YesNoOk

I got a C&D mail from Interplay... (Read 98918 times)

Started by Basara Lapis, September 05, 2023, 02:25:51 am
Share this topic:
Re: I got a C&D mail from Interplay...
#21  September 08, 2023, 05:03:10 pm
    • USA
#22  September 08, 2023, 09:50:59 pm
  • Is a joke
    • USA
    • Genosan94@gmail.com
Guys, I need your guidance about this since I don't know what to do... I wanted to necro/revive this 10+yo thread about this issue and/or mention this in the CF Revival thread I made, but I think a new thread here is the proper way to follow to say this.

Most of you know about ClayFighter: Infinite Clayfare, my personal fullgame project which is the compilation of all my work I made for MUGEN until now. I thought I won't be noticed by Interplay, but now I know I did... but not the way I would liked to. Checking my Gmail yesterday (mostly cleaning mails) I found this one from Interplay's lawyer Christopher Nelson:
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
As you can read, it's a Cease and Desist about my fullgame and all related to ClayFighter (included a direct link to my site apart of the CF page I made for IC). The mail is from July 18th and I just saw it yesterday, and meanwhile I continued with the promotion and even released the Beta 2 in August.

You all know that MUGEN itself and all content on it is marked as non-profittable, so I couldn't use it to get money, it if I could do it (like passing the game to IKEMEN for example) I won't do it anyway since I love this game series. But seems that Interplay guys are just businessmen that just want money and don't care about videogames anymore: I can't ignore a mail like this, but either I want to answer with something that I'd regret later (I'm so angry with all of this BTW), especially because the same guy was the one behind the cancellation of ClayFighter: ReSculpted, another CF fangame. And maybe he doesn't know about MUGEN, so yeah, I could stop my game and delete all the promotion and the twitter (maybe I could rename it as @basara.kun as my MUGEN general account), but he could think that I could continue when he see my chars and the others from MUGEN and not just made by me... since he linked me Ultra ClayFighter, a romhack not made by me.

I want to delete the mail and continue as nothing happens... but what about he and Interplay really make legal actions?? I mean, I'm from Chile, technically they can't do nothing, but there's a precedent here about "Miel Gibson" case (a small honey maker that has a wordplay between "miel", honey in Spanish, and the actor, whose laywers threatened them), so I'm not sure if I'm safe here...

tl;dr Interplay wants to make legal actions about my game and I need your help, guidance and/or opinions about what to do in this case... maybe about how to make a mail clarifying about I don't have intentions of use their properties in a bad way but as a way of fanart. I read you, people...

I'm so sorry to hear that.
#23  September 08, 2023, 10:44:23 pm
    • USA
Guys, I need your guidance about this since I don't know what to do... I wanted to necro/revive this 10+yo thread about this issue and/or mention this in the CF Revival thread I made, but I think a new thread here is the proper way to follow to say this.

Most of you know about ClayFighter: Infinite Clayfare, my personal fullgame project which is the compilation of all my work I made for MUGEN until now. I thought I won't be noticed by Interplay, but now I know I did... but not the way I would liked to. Checking my Gmail yesterday (mostly cleaning mails) I found this one from Interplay's lawyer Christopher Nelson:
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
As you can read, it's a Cease and Desist about my fullgame and all related to ClayFighter (included a direct link to my site apart of the CF page I made for IC). The mail is from July 18th and I just saw it yesterday, and meanwhile I continued with the promotion and even released the Beta 2 in August.

You all know that MUGEN itself and all content on it is marked as non-profittable, so I couldn't use it to get money, it if I could do it (like passing the game to IKEMEN for example) I won't do it anyway since I love this game series. But seems that Interplay guys are just businessmen that just want money and don't care about videogames anymore: I can't ignore a mail like this, but either I want to answer with something that I'd regret later (I'm so angry with all of this BTW), especially because the same guy was the one behind the cancellation of ClayFighter: ReSculpted, another CF fangame. And maybe he doesn't know about MUGEN, so yeah, I could stop my game and delete all the promotion and the twitter (maybe I could rename it as @basara.kun as my MUGEN general account), but he could think that I could continue when he see my chars and the others from MUGEN and not just made by me... since he linked me Ultra ClayFighter, a romhack not made by me.

I want to delete the mail and continue as nothing happens... but what about he and Interplay really make legal actions?? I mean, I'm from Chile, technically they can't do nothing, but there's a precedent here about "Miel Gibson" case (a small honey maker that has a wordplay between "miel", honey in Spanish, and the actor, whose laywers threatened them), so I'm not sure if I'm safe here...

tl;dr Interplay wants to make legal actions about my game and I need your help, guidance and/or opinions about what to do in this case... maybe about how to make a mail clarifying about I don't have intentions of use their properties in a bad way but as a way of fanart. I read you, people...

I'm so sorry to hear that.

