YesNoOk

Unpopular Opinions we have (Non-Political) (Read 273135 times)

Started by Dumanios, September 06, 2016, 07:34:31 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Unpopular Opinions we have (Non-Political)
#421  April 30, 2018, 07:50:59 pm
  • Thanks and God bless
    • USA
    • ricepigeon.neocities.org
I didn't mind the schema mechanic from LR too much, though I won't disagree that it was the perfect opportunity for them to insert blatant fanservice (I'm looking at you Miqo'te dress). I suppose you could blame the whole reversion of Hope's personality on him being manipulated as part of the plot, same with Lightning as well, though the explanation for Lightning's was made much more explicit.

I won't lie that the lore of the Lightning trilogy's world was hella thought out, but I do wish more of it was made explicit through actually playing the game's story instead of having to rely on the lore option in the main menu or outside novella that were only Japan-exclusive (Snow's backstory involving Cactaur and Alyssa's failed assassination attempt on Hope inside Augusta Tower being the two biggest offenders here).
Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 08:00:34 pm by Ricepigeon
#422  April 30, 2018, 08:15:45 pm
  • (´ー`)ノ
she has no ass so all those suits go to waste
#423  April 30, 2018, 08:24:37 pm
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Ok, see, I'm on the other side of the fence; the fanservice tied to the whole outfit per role totally sucked any enthusiasm I had to play the game's combat, because it's literally just tied to the fact that God has a hard-on for Lightning and she's clearly not into it, but we're just rolling with it.  And so many of them were downright stupid in the low end of Final Fantasy design rating board.  Freaking cat costumes or that split mini-skirt default one.  And when they weren't shoving the sexy outfits as mandatory, then you got weird inclusions like Bruce Lee's yellow jumpsuit.

This is something that works with a series like Bayonetta or at least a character that's less rigid like Lightning, but you make this a part of the story, then you just get a mishmash of her giving personal speeches with OoC lewd posing and moaning.  For the select few times the dress-up thing worked to their advantage, like the whole quest with that dress, the rest of the game is staring you in the face being off.  This is not even including the whole locked moves to each outfit, so you're level of customization was hampered by this limitation.  At least you could circumvent this whole issue with using the outfits from the previous games if you've played them that have flat base values all around and nothing locked to it, but having to rely on bonuses not normally present in the game just to make full use of the combat in the game is poor game design.

...Though I will give it this, having Lightning as Cloud was amusing.  And having those past outfits at all was nice.  Kind of a shame that they completely removed the fact they're gunblades and ever since then when she shows up they no longer are, but hey.
#424  May 02, 2018, 03:55:36 pm
  • Super Mario Fighters 3 resurrected.
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
Horror games are an awful genre. Slow and weak protagonists, generally has no replay value outside of Silent Hill's multiple endings, stories plagued with too many plotholes, generally boring gameplay. I don't understand how this became a genre at all. They might as well write a book. I personally think Silent Hill is overrated as all hell. The SpongeBob Movie Game scares me more than any game in the series.

Younger: I love Pocket Fighter and Gem Fighter blah blah blah. Now: They're both obnoxious, extremely random, pointless, absurdly crpytic, poorly translated games. Out of all the games to not make it to America, these games should have been two of them. Pocket Fighter has way too much shit that is not explained at all and still confuses me to this day. Smash Bros. did the whole "wacky Japanese atmosphere fighter" much better, while keeping it much friendlier to Western cultures, barring Smash 4's nonsense. Power Instinct did if Smash isn't "legit" enough then. (Note: Has extreme bias against SD graphics/art)

Pac-Man World is like a proto Mario Odyssey in a sense. Put an iconic character into large, but not quite fully open worlds, give them new moves based on what they used to do, with some modern twists, have the classic bad guys, but add new antagonists... World 1 and 2 have far better soundtracks than Odyssey though.
Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 03:59:11 pm by MR. IBZS II
#425  May 02, 2018, 04:09:57 pm
I don't understand how this became a genre at all. They might as well write a book.
It's for the immersion, creepy is more effective if you actually see it than with words. As for replay value, other games do multiple endings too, like... what was it called ? With the cannibal creatures from Native American folklore. The wendigos in Until Dawn, was it ? Resident Evil does it too, plus RE always has the challenge bait of finishing the game faster, using less bullets or no bullet at all doing everything with the knife, etc. And those games always play on multiple endings to see the full picture of "what really happened".
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#426  May 02, 2018, 04:15:51 pm
  • Cute Bounty Hunter
Pocket Fighter and Gem Fighter are the same game.  Do you consider Japanese versions and English versions as separate games, which would kinda be like thinking that B.B.Hood and Bulleta are two separate characters?

Or did you mistake Gem Fighter for Puzzle Fighter?
#427  May 02, 2018, 04:16:21 pm
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
Mistook it for Puzzle Fighter.

Used to think they were different, too.

DW

#428  May 02, 2018, 04:16:42 pm
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
Fortnite isn't fun.
Pineapple is good on pizza.

-It's not.

