YesNoOk

Best and Worst Choices for Rosters (Read 249904 times)

Started by EveryonesKouhai, March 11, 2016, 05:47:09 am
Share this topic:
Re: Best and Worst Choices for Rosters
#221  March 28, 2016, 09:01:31 am
  • Back to the Beginnings
    • https://discord.gg/hnyK7JZ
May as well throw in my 2 cents.

Super Smash Bros for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS

No: Obligatory "Clones".

How come Lucina ,Dr.Mario and Dark Pit got to be separate characters but Alph had to be a costume? They could of given him different Pikmin to use and everything?
Fun fact: According to SourceGaming, who are experts in everything Smash-related, Alph was supossed to be a clone at one point, but there were appearantly problems with implementing the Rock Pikmins in...yep, the fucking 3DS version again, which lead to Alph staying as a clone.

Seriously, I keep on saying that making a 3DS version was a mistake.
===My discord servers===
Unlimited Force HQ: https://discord.gg/hnyK7JZ
Mega Man Megamix Engine Help Server: https://discord.gg/Wjm9GYU

Touhou database (by Ryouchi):
http://mugenfreeforall.com/index.php?/topic/8257-touhou-project/
you are all small and can't grow manly sideburns

lui

#222  March 28, 2016, 09:03:03 am
    • USA
the 3ds version sold extremely well and is a good reason to even pick up a 3ds, idk why the hell you think that is a mistake
#223  March 28, 2016, 11:48:03 am
With how the Wii U sold, it would've been a horrible idea to not make a port for the much more popular 3DS.
#224  March 28, 2016, 11:58:01 am
  • I am become Death, Destroyer of Tiers
    • UK

How come Lucina ,Dr.Mario and Dark Pit got to be separate characters but Alph had to be a costume? They could of given him different Pikmin to use and everything?
Fun fact: According to SourceGaming, who are experts in everything Smash-related, Alph was supossed to be a clone at one point, but there were appearantly problems with implementing the Rock Pikmins in...yep, the fucking 3DS version again, which lead to Alph staying as a clone.

How hard is it to program someone throwing a rock?
Come on Sakurai.

Wanting more people to play their new game/make more money by putting the game onto a console which sells much better is a bad idea? I mean barring Ice Climbers (;_;) and Rock Pikmin, did we lose anything else that justifies not making a 3DS version?
#225  March 28, 2016, 01:52:58 pm
    • Portugal
    • jorge.timtim@hotmail.com

In my opinion "clones" as i dont want to consider those three as separate characters could have been alternative costumes like wario (wario land and wario ware costumes) but with each costume having it's own move (and other) variations, like having two characters sharing the same character slot like akuma (And his shin version) in street fighter alpha 3.
that would save space for more characters
#226  March 28, 2016, 03:54:05 pm
that would save space for more characters
this makes no sense, smash's select screen wasn't limited to a certain amount of slots

you're complaining about clones but want one more clone?
#227  March 28, 2016, 06:35:29 pm
  • I am become Death, Destroyer of Tiers
    • UK
Not complaining about the clones in particular, just how they went about it.
Either make them all clones or costumes. Don't go "oh yeah these 3 people were going to be costumes but we decided to give them their own slots. Except this one fucker for a reason that we'll never explain"

Rock Pikmin aside,  they still could of given Alph a legit moveset.
#228  March 28, 2016, 06:39:33 pm
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
I have to admit, when I found Alph ended up just a color selection for Olimar, I was severely disappointed.  Would have loved that Olimar got Louie and the President instead, and Alph got his own character, with himself, Brittney and Charlie.
#229  March 28, 2016, 11:42:06 pm
    • Netherlands
What would Alph really have added though? I feel like Olimar already captures the general essence of Pikmin and its gameplay really well. And usually it's a pretty bad idea to make clones of the less straightforward fighters anyway since that takes away the uniqueness of their gimmicks.

The main purpose oft he rock pikmin is that they hit harder right? Purple Pikmin already feel that niche in Smash. Plus, the Pink Pikmin have since been added to Olimar's moveset  as the UpB.

Although truth be told at the end of the day I can imagine people would still have wanted Alph as a standalone character since they like him. I just think Olimar felt really complete as the series representation as is, and Alph as a costume was just the icing on the cake.
#230  March 29, 2016, 12:20:43 am
    • USA
I wasn't expecting many similarities between the two beyond the necessity of a keeping your pikmin army maintained.  Rock Pikmin bounce around and off things, so I'd imagine them similar to Dedede's Gordo.  Alph should get the Winged Pikmin, let Olimar keep his pikmin lasso and improve upon it.  Giving Alph some Pikmin 3 move upgrades Olimar missed in 1 and 2 such as ordering the Pikmin to certain places themselves or having them dodge as well would be enough to call for a different character in my eyes.

