YesNoOk

Art of Fury 2 : Ultimate Garou (Read 10033 times)

Started by CCIronmugen, January 04, 2024, 09:53:43 pm
Share this topic:
Art of Fury 2 : Ultimate Garou
#1  January 04, 2024, 09:53:43 pm
  • Jurassic creator
  • You ain't nothing but a hound dog
    • iron-mugen.one

Hi there!

After putting an end to the AOFF:zero project (too much work, little time) I came back to an old project I started back in 2006 (or something like this). The project was named back then "Ultimate Garou : Conquer your dreams". It featured Terry as the main character with few non Fatal Fury/Art of fighting SNK characters like Kyo Kusanagi.
Then, I got that disk crash that made me cancel everything. I lost some characters' work files and it was kind of a pain in the *** to continue working on the project without them files.

Then I made the other project which was focused on Fatal Fury and Art of Fighting characters only : Art of Fury (available, but needs a small update). The endings I did for the game was meant to connect AofF and the sequel. Then came the idea to use my first project UG and change it into AofF2 : more FF/AOF characters but the same story with few non FF/AOF characters and 2 non SNK guests.

So here I am, to present you a playable demo of the game.
It includes 6 playable characters, their stages and musics and a "bad" ending (the same for all 6 characters).

DOWNLOAD THE DEMO
https://iron-mugen.one/AOFF2/AOFF2_demo.rar

Alternate link : https://www.mediafire.com/file/rkdk90ay68mt02l/AOFF2_demo.rar/file

The Facebook page of the game (with a lot of spoilers):

https://www.facebook.com/artoffury
Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 08:05:04 am by CCIronmugen
Re: Art of Fury 2 : Ultimate Garou
#2  January 04, 2024, 11:21:59 pm
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
As someone who loved your original Art of fury game, Im definitely testing this out.
-STREET FIGHTER VI WAITING ROOM-
-DRAGON QUEST XII WAITING ROOM-
#3  January 05, 2024, 12:43:29 am
    • Brazil
Wait a second... you're alive?
#4  January 05, 2024, 12:49:46 am
  • ¡Ni p*ta ni santa! ¡Digo!
¡Deu cagat, quina cosa més bona!

Awesome work as always, Iron!!
I swear there was something cool here!!
#5  January 05, 2024, 01:47:24 am
    • Brazil
May I ask you to upload this somewhere else... like... MediaFire? For some reason, trying to download from that link always leads to an interruption in the middle and I have to download it over again.
#6  January 05, 2024, 08:06:49 am
  • Jurassic creator
    • iron-mugen.one
As someone who loved your original Art of fury game, Im definitely testing this out.

Thank you! Hope you'll like the demo. =)

I'm pretty active on my facebook page actually :P But I rarely come here.

Thank you =)

May I ask you to upload this somewhere else... like... MediaFire? For some reason, trying to download from that link always leads to an interruption in the middle and I have to download it over again.

Sure! Added an alternate link in the first post.
#7  January 05, 2024, 09:44:22 am
  • Stages & Screen Pack
  • Mugen Creator
    • USA
    • https://jusmugen.forumotion.com/

Thank you! Hope you'll like the demo. =)

I'm pretty active on my facebook page actually :P But I rarely come here.

Thank you =)

Sure! Added an alternate link in the first post.
hey long time no see and text. if you ever have any interest in converting this to Ikemen go and need help please me know buddy. I be always glad to help you out, your games always been refreshing and fun to play.