Am i the only one who's just fucking pissed off now? since I feel like He should man up and tell that lawyer to go fuck himself
#24  September 08, 2023, 11:11:15 pm
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
I'm pissed too, but that's not the way to do things, I've been guided by fellow Guild members on Discord to do what I've to do, and one of them is to wait an official answer from Interplay about my issue... or that they responds publicly since the spread of the word on Twitter and some VG news sites

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#25  September 08, 2023, 11:32:41 pm
  • "I'm Bal... I'm Veg...*Sigh* Just call me 'Claw'."
I'm pissed too, but that's not the way to do things, I've been guided by fellow Guild members on Discord to do what I've to do, and one of them is to wait an official answer from Interplay about my issue... or that they responds publicly since the spread of the word on Twitter and some VG news sites

Since the answer has been given, the best option now is to wait for a response.
I still believe that the best way to solve this was to get a lawyer.
Most are bullies by nature, taking advantage that many people have no idea what are their rights.
Most change their 'threats' when facing another lawyer.
If money is the issue, some lawyers do not charge at the first consultation, or the consultation is at a low price.

"Remember kids; Curiosity created MUGEN!"

Check Out Cammy-Delta-Red-Development HERE
#26  September 09, 2023, 12:09:53 am
    • USA

Since the answer has been given, the best option now is to wait for a response.
I still believe that the best way to solve this was to get a lawyer.
Most are bullies by nature, taking advantage that many people have no idea what are their rights.
Most change their 'threats' when facing another lawyer.
If money is the issue, some lawyers do not charge at the first consultation, or the consultation is at a low price.

I agree with that option.
#27  September 09, 2023, 10:14:25 pm
  • Did I hear something about a scooby snack?
    • USA
    • squidlypoli1.neocities.org
Putting this in the thread that's actually about the C&D because I don't want his other clayfighter thread to get derailed
Be an Centrlist man and do what the fallout onlline dev once did threaten the lawyer

You know almost everyone is pissed off now. Im just expressing my anger. Had you man up yet now against interplay yet?

Ah yes this is definitely sane, rational, reasonable behavior that would have no consequences whatsoever.

Still, Im angry at interplay, others are angry at interplay, basakun is angry at interplay and you should be angry at interplay also. So why you going against the centralist route?

I'm not happy about them doing this either but I don't think I'd get this worked up over it. Threatening the lawyer like the fallout online guy (???) is only going to make matters worse and will probably wind up in a lawsuit, and we still don't have a response from Interplay themselves yet so for a while it's going to be really hard to judge how the situation will end. I think Basara may be taking the most reasonable response by halting development after he finishes up Dr. Kiln (presumably) and taking a break from actually making clayfighter content for the engine, and he tried to make his actual response to the C&D email as organized and explanatory as he possibly could. He talked about it here so that he wouldn't make judgements too quickly, and everyone else came to him with the understanding that the best thing to do would be to not continue.

I have no idea what Interplay is actually doing with ClayFighter right now but I really don't think boycotting them would really change anything. The law is the law, and you either live with it or don't. I wish things could be better but they probably won't be improving for a while.
#28  September 09, 2023, 10:26:02 pm
    • USA
Putting this in the thread that's actually about the C&D because I don't want his other clayfighter thread to get derailed
Be an Centrlist man and do what the fallout onlline dev once did threaten the lawyer

You know almost everyone is pissed off now. Im just expressing my anger. Had you man up yet now against interplay yet?

Ah yes this is definitely sane, rational, reasonable behavior that would have no consequences whatsoever.

Still, Im angry at interplay, others are angry at interplay, basakun is angry at interplay and you should be angry at interplay also. So why you going against the centralist route?

I'm not happy about them doing this either but I don't think I'd get this worked up over it. Threatening the lawyer like the fallout online guy (???) is only going to make matters worse and will probably wind up in a lawsuit, and we still don't have a response from Interplay themselves yet so for a while it's going to be really hard to judge how the situation will end. I think Basara may be taking the most reasonable response by halting development after he finishes up Dr. Kiln (presumably) and taking a break from actually making clayfighter content for the engine, and he tried to make his actual response to the C&D email as organized and explanatory as he possibly could. He talked about it here so that he wouldn't make judgements too quickly, and everyone else came to him with the understanding that the best thing to do would be to not continue.

I have no idea what Interplay is actually doing with ClayFighter right now but I really don't think boycotting them would really change anything. The law is the law, and you either live with it or don't. I wish things could be better but they probably won't be improving for a while.

This is why america must bring back duels back since, back when its about strength and will not from words about who has the best lawyer or have the best arguments. Edit: I'm sorry for this crap, im just pissed off due to what they doing and i cant think anymore
Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 10:31:11 pm by Charles The fighter
#29  September 10, 2023, 12:39:29 am
  • The Chaos has ended. You will be remembered!
    • Germany
I'm really sorry to read that Basara.
I hope this will all be resolved in a good way for you.
#30  September 10, 2023, 12:41:40 am
    • Brazil
If they don't change their minds, you can always finish the game in secret, take away your name from the new stuff and have someone else "officially" release it. They won't be able to prove you did it.
#31  September 10, 2023, 02:39:57 am
    • USA
If they don't change their minds, you can always finish the game in secret, take away your name from the new stuff and have someone else "officially" release it. They won't be able to prove you did it.

