YesNoOk

"I was expecting _____" posts in release topics (Read 7866 times)

Started by Duos.act, July 31, 2012, 06:23:33 am
Share this topic:
Re: "I was expecting _____" posts in release topics
#41  August 01, 2012, 02:06:44 am
  • Some day I'll finish this thing...
    • Argentina
Agreed. Ultimately it just depends on how the person phrases it.

If someone says "Hey, you might want to consider adding X to the topic title so people don't get confused" then that person's being constructive and shouldn't get reported.

If all they post is "Awww... I thought this was going to be X character! No thanks!", then report and delete.
#42  August 01, 2012, 02:07:42 am
  • Does this look like the face of mercy?
i really doubt anyone making that kind os posts is doing it with purpose of trolling. it's more like they make stupid comments without thinking before posting

it's still a stupid an unnecessary comments that adds nothing to the thread, are annoying to read and might offend the author of said thread

DW

#43  August 01, 2012, 03:47:26 am
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
Although that is basically reasonable. It's not fair to the topic starter still. It should not matter how the release is worded (as long as it include a name) or who it is. You shouldn't be going into any thread and then basically complain that the character isn't what you wanted.

Which is kinda the point. It's not "i was expecting" the people who make these posts are really saying "I wanted X and you have ruined it"

Point stands. report it and we'll delete it.

Yeah, I can see that. That is true. One shouldn't expect anything from someone creating something to their own standards. The best advice I can give to someone expecting something of someone else in this regard, would be to create it yourself. Then you won't have to go around "expecting" anything of anyone. You don't have to be a coding wizard or anything to create for MUGEN, all you need do is apply yourself. Trust me, I know lol. There's TONS of stuff I don't know about coding and the like, I simply apply myself to get it done.

On another note of this topic though... What if the reverse were to come in to effect? I've seen this on forums sometimes where someone posts...

"I expected this char to be subpar or suck, but it's actually very good."

I suppose something like this is bitter-sweet. It is a compliment...though at the same time a insult as well. Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on something like that. Basically falls into the same script eh?

Pal

#44  August 01, 2012, 03:56:15 am
    • Argentina
Except that comment talks about the release itself.

While it may be read as rude it actually is relevant to the topic, unlike "I was expecting...".
#45  August 01, 2012, 07:58:31 am
what kind of crying bitch do you have to be to report a post that says "i thought this would suck but it's actually good" or "nice char + 1"

... ::)

My stages exhibition
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO2YZO7ut5I

Find them at: http://www.trinitymugen.net/forum/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=cat294

You are free to use the materials in the stages I released before 2014. Credits are always appreciated.
#46  August 01, 2012, 08:32:34 am
one that put a good amount of work into something and gets mostly "but i thought this would be something else, i don't care" replies, which is actually pretty fucking reasonable to be upset about. also nobody's really complaining about nice char +1. pay attention
#47  August 01, 2012, 10:18:14 am

I suppose something like this is bitter-sweet. It is a compliment...though at the same time a insult as well. Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on something like that. Basically falls into the same script eh?

My post was an answer to this quote above. Not the first post precisely. The guy quoted wants a opinion about that "bitter-sweet" type of comment, for which there is nothing to be upset about.

------------------

also nobody's really complaining about nice char +1. pay attention

---> really ?
The "I was expecting _____" comments are on the same level as "nice car +1" posts, they add nothing to discussion and say nothing about the release itself.
The user's intents may not be about being rude or disrespectful but they are still stupid posts that are annoying to look at. Of course, this wouldn't be a big deal if users wouldn't post this kind of comments so often.
::)

Insert coin to retry please.
My stages exhibition
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO2YZO7ut5I

Find them at: http://www.trinitymugen.net/forum/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=cat294

You are free to use the materials in the stages I released before 2014. Credits are always appreciated.
#48  August 01, 2012, 11:26:44 am
  • Maker of obscurity.
    • http://tetsuwanatom.b1.jcink.com/
I recall something like this happened when I released a stage called "Angelica Stage", the dude just replied saying he tought it was "Angelica Pickles".
I think it's stupid, both screenshot and video were there, just saying these things are wasting the time of the poster. It's not because you expected something different that you should post something unnecessary.
-Toshio Tenma
#49  August 01, 2012, 12:00:39 pm
  • チョンリサ
    • Canada
---> really ?
The "I was expecting _____" comments are on the same level as "nice car +1" posts, they add nothing to discussion and say nothing about the release itself.
The user's intents may not be about being rude or disrespectful but they are still stupid posts that are annoying to look at. Of course, this wouldn't be a big deal if users wouldn't post this kind of comments so often.
::)

Insert coin to retry please.
Maybe you wanna re-read what you quoted. Maybe English isn't your first language so I'll give you the free credit to retry.
you can't mixup a blind man, and you can't out think a brick ~skisonic
Street fighting is all about analysis, prediction, and reaction. That's it.

GOH

#50  August 01, 2012, 01:26:49 pm
  • Pure radge
    • Portugal
On another note of this topic though... What if the reverse were to come in to effect? I've seen this on forums sometimes where someone posts...

It's not exactly the same thing, because usually those comments are made after people try said character and sometimes are followed by feedback on what to improve more and such. And usually someone says that because the author has a tendency to release subpar content, which is an understandable comment IMO.
#51  August 03, 2012, 07:56:59 pm
    • USA
    • stacksmash.kontek.net/
The "oh I was expecting this character" posts are giant fuck-yous to the creator of the character; they're saying "this character is not worth my time because it is not the character I thought it would be, and I need to tell everyone about my displeasure even though nobody gives a fuck."

I'm curious, what If someone says something to the effect of "I thought It was going to be ___, but this is cool too, so I'm going to get this anyway"?
#52  August 03, 2012, 08:35:31 pm
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
I don't think anyone would care in that case. I certainly haven't seen any posts like that reported.
#53  August 03, 2012, 08:47:38 pm
  • Maker of obscurity.
    • http://tetsuwanatom.b1.jcink.com/
I have a job and I often check my posts when there are new replies.
However, is frustrating to check a topic just to learn that somebody said was expecting another thing.
Well, it waste my time.
Another thing which I find stupid is seeing people to make useless corrections about grammar or even time in a release topic.
After all it's not a grammar section and neither a forum related to the current time. It's the release section and it should be like that.
-Toshio Tenma