Join My JUSMUGEN Community.
https://jusmugen.forumotion.com/

ExL

#8  January 05, 2024, 11:01:13 am
  • 1-800-SUICIDE
I loved Art of Fury too! (why past tense though? I still do, It hadn't became less good with time)
So of course I grabbed this demo on sight.
While it plays less unique compared to Art of Fury, I like it too.
And I've encountered first bug with Clara(that's unexpected char, BTW). In a mirror match in arcade I've managed to land Stardust revolution 21 as finishing blow - enemy Clara froze in falling animation and mine stopped until transformation in her win animation occurred.
"Where greyness prevails, the black always take the power." (c) "Its Hard to be God" - brothers Strugatskie.
#9  January 05, 2024, 01:16:59 pm
  • Stages & Screen Pack
  • Mugen Creator
    • USA
    • https://jusmugen.forumotion.com/
I also made a promo video for your demo game let me know if you want the video resource and I will send your way :D
Join My JUSMUGEN Community.
https://jusmugen.forumotion.com/
Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 01:20:44 pm by OldGamer
#10  January 05, 2024, 11:37:48 pm
    • Brazil
Thank you for the link!
#11  January 07, 2024, 11:19:08 am
    • Portugal
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/
Always nice to see familiar names. I did an arcade run with Yuri and tried everyone in training mode. I like how everyone has some new toys. Impressions:

ALL:
- The movelist doesn't mention the system mechanics
- There could be a counter message since it gives you special hit properties
- Game inherits Mugen's "mash to wake up faster" mechanic
- Some chars can crouch walk but not others. Maybe it's a WIP thing?
- The base and park stages have the char shadows going over the people and crates
- Could use throw teching?
- There's something about the inputs that make it easy to get a special out when you drop a super input. Like the specials are more lenient than the supers
- The meter should probably go to zero in each round. Currently it feels like chars *always* have meter. Another thing is you can only guard cancel with meter but you don't gain meter by blocking/getting hit. Just something feels off about it
- Invincibility in Lv2 supers is a bit inconsistent

YURI:
- F command normals come out even if you're holding DF. Makes crouch walk into 2 lights hard to do for instance
- Light Saiha seems like a superb antiair. Probably more so than intended
- Light Saiha seems a lot better than the hard one. Faster, safer, more range. Hard one gives you the juggle but it's a lot harder to land it
- Light Raiouken is very unsafe on hit if not spaced. And when spaced it's just slow
- Light Hyakuretsu Ken is also unsafe on hit
- Jumping CD hitbox doesn't match the animation. Like you changed the animation but kept the box
- Same with neutral jump A

TERRY:
- His grab super is an option select, which is unfair compared to the other chars. I mean it only comes out if you're in the right place
- Power Charge doesn't seem to have much going for it
- Not fond of Round Wave having to be blocked low. Random knowledge check there
- He yells "Geyser" a bit too soon
- Could probably use a better instance of the Buster Wolf quote. I mean he only pronounces half of it in this one

CLARA:
- Upper attack has a lot of horizontal range for its kind

YAMAZAKI:
- Suna Kake is unsafe on hit (barely)
- For some reason I can't get his 360 out even though I usually have no trouble doing them. Only tried keyboard yet though
- Z palette is a bit too dark. Especially in the night base stage

JOHN:
- He has "old" standing A priority unlike the other chars
- Nuclear Crush is cool

I'm not familiar with every iteration these chars had over the years so maybe some of these are intentional.
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
My Mugen and Ikemen content can also be found here.
#12  January 07, 2024, 04:12:27 pm
    • USA
    • Skype - Uche1234@hotmail.com
AOFF continues?!
#13  January 07, 2024, 06:02:11 pm
  • Jurassic creator
    • iron-mugen.one
hey long time no see and text. if you ever have any interest in converting this to Ikemen go and need help please me know buddy. I be always glad to help you out, your games always been refreshing and fun to play.

Hey man thank you!
Well, I could have used Ikemen for many stuff I'm going to add in this game... But I have little time so I prefer staying on the stuff I know how to do, like the special select screen or the cutscenes I'll add before the bosses.

Now, if after the release you want to make an Ikemen version like Orochi_Kyo did for AOFF1, I'm okay with it. =)

Also thanks for the video! I'll probably ask your help later to make a longer one for the release day (tba).