Plus I just really like Pikmin, would like more of it included in general.  Not so much as Metroid's unsatisfactory showing but much more so than more Fire Emblem,  Or even Pokémon, though I'd take a Gardevoir and/or Gallade with Wally in the background if that's an option.  Though pretty sure that's not happening, every Pokémon in thus far has had some sort of ties to Ash and I'm presuming that's not coincidence.
Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 01:01:51 am by Long John Killer

lui

#231  March 29, 2016, 12:43:44 am
    • USA
Tell me, before people saw that alph was a costume. did anyone ask for him? because the last time i checked nobody even mentioned his name,  dunno why you are all complaining that hes just a costume
#232  March 29, 2016, 01:01:01 am
    • USA
I'm...sure people did, but not like crazy considering there's bigger fish to fry?  I'm complaining that I'd have liked something more for Pikmin, I like the series and I would like a little more rep to it in Smash.  That's it.

I don't think we're going to go riot and burn down Nintendo because Alph's an alt. costume.  Just a little after thought on what would have be nice improvements for the game.
#233  March 29, 2016, 01:51:56 am
  • Super Mario Fighters 3 resurrected.
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
Meh, the less Pikimin stuff, the better to me, I didn't like Pikimin 1 at all...

However, I would totally play both Olimar and Alph, provided Olimar was almost exactly like his Brawl self.

Dr. Mario is REALLY the one who should've been an alt, though. And, I liked him in Melee...
#234  March 29, 2016, 04:16:39 pm
    • Philippines
I have not met a single person who likes T.Hawk outside of his death reset in ST
#235  March 29, 2016, 07:45:47 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
I liked T Hawk in AE.
#236  April 08, 2016, 11:59:54 pm
    • UK
3rd Strike -

Best- Pretty much the whole roster. Next-to-no returning characters aside, you have to give props to Capcom for coming up with that many unique characters after reusing SF2 characters in loads of games. Granted, Q and Remy aren't completely unique, but you get what I mean.

Except...

Worst- Sean and Twelve. Sean because he's ass-tier in that game to the point where he's not even much fun to play around with, and Twelve because... Twelve. The character design and his moveset are pretty cool, but the way he moves and sounds... His crouch-walk makes me feel uncomfortable.

SFIV -

Best- Ryu was kind of meh in SF3, but I really liked his playstyle in 4.

Worst- Abel for being forgettable, El Fuerte for not really fitting in, and T-Hawk. I don't know, by the point that SFIV had over 40 characters, it seemed as if the SSF2 characters, barring Cammy obviously, were just... There. They didn't stand out that much which is a shame because I think Dee Jay's awesome. Also, I'm putting Guile on the list too because after 25 years, he STILL only has two special moves. Let's hope he gets at least one more in SF5.

CvS2 -

Best- The SNK side was pretty top-notch, and you can tell they really went out of their way to make unique versions of most of their characters for that game.

Worst- Whereas Capcom just ripped most of their character sprites from previous games and it looked pretty jarring. Do I even have to mention Morrigan...? I would have found it hilarious if they had used her DS sprite in TvC though. XD
#237  April 09, 2016, 04:41:22 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
Also, I'm putting Guile on the list too because after 25 years, he STILL only has two special moves. Let's hope he gets at least one more in SF5.
That's the entire point of Guile. He doesn't need more than two specials.
#238  April 09, 2016, 05:01:00 am
CvS2 -

Best- The SNK side was pretty top-notch, and you can tell they really went out of their way to make unique versions of most of their characters for that game.

Worst- Whereas Capcom just ripped most of their character sprites from previous games and it looked pretty jarring. Do I even have to mention Morrigan...? I would have found it hilarious if they had used her DS sprite in TvC though. XD
think of it this way: would you rather have new sprites for most of the capcom cast at the cost of having less snk characters overall? they decided to recycle sprites so they could spend that time and money in new spritesets for new characters.

if anything they should've made the snk characters in alpha style so they wouldn't clash as much with the old sprites
#239  April 09, 2016, 05:17:41 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
but that's be the same problem practically, as the alpha style requires more work than the cvs one >.<.
#240  April 09, 2016, 11:05:04 am
  • play more SNK games
  • I FUCKING LOVE PLATINUM!
    • South Africa
    • www.trinitymugen.net/
If they made the snk characters in alpha style, then every crossover game involving capcom would look the same