-It is. Oddly enough I got it on a pizza on accident once, and instead of taking it back cuz I was tired(and hungry), I just ate it. Was surprisingly good. Not too many of them, but it adds a nice sweetness to the tangy marinara sauce and salt(y) cheese/meat.
#429  May 02, 2018, 04:19:56 pm
Mistook it for Puzzle Fighter.
Oh, Puzzle Fighter ? Isn't that almost literally Tetris and Candy Crush ? I didn't play the smartphone version but I don't see how complex it might have gotten (then again I never played Candy Crush either), I was sure the characters doing the fighting were basically nothing but eye candy reacting to your success in the Tetris part.
Pocket Fighter I just really don't see what's cryptic about it. Pick up gems to power up your moves and hit things.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 04:23:28 pm by Byakko
#430  May 02, 2018, 04:52:36 pm
    • USA
    • morbidjoe666@yahoo.com
    • Skype - Kik : morbidjoe
Horror games are an awful genre. Slow and weak protagonists, generally has no replay value outside of Silent Hill's multiple endings, stories plagued with too many plotholes, generally boring gameplay. I don't understand how this became a genre at all. They might as well write a book. I personally think Silent Hill is overrated as all hell. The SpongeBob Movie Game scares me more than any game in the series.

Silent hill is personally my favorite game series i enjoy horror games mostly though the second outlast game was crap hated the ending, the spongebob movie game was scary?
I need more PSN friends
#431  May 02, 2018, 05:29:10 pm
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
Puzzle Fighter is more Puyo Puyo than anything else. There's some strange mechanic depending on who you choose, apparently Chun-Li is top tier again...

It's a reference to how the Monster Trench level used to scare me as a kid.
#432  May 02, 2018, 06:54:27 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Pocket Fighter and Gem Fighter are the same game.  Do you consider Japanese versions and English versions as separate games, which would kinda be like thinking that B.B.Hood and Bulleta are two separate characters?

I read the thread too fast, so I thought this was your unpopular opinion for a moment there.

Oh, Puzzle Fighter ? Isn't that almost literally Tetris and Candy Crush ? I didn't play the smartphone version but I don't see how complex it might have gotten (then again I never played Candy Crush either), I was sure the characters doing the fighting were basically nothing but eye candy reacting to your success in the Tetris part.
Pocket Fighter I just really don't see what's cryptic about it. Pick up gems to power up your moves and hit things.

Nope, the characters different gem drop balance. I am not sure if the punishments also varies; but the probability distributon of which gems drop chagnes depending on the character you choose and dan is low tier, he gets too much of the same color,, iirc.
Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 01:27:57 am by Bastard Mami
#433  May 02, 2018, 09:04:59 pm
  • Pixels are atom's of resolution,Low-res or Hi-res
    • Turkey
    • metekervan26@gmail.com
Vyns Terry iss more POTS than some of current realeases today
#434  May 05, 2018, 11:43:12 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
Stardust Crusaders is grossly overrated.
#435  May 11, 2018, 10:32:14 pm
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
All of Jojo is. Except Hol he's epic

High level Mortal Kombat 3 and Ultimate is much more interesting to watch than any high level Street Fighter to this day. Argubaly Tekken as well.

SNK Gals looks like garbage. I have work tonight, I can't write the reasons... DoA is just a shitty Tekken mod too.

Sonic should have been a failed and dead franchise after 3D Blast or Labyrinth. If not that, Adventure. If not that, 06. If not that, the Storybook series. If not that, Boom. If not that, Forces, and so on...

I never did understand the hype around Castlevania. Never really appealed to me.
Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 05:06:08 am by MR. IBZS II
#436  May 15, 2018, 04:40:11 pm
there's a hype for castlevania? it's a good game but not that good.
#437  May 15, 2018, 04:41:59 pm
It was big in the 90's but it varied a lot from country to country. It was well known in France but I don't remember it being as popular as in the US.
It was a good platformer in the era of platformers, after all.
#438  May 15, 2018, 04:57:23 pm
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
It had a similar level of hype to its other half of the genre prior to Metroid Prime in my experience, in that they were amazing games that were just around at a time where more crowd-pleasing games were around and easier to sell that were also of similar quality.

They were around, those that played them certainly enjoyed them and spread the word, but it was in a different league competing against bigger mascots.  Better than a hidden gem, but not at the level of being a console seller.
#439  May 15, 2018, 07:27:50 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
Castlevania Symphony of the Night hasn't aged well.

Equipping and using items feels clunky, the boss battles come out of the blue and more often than not they don't protect anything, the learning curve is all over place, the good ending requirements are misleading and suffering an early game stat penalty for not playing right as Richter (whom the player barely had the chance to try before battling Dracula) is ridiculous.
#440  May 15, 2018, 08:16:53 pm
  • Prince of Latis
  • Destroy the Core!
    • Canada
    • Skype - Whiplash-1
Smash Bros. did the whole "wacky Japanese atmosphere fighter" much better, while keeping it much friendlier to Western cultures, barring Smash 4's nonsense.

what the heck are you talking about here??? can you elaborate about how smash 4 has a "Japanese atmosphere"?