I loved Art of Fury too! (why past tense though? I still do, It hadn't became less good with time)
So of course I grabbed this demo on sight.
While it plays less unique compared to Art of Fury, I like it too.
And I've encountered first bug with Clara(that's unexpected char, BTW). In a mirror match in arcade I've managed to land Stardust revolution 21 as finishing blow - enemy Clara froze in falling animation and mine stopped until transformation in her win animation occurred.

Thanks man. Yeah, I wanted to go back to a simple KOF gameplay even simpler than the original intended UG.

As for the bug, I just tried it in VS mode : it happens if the opponent blocks the attack. Thanks for pointing this out.

Always nice to see familiar names. I did an arcade run with Yuri and tried everyone in training mode. I like how everyone has some new toys.

Thanks for the feedbacks. I'll check them right now and respond in another post. =)
#14  January 07, 2024, 06:40:32 pm
  • Jurassic creator
    • iron-mugen.one
ALL:
- The movelist doesn't mention the system mechanics

TBH That was a rushed release. The initial plan was to release the full game on 22nd of December for Fatal Fury Special's 30th AES release anniversary but lot of IRL stuff slowed me down and I was almost not gonna even release the demo. (see how the bad ending is rushed af xD)

- There could be a counter message since it gives you special hit properties

True. Not to mention I had it in the original UG game. Got to add it. Thanks!

I always looked for a way to remove this thing and I never found it. Is it removable?

Only few characters can do it. Mainly Fatal Fury characters. Like the corner double jump for Mai. Details will be given in the full game release.

- The base and park stages have the char shadows going over the people and crates

I didn't think that was problematic. Any suggestion?

?

- There's something about the inputs that make it easy to get a special out when you drop a super input. Like the specials are more lenient than the supers

I never had problems with it playing with both keyboard and the Steam Deck's controller. Any character in particular?

- The meter should probably go to zero in each round. Currently it feels like chars *always* have meter. Another thing is you can only guard cancel with meter but you don't gain meter by blocking/getting hit. Just something feels off about it

Yeah, only special moves can give meter to both P1 and P2 as opposed to AOFF1 where specials used to consume meter.
Now that I think about it, I should maybe put back the "taunt to decrease P2 meter" system I used in AOFF1 (taken from AOF and earlier KOF).

- Invincibility in Lv2 supers is a bit inconsistent

Yep, depends on characters.

YURI:
- F command normals come out even if you're holding DF. Makes crouch walk into 2 lights hard to do for instance

Whoops. Taking notes, thanks!

- Light Raiouken is very unsafe on hit if not spaced. And when spaced it's just slow
- Light Hyakuretsu Ken is also unsafe on hit
- Jumping CD hitbox doesn't match the animation. Like you changed the animation but kept the box
- Same with neutral jump A

- Taking note
- For both CLSN I don't know what I did here haha. Taking note!

TERRY:
- His grab super is an option select, which is unfair compared to the other chars. I mean it only comes out if you're in the right place

I didn't get it.
Is it about his Wind Attack?
It's supposed to work like any other super throw except that it has great range (like Krauser in RBS).

- Power Charge doesn't seem to have much going for it
- Not fond of Round Wave having to be blocked low. Random knowledge check there
- He yells "Geyser" a bit too soon
- Could probably use a better instance of the Buster Wolf quote. I mean he only pronounces half of it in this one

- Just a combo special like in KOF99
- Round wave is in fact pretty useless in a KOF-like system because it's supposed to be slower. I have made it that way for some mind game.
- I tried to put the sound few ticks after but it sounds horrible.
- "Bust... wolf" ? I used the original scream from Garou MOTW. Personal fav. :P

CLARA:

The standing normal attacks?

