YesNoOk

changing 4 buttons characters to 6 buttons (Read 4716 times)

Started by Bastard Mami, April 25, 2013, 08:24:10 pm
Share this topic:
changing 4 buttons characters to 6 buttons
#1  April 25, 2013, 08:24:10 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
this topic is to ask other people/discuss about methods to port 4 button characters (normally kof) to a 6 button scheme (capcom).
for some context:
http://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/4-buttons-vs-6-buttons-fighting-games--149868.0.html

Going by that topic I guess aerial attacks woudl recycle the animation of the ones already there, just chaing timings/damage a little bit.
in the ground the dir + button attacks can be used to fill up the medium attack buttons, if a character does not has enough dir+button attacks, maybe repeating the weak/strong attack like it was done with the aerial attacks is ok ? just to avoid sprite editing.

some dir + button could still be kept as such especially for attacks that are used in combos, especially in teh case of kof characters that have a lot of close strong -> dir + button -> special attack combos.

with special attacks one can just simply do a middle ground in timing / damage/ speed  for the already existing strong and weak specials, or in some cases, go creative, that should not be problematic.

Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 01:13:00 am by maximilianjenus
Re: changin 4 buttons characters to 6 buttons
#2  April 25, 2013, 08:52:35 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Usually when Capcom reuses an animation for Medium and Hard air attacks they change timing and CLSN.

Most KOF characters have an extra attack in the air and ground if you press both hard attacks don't they? And on the ground. I would make that a hard punch or kick depending on what the character uses.

You might get extra air attacks from jumping straight up compared to jumping at an angle. Not sure if KOF does this or not.
And yeah, use dir + attack buttons for air, stand, crouch if applicable.

If you can make a few new basics that'd be really cool.

Obviously omit the KOF specific stuff if we're converting from a different 4 button game :P
#3  April 25, 2013, 11:30:03 pm
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Separating one button's close and far versions also works. I know Capcom did it for Vice, at least, (CvS LK = KOF close LK, CvS MK = KOF far LK), although it wasn't too out of the ordinary as Mature used the same LK as Vice for all distances.
#4  April 26, 2013, 01:10:47 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
yeah, there is that trick too, though it only works for standing attacks. I guess it's still a fair game to keep the close version of certain attacks, but doing the split that way can be very useful for a lot of characters.
Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 01:16:04 am by maximilianjenus
Re: changing 4 buttons characters to 6 buttons
#5  April 26, 2013, 05:16:29 am
The issue would be the crouching attacks since those don't have variations. Also, some characters (Iori, Ash) don't have different air normals for jumping striaght up but those can be made up with CD attacks (Ryo's KoF air CD = CvS air HP). I remember command moves were used for basics too (Terry's KoF backfist command move = HP CvS).
#6  April 26, 2013, 05:38:32 am
    • USA
Crouching attacks can generally get away with reusing the animations from the light variations, I think.

Uno

Re: changing 4 buttons characters to 9 buttons
#7  April 26, 2013, 04:18:35 pm
  • kuruchutchut
    • Philippines
    • www.facebook.com/ronel.alinea
#8  April 26, 2013, 04:47:38 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Crouching attacks can generally get away with reusing the animations from the light variations, I think.

there is also a similarity between juming and crouching attacks which means that with some minor leg editing crouching and aerial attacks can pass for each  other if you are not too picky.

gameplay wise, there is the deal of giving generic medium attacks to character who did not have that specific gameplay option; and example would be the average kof character crouching weak atacks have small-medium range and can't be succesfully cancelled to special attacks in combos, crouching strong kick has range but it trips, while the crouching strong punch is an uppercut type, so it has small range even if it can be cancelled, so a lot of characters don't have long range cancellable/comboable crouching attacks; by giving them generic mid-crouching (like ryu's or chunli's) attacks their gamepaly might change too much a solutino i see there is to make teh medium attacks short range ( so reusing the weak attack animation) or jsut making it not cancellable.

#9  April 29, 2013, 06:02:37 pm
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
Also can be avoided close attacks and use them as new punches and kicks for standing moves, as for air and crouch punches and kicks you can reuse light versions with different time and effect. Sometimes I used this to convert 4-button char in a 6-button one

Not always, in some cases you can use strong kick as medium kick just to change the trip part and make less damage (of course this can't work if the trip kick is like Ryu or Ken)

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#10  April 30, 2013, 02:21:17 am
    • USA
Not always, in some cases you can use strong kick as medium kick just to change the trip part and make less damage (of course this can't work if the trip kick is like Ryu or Ken)
That's why I said "generally". But usually, medium and heavy punches are shared, but I can't recall medium and heavy kicks doing the same off the, at least off the top of my head.
#11  May 26, 2013, 05:09:39 am
    • muscleman@dispostable.com
Add a medium punch and kick to convert 4 buttons to 6 buttons.
My past is not today!
https://media.giphy.com/media/119SFXjoMsax6o/giphy.gif
Your signature is too big, please read the forum rules
#12  May 26, 2013, 05:17:36 am
    • USA

Stop bumping old threads with posts with nothing of significance, please.