaps or pallette swaps...
-I hate haters and S.o.S chars.....
-time to migrate from winmugen...
#350  August 04, 2016, 02:32:40 am
  • Some Party
    • USA
1) Bad Sprites
2) Individual moves that are waaaay too powerful
3) Only one palette
4) Now that add004 and unotag exist, most characters with built-in strikers (some of them are cool tho)
5) Pandora palettes (who thinks this is a good idea?), although I guess this is fixable
#351  August 07, 2016, 02:14:30 am
  • Manchild who likes pancakes
  • Weeabooism 4 the win
    • USA
Lets say you downloaded a character and you like everything about it except one thing, but that one single thing ruins the whole experience for you.

Level one fullscreens.
Gaining power from supers or EX moves. (why is this so common?)
 And overpowered supers.
My hat is a pancake.
#352  August 07, 2016, 02:56:28 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
#353  August 07, 2016, 03:29:48 am
  • A human that exists sometimes.
    • USA
do the thing
Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 03:39:53 am by Yamori X
#354  August 07, 2016, 04:44:27 am
    • USA
    • hamalto1990@yahoo.com
characters that crashes,fall of stage,infinte animation loop bug
#355  August 07, 2016, 04:51:44 am
  • Super Mario Fighters 3 resurrected.
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
#356  August 07, 2016, 05:00:16 am
  • Vs Style Debuts Tag Project CEO
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA

Probably because you keep downloading shitty characters.
I don't think the power gain thing is something to base calling other chars bad on. It's a little mistake thats as easy to miss as it is to fix.
Also the fact that there people who don't know that supers/hypers aren't supposed to give back the attacker power.
Beware the Dark Wolf once more!
#357  August 07, 2016, 05:05:11 am
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA

Probably because you keep downloading shitty characters.
I don't think the power gain thing is something to base calling other chars bad on. It's a little mistake thats as easy to miss as it is to fix.
Also the fact that there people who don't know that supers/hypers aren't supposed to give back the attacker power.

How?
That's not me being snarky, that is me legitimately asking.  How do you make a character based on a fighting game and not understand how a fighting game works? 
#358  August 07, 2016, 05:06:29 am
  • I hate coding helpers.
    • Brazil
It's far more likely than you think.
#359  August 07, 2016, 05:33:23 am
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
Probably.  I'm just assuming that if you are emulating a genre then you'd be following the common concepts of it.  I know Mugen can do more than just fighting game style movement but I'm assuming we're talking about fighting game characters, and in almost every one with very rare exceptions it's generally a rule that supers don't give you back meter.  I just assumed it was one of those things that was common knowledge like normal attacks not doing chip damage and the low/mid/high system.
#360  August 07, 2016, 05:35:32 am
  • Manchild who likes pancakes
  • Weeabooism 4 the win
    • USA
My hat is a pancake.