YAMAZAKI:
- Suna Kake is unsafe on hit (barely)
- For some reason I can't get his 360 out even though I usually have no trouble doing them. Only tried keyboard yet though
- Z palette is a bit too dark. Especially in the night base stage

- taking note
- I'm also using keyboard for testing. I have no troubles. Same with Steam Deck controller.
- I think I'm just going to redo most of the palettes. I took them from my old Yamazaki (regular MUGEN) and they indeed look aweful and/or repetitive.

JOHN:
- He has "old" standing A priority unlike the other chars
- Nuclear Crush is cool

- Checked the CLSN and it looks like I forgot to add some CLSN2 to the arm. Same thing on standing C.
- Thanks. The startup is taken from the SNES version of Art of Fighting 1 where they added DMs to the other characters outside of Ryobert. The ending was something I always wanted to add to this character. =)

Thanks again for the feedback.

Later on, if you got a little time I'd like to ask you for a beta test of the full game please. Once I'm done with the whole cast of course. Hopefully I'll have more time until mid February to finish (almost) everything.
#15  January 07, 2024, 06:51:11 pm

Terry defeats Clara with a Power Dunk while she's defending. She remains stuck there.
#16  January 07, 2024, 08:11:30 pm
  • Jurassic creator
    • iron-mugen.one

Terry defeats Clara with a Power Dunk while she's defending. She remains stuck there.

Wow, it looks like Clara really has some issues with KO while blocking. Thanks for the report!
#17  January 08, 2024, 12:38:22 am
  • Formerly known as HyperClawManiac
  • Competitive MUGEN when?
    • UK
    • sites.google.com/view/ragingrowen/home
Gave this a shot today.
I'm digging the FF3-esque select screen, and the more dramatic, explosive FX like what's in the Real Bout games. It gives it an overall aesthetic that's less KOF-like but still feels authentic as a Neo-Geo-style game.
I'm also fond of some of the supers, like the addition of Wild Ambition P-Powers and some cool original moves like Sabaki da zo!, Nuclear Crush, and the Super Clara super.

Some things I noticed include:
1. Yuri and John have their DPs as F,D,F as opposed to F,D,DF (RDP in the case of John)
2. Double Half Circle commands seem pretty strict, but that's probably a me thing.
3. Yamazaki's tapping required for the max level Drill could be lessened a tiny bit.
4. On the topic of Yamazaki, you can also go through him if he's lying facedown.
5. John plays KOF superpause sounds unlike the other chars.

I'd critique the lack of AI, but I'm sure that will be attended to at a later date.

I had more feedback, but I lost it by accident.
I'm liking it so far. Shows that you've still got it after 2 decades (or so).
WIP Schedule:
The next Street Fighter All-Stars update
#18  January 08, 2024, 04:30:34 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
To remove the stupid mash to get up thing do this

Replace state 5100

Code:
;===========================================================================
; HIT_BOUNCE (hit ground) - redirect
[Statedef 5100]
type    = L
movetype= H
physics = N

[State 5100]
type = ChangeState
trigger1 = !Time
value = 5102

Place the code in 5102

Now replace 5110
Code:
; HIT_LIEDOWN - redirect
[Statedef 5110]
type    = L
movetype= H
physics = N

[State 0, ChangeState]
type = ChangeState
trigger1 = !Time
value = 5111

Move the old 5110 code to 5111

No more mash to get up fast!
#19  January 08, 2024, 11:39:36 am
    • Portugal
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/
I always looked for a way to remove this thing and I never found it. Is it removable?
Just change the state numbers like JNP said. It's hardcoded to happen specifically in state 5110 I think.

Only few characters can do it. Mainly Fatal Fury characters. Like the corner double jump for Mai. Details will be given in the full game release.
It's probably going to end up weird if like half the chars can do it and the other half cannot.

I didn't think that was problematic. Any suggestion?
Just flip the shadow direction I guess. Or give them a fade range.

?
When you input a throw while getting thrown to escape it.