Thats also a good idea since A if they can get rid of multiple copies if it got done and B it be an bigger bierbra Streisand effect causing the download to be more sought over and to be downloaded more and more
#32  September 10, 2023, 03:00:47 pm
  • I am become Death, Destroyer of Tiers
    • UK
ah yes, ye olde "my Gdrive was hacked and it had the most recent (almost complete) beta on it oh no"

I think its best to wait for a official responce 1st before doing something like that. Maybe they can realise Mugen is a profit free game or something.
#33  September 10, 2023, 05:18:26 pm
    • USA
ah yes, ye olde "my Gdrive was hacked and it had the most recent (almost complete) beta on it oh no"

Are you trying to fuckin mock basakun? Since you sound like you mocking him hell i think you're one of interplay's goons trying to harass him like take 2 did with modders. Get out scum, no one wants copyright abusers, The Centrlists will take over this fuckin forum.
#34  September 10, 2023, 05:23:29 pm
  • Self-Sufficient Subhuman
  • "I hope you're ready for a beating!"
    • USA
Are you trying to fuckin mock basakun? Since you sound like you mocking him hell i think you're one of interplay's goons trying to harass him like take 2 did with modders. Get out scum, no one wants copyright abusers, The Centrlists will take over this fuckin forum.

Bro are you just trolling by this point lmao cause this is as entertaining as it is baffling
#35  September 10, 2023, 06:46:22 pm
    • Brazil

I think its best to wait for a official responce 1st before doing something like that. Maybe they can realise Mugen is a profit free game or something.
Well, I did say he should do that if Interplay didn't change their minds. I mean, it would be pointless to do that if they actually do the reasonable thing and leave Infinite Clayfare alone.

You need to calm your ass down. You're being aggressive for no reason.
#36  September 10, 2023, 06:56:00 pm
    • USA

Well, I did say he should do that if Interplay didn't change their minds. I mean, it would be pointless to do that if they actually do the reasonable thing and leave Infinite Clayfare alone.

You need to calm your ass down. You're being aggressive for no reason.

Okay, and also im very sorry. Look  im just upset and not in a best state of mind. I just wish ic an figure out an good direction
#37  September 10, 2023, 07:27:46 pm
  • The Modern Mystical Ninja
  • Goemon's Descendant
    • Chile
    • Skype - ardilla_shc
    • sites.google.com/view/ganbarelucifermugensite/
I hate when...
Company: *Does absolutely NOTHING with the IP for years, decades, centuries, millennia.*
Fans: Well, it's time to revive it. *Makes a good fangame.*
Company: NOOOOOOOOOOO YOU CAN'T REVIVE OUR DEAD IP THAT WE WILL NEVER EVER TOUCH AGAIN. *Throws a C&D tantrum.*

This really sucks, compa. I hope this gets resolved soon.
"Heroes are not applied on good people with powers, they apply on cops, firefighters, medics." ~Lucifer

#38  September 10, 2023, 07:47:14 pm
  • Did I hear something about a scooby snack?
    • USA
    • squidlypoli1.neocities.org
I hate when...
Company: *Does absolutely NOTHING with the IP for years, decades, centuries, millennia.*
Fans: Well, it's time to revive it. *Makes a good fangame.*
Company: NOOOOOOOOOOO YOU CAN'T REVIVE OUR DEAD IP THAT WE WILL NEVER EVER TOUCH AGAIN. *Throws a C&D tantrum.*

This really sucks, compa. I hope this gets resolved soon.

Even if they're not doing shit with the IP, it's still their right to handle it the way they want, and if they don't want people making fan projects then they don't want people making fan projects. I have no idea if Woolie's video on fangames is the greatest thing to bring up 5+ years later but I've always felt his whole rule of "don't tell the public about your fangame until it's in a really finished state" is still a pretty good one.
#39  September 10, 2023, 08:19:23 pm
    • Brazil
The problem is other companies, bigger (and successful) ones, are fully aware of MUGEN and decided to leave it alone. Why is a lesser company like Interplay rearing their heads from whatever hole they dug for themselves to pull a C&D on a project that does more good than harm to the IP? If they had any brain, they'd go as far as openly support the project so they can pretend they're doing something with the IP.
#40  September 11, 2023, 04:55:20 am
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
Okay, and also im very sorry. Look  im just upset and not in a best state of mind. I just wish ic an figure out an good direction
I know and I understand you'd be upset, in part I still am too, but also I (and we) need to be calm and think well the next step, and that is to wait for an official answer via mail or a public announcement about this, later I will see what to do next.

Also, I want to thank all who helped and supported me with this issue, since kind words and spread the word as well the ones who revisited the mail I sent to Interplay, being here on the forum, Discord or Twitter. Really I feel the whole community backing me up on this, and I hope no fangame should get this again, so thanks to all :heart:

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X