YesNoOk

dont know if this belongs here (Read 7876 times)

Started by Umezono, February 12, 2015, 09:51:21 pm
Share this topic:
dont know if this belongs here
#1  February 12, 2015, 09:51:21 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Anyways, I am trying to quit cigarettes

I am down to only 3-4 a day but I want to quit completely. I went and talked to my college health service center. They thought the best thing to do would be cold turkey. So I am trying it, and I feel like a wreck. Physically and mentally. I haven't been getting much sleep. I am getting too irritable with friends and its made me get into fights, I feel like I am losing some of them because I am being overly rude. Its gotten in the way of my schoolwork. On top of that, its making me feel slightly under the weather and sick. I hope I can quit, because this is really hard and I don't think I've ever gona through such a withdrawal for something ever. So if I am not really here often for a bit, or I do show up and say something stupid, I hope you understand my current position. I would also like some suggestions, from any former smokers maybe, how I can pick myself up from this slump. Or is it just a pure wait?

Also, to any interviews promised, I'm really sorry. It sucks I can't keep my word and uphold a schedule. I am not usually this unreliable. I want to get to them as soon as I feel better, and patch up the damage this experience has caused to me socially and academically. Again, I'm sorry to those I promised interviews.
Re: dont know if this belongs here
#2  February 12, 2015, 09:53:33 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
wait and replacement, people that quit smokign usually eat a lot more, try to eat fruit instead of other stuff when that happens.
#3  February 12, 2015, 09:54:42 pm
  • SNK is life
Electronic cigarettes. They keep the habit of putting something on your mouth. You can smoke them INDOORS.
#4  February 12, 2015, 09:58:09 pm
for how many years have you been smoking?
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#5  February 12, 2015, 10:01:09 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
for how many years have you been smoking?
A year or maybe a lil more. I had a checkup and they said if I get off it now, I wont really feel really any lasting effects. But the mental part of it is what is hard
#6  February 12, 2015, 10:08:01 pm
Yeah it's supposed to feel worse. Drink water, try working out, do some kine of creative artwork (writing, drawing, etc). Sounds like a typical nothing special answer but it's the best advice really.

Learning/unlearning habits involve conscious effort, make quitting a priority (again sounds too simplistic but that's what it boils down to). Of course there's always supplements that can help if it gets too overwhelming.
#7  February 12, 2015, 10:10:00 pm
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
All the ex-smokers I know swear by e-cigs, although you run the risk of becoming one of those macgyvers obsessed with your rig and mixtures and shit
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#8  February 12, 2015, 10:24:58 pm
try to make yourself feel disgusted from cigarettes, google images of smokers lungs (they look disgusting but it's all the more reason) and keep them somewhere you can see all the time, and keep telling yourself "this could happen to me if i don't stop".
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#9  February 12, 2015, 11:34:32 pm
  • チョンリサ
    • Canada
The first week is the hardest, but from your post I dunno when you actually stopped.
you can't mixup a blind man, and you can't out think a brick ~skisonic
Street fighting is all about analysis, prediction, and reaction. That's it.

#10  February 13, 2015, 12:29:28 am
  • all is love in fair and war
my friend changed brands gradually more and more expensive until finally quit.
#11  February 13, 2015, 12:49:06 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
hate to be an asshole, but I had not big trouble quitting ; the worse it gets is some random cravings and if they are too annoying I just smoke one and then forget about it for months; I ahve never believed in cold turkey /100% quitting.
#12  February 13, 2015, 01:04:05 am
  • SNK is life
I bite my nails. I'm pretty sure if I stopped biting my nails, I'd have to take up smoking. I'm sure when I don't bite my nails, I stress-eat. I've seen some people holding their hand over their face (mouth mostly) all the time. We all deal with stress in different ways, there's no denying it.

Maybe if we learned to deal with situations without generating stress, one problem at a time, that'd help the root cause of all these weird habit.
#13  February 13, 2015, 01:11:59 am
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
I've seen some people holding their hand over their face (mouth mostly) all the time.
Heh, that's me ever since I stopped biting my nails. I still think it's a fairly good tradeoff, though my hands get sweaty a bit more often. Maybe the real solution is to get increasingly less awkward/harmful vices 'till we start to behave like 'normal' people.

Bea

#14  February 13, 2015, 01:23:01 am
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org
Nail biter here as well.
If I didn't, I'd probably have exploded from stress by now.
Princess Adora: "My friend saw She-Ra take her dress off in the shower. She said she has an 8 pack. She said She-Ra is shredded."

SF2NES is dead. Long live SF2NES.
#15  February 13, 2015, 01:42:42 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
I bit my nails till I was in orientation for my job around 15 years ago. I had a capped tooth and it totally popped my cap off. It instantly made me stop the habit!
#16  February 13, 2015, 02:19:20 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Maybe if we learned to deal with situations without generating stress, one problem at a time, that'd help the root cause of all these weird habit.
ah, I play wiht my keychain/keys and purposefully do typos while I write.
#17  February 13, 2015, 02:30:42 am
All the ex-smokers I know swear by e-cigs, although you run the risk of becoming one of those macgyvers obsessed with your rig and mixtures and shit

oh man i know how you feel. got a friend who owns a little company that makes e-cig and they all talk about juices and e-cig cartridges. and they actually built one for me complete with censor and shit but i don't use it.

i did quit smoking for awhile back in my college days though it wasn't my idea i was forced to quit thanks to my former bitch girlfriend. it was the most miserable couple of months i had to live through.
#18  February 13, 2015, 03:19:36 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com

Mog

#19  February 13, 2015, 03:27:08 am
A year or maybe a lil more. I had a checkup and they said if I get off it now, I wont really feel really any lasting effects. But the mental part of it is what is hard

U stoopid idjit!   WHY would you even start???  ok so much for the nagging....   For the nicotine fix, one puff is all you need.  If the craving gets too bad, one puff then put it out.   Force yourself to wait a set length of time (at least 30 minutes and make it longer each day) before you relight for puff #2.   When you are at 1 a day, stop.  Carry one of those large insulated water cups with a straw and take frequent sips, the straw will feel like a cig.

GLB

#20  February 13, 2015, 03:32:34 am
    • network.mugenguild.com/glb/
I smoked for about 7 years. I quit cold turkey, just sat up one night, smoked one and said i'm sick of this shit, tossed it aside. It definitely effected my behavior towards others, causing my temper with co-workers and customers to be extremely short. So i definitely know your struggle, it's very difficult, and not to sound demotivating but it does not get any better. I think about them every day, and i still feel that annoying burn in the center of my chest, and I've coughed out so much disgusting stuff. The thing that keeps me doing it though is the positive vibes everyone has for me quitting, that and I no longer smell like shit everywhere I go or have to worry about having smoke access at jobs, obsessively brushing my teeth, apartments, etc.

What really helped me get past the first week was candy, I put on quite a few pounds after I quit. Something to suck on mainly, lemonheads, jolly ranchers, etc. That and seeing all the stuff come out of my body and being able to finally breathe for once made me feel a lot better about quitting. I suggest you keep doing what you're doing, try to lower the amount every so often until you're on none, maybe find something you can do that takes your mind off of it.