I never had problems with it playing with both keyboard and the Steam Deck's controller. Any character in particular?
For instance if I somehow drop Haou Shoukouken I'll always get Hyakuretsu Ken. Probably me not being used to SNK inputs.

Now that I think about it, I should maybe put back the "taunt to decrease P2 meter" system I used in AOFF1 (taken from AOF and earlier KOF).
Yeah. I think that system works great when chars can also manually charge meter.

TERRY:
I didn't get it.
Is it about his Wind Attack?
It's supposed to work like any other super throw except that it has great range (like Krauser in RBS).
Nevermind this one. My mistake. I was under the impression the move only came out at close range for some reason, but I just checked and that's not the case.

CLARA:
The standing normal attacks?
The command one.

- I'm also using keyboard for testing. I have no troubles. Same with Steam Deck controller.
I figured it out. It's that I always do 360 motions ending in the up direction, and you don't allow chars to interrupt state 40 with special/super moves, which makes it impossible to do in neutral.

Later on, if you got a little time I'd like to ask you for a beta test of the full game please. Once I'm done with the whole cast of course. Hopefully I'll have more time until mid February to finish (almost) everything.
I can't make any promises but I wouldn't mind giving it a quick spin like this beta, yeah.
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
My Mugen and Ikemen content can also be found here.
#20  January 13, 2024, 07:13:13 pm
  • Jurassic creator
    • iron-mugen.one
Gave this a shot today.
I'm digging the FF3-esque select screen, and the more dramatic, explosive FX like what's in the Real Bout games. It gives it an overall aesthetic that's less KOF-like but still feels authentic as a Neo-Geo-style game.
I'm also fond of some of the supers, like the addition of Wild Ambition P-Powers and some cool original moves like Sabaki da zo!, Nuclear Crush, and the Super Clara super.

Some things I noticed include:
1. Yuri and John have their DPs as F,D,F as opposed to F,D,DF (RDP in the case of John)
2. Double Half Circle commands seem pretty strict, but that's probably a me thing.
3. Yamazaki's tapping required for the max level Drill could be lessened a tiny bit.
4. On the topic of Yamazaki, you can also go through him if he's lying facedown.
5. John plays KOF superpause sounds unlike the other chars.

I'd critique the lack of AI, but I'm sure that will be attended to at a later date.

I had more feedback, but I lost it by accident.
I'm liking it so far. Shows that you've still got it after 2 decades (or so).

Thanks for taking the time to give it a try. =)

1. Whoops! Gonna check and correct this!
2. Maybe the timing is too short. I'll check this out too.
3. Both punches can be used and it can come out pretty fast if done right. Though it's not supposed to be that easy to do. ;)
4. Oh. Probably forgot some CLSN. Checking!
5. Yeah, John's SND file is totally outdated. I just took it from Art of Fury 1. I'm supposed to remake it and even record voices myself.

Yeah, AIs are for the pre-final version.

Thanks =)

To remove the stupid mash to get up thing do this

Replace state 5100

Many many many and manly thanks!

It's probably going to end up weird if like half the chars can do it and the other half cannot.

Well, that's like the wall-jump thing after all.
And it was also done in Kof94 and 95 (can't remember if Billy could, but the FF chars that come from Kof94 could).

Just flip the shadow direction I guess. Or give them a fade range.

Gotcha

When you input a throw while getting thrown to escape it.

Ah! No, it's a KOF thing I didn't want to include.

For instance if I somehow drop Haou Shoukouken I'll always get Hyakuretsu Ken. Probably me not being used to SNK inputs.

I'll double check it then.

I figured it out. It's that I always do 360 motions ending in the up direction, and you don't allow chars to interrupt state 40 with special/super moves, which makes it impossible to do in neutral.

Oh. I thought I did. I'll double check it too!

I can't make any promises but I wouldn't mind giving it a quick spin like this beta, yeah.

Thank you! And even if you can't, thanks for taking the time on the demo version. =)