YesNoOk

Mr. X (Resident Evil 2) (Video added 8/11/11!) (Read 52148 times)

Started by Sean Altly, July 31, 2011, 02:46:04 am
Share this topic:
Mr. X (Resident Evil 2) (Video added 8/11/11!)
#1  July 31, 2011, 02:46:04 am
  • Deliverater
  • Who's that guy? A-L-T-L-Y
    • USA
    • www.mugenguild.com/seanaltly
Things are going into full-swing with Mr. X. Here's what's done so far:

-All basic animations (stance, crouch, guard, jump, etc.)
-All required sprites
-4 basics

What's left:

-Rest of his basics
-Specials
-Supers
-Intros/Taunt/Win Poses

I've powered through the boring stuff, now it's all fun stuff with attacks and poses.

Here's a few animated .gifs as previews:

Here's the current planned moveset:

COMMAND MOVES:

-Shoulder Rush - F+HP
  -A forward moving shoulder block attack. Good bit of start-up, but moves pretty far for a command move, and knocks down.

SPECIALS:

-Charging Haymaker - Charge B,F,P
  -Exactly what it sounds like. Based on one of his more frequently used attacks in RE: Darkside Chronicles. Toying with the idea of a Q/Balrog situation where he can do a low version, but I'm not sure of Mr. X would be that agile.

-Tyrant Hammer - D,DB,B,P
  -A very powerful double-fisted overhead attack. It will have a lot of start-up and low range like in RE2, but will do massive damage for a Special.

-Tyrant Pressure - F,DF,D,DB,B,K
  -A command grab where he grabs the opponent by the face, squeezes their skull a couple of time before slamming them to the ground.

-Boot Crush - D,D,K
  -A nasty stomp to the head. Can be done to a grounded opponent, or as a follow-up to the Iron Claw Slam. Will not hit a standing opponent.

-Tyrant Capture - Charge D,U,P
  -Mr. X reaches upwards with great range and grabs airborne opponents, then slams them headfirst into the ground.

SUPERS:

-Tyrant Onslaught (Level 1) - D,DF,F,S
  -Does several Charging Haymakers in a row, the last one knocking them away and making them bounce off the wall.

-Tyrant Mutilation (Level 3) - F,DF,D,DB,B,S
  -He grabs his opponent like he does with the Tyrant Pressure, but instead of slamming them to the ground, he sprouts a claw on his free arm and drives it straight through his opponent's torso. Then he retracts the claw and throws them away.

-That's all I have planned for now. He may get a second L1 super.

-I will also be attempting to code super armor. I've never really done it before so I will probably need help. I want it to work like Hulk and Juggernaut in the MVC games, where it's not total super armor, but something where you have to string together more than 2 hits to get him to actually reel from being hit. Any help on this would be GREATLY appreciated.

-I also want to give him a special KO state. Whenever he's KO'd by a move that doesn't knock him down, he'll wobble a bit and then fall to his knees, and then on his face, just like in RE2.

I'll post some screenshots here soon. Ideas/suggestions are welcome!

***UPDATE***

Here's a preview video: Mr. X Preview

Download Last Bout now!
Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 01:28:17 pm by Sean CenAltly
Re: Mr. X (Resident Evil 2)
#2  July 31, 2011, 02:53:44 am
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/saikoros-high-resolution-mugen-portraits-fatal-fury-full-set-145724.0.html
First in....

Wow. This is rolling along smoothly already!! Very nice work as usual Sean, your work continually improves.

I say you should show Mr. X's true form through super moves, like a transformation that leads into an attack, and then back again. Kinda like N. Chaos from Melty Blood. Also make sure you include an intro that shows his emergence from one of those pods dropped from a Helicopter, as seen in the FMV that originally introduced him in RE2. Come to think of it, there were 6 of those pods housed under the chopper. Also, he would certainly benefit from armor coding as he is so large and imposing.

I'm watching this release like a hawk. Keep up the astounding releases. You've got a true fan of your work here.
All of your Mugen Portrait needs may be found HERE.

I'd like to report two robots on the MFG forums: One is EXShadow. The other is Saikoro.
There should be a Saikoro plugin for Photoshop.
Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 03:00:31 am by Saikoro
#3  July 31, 2011, 03:06:42 am
Well, feedback time. 

The sprites are excellent. The jump doesn't look..."animated" enough, but it probably looks better in action than as a gif so I guess I'm just nitpicking. Is shoulder rush something like Ken's f + mk on SSFIV? Used to maintain rushdown? As far as a Balrog-esque low charge attack goes...think you could make a command normal a trip like Makoto or oiled up Hakan? It won't be a special, but atleast it'll make for some high-low game. Tyrant Hammer is a great idea, but how will weak/heavy operate? I was thinking you would make the weak version quicker but DOESN'T knockdown, but has a narrow window for another attack to smuggle it's way in, whereas the heavy version knocks down.

Tyrant Pressure is something I would expect, and it's perfect where it is. It would be cool if you didn't make it combo into anything, something common among MUGEN creators is making command grabs combo. Boot Crush sounds like Ryu's wallbounce kick...exactly how will it work? And what's with it's command, is that a typo? Will Tyrant Capture grab hitboxes or only hittable boxes? It won't be useful if it gets beat by every jump-in known to man, just saying.

Mr. X looks/sounds like an excellent character, and I think so far you've got a good character in mind. Since he won't have much combo-ability, I think you should put more emphasis on mindgames, high-low mixups, frametraps and overhead shenanigans, but there's no move or anything I would have in mind for any of that so it's whatever. You should know I just like to throw my opinion into everything.
#4  July 31, 2011, 09:28:46 am
  • I'm behind you!!!
I think I agree...Ive never played RE2( i want to now thanks for getting my attention to the RE series =) )  Im guessing Mr.X would have to be anti air with moves. good spritage btw. any good CvS tutorials out there? I dont have photoshop or any of that...just paint
#5  August 01, 2011, 11:12:42 pm
  • Deliverater
    • USA
Well, feedback time. 

The sprites are excellent. The jump doesn't look..."animated" enough, but it probably looks better in action than as a gif so I guess I'm just nitpicking. Is shoulder rush something like Ken's f + mk on SSFIV? Used to maintain rushdown? As far as a Balrog-esque low charge attack goes...think you could make a command normal a trip like Makoto or oiled up Hakan? It won't be a special, but atleast it'll make for some high-low game. Tyrant Hammer is a great idea, but how will weak/heavy operate? I was thinking you would make the weak version quicker but DOESN'T knockdown, but has a narrow window for another attack to smuggle it's way in, whereas the heavy version knocks down.

Tyrant Pressure is something I would expect, and it's perfect where it is. It would be cool if you didn't make it combo into anything, something common among MUGEN creators is making command grabs combo. Boot Crush sounds like Ryu's wallbounce kick...exactly how will it work? And what's with it's command, is that a typo? Will Tyrant Capture grab hitboxes or only hittable boxes? It won't be useful if it gets beat by every jump-in known to man, just saying.

Mr. X looks/sounds like an excellent character, and I think so far you've got a good character in mind. Since he won't have much combo-ability, I think you should put more emphasis on mindgames, high-low mixups, frametraps and overhead shenanigans, but there's no move or anything I would have in mind for any of that so it's whatever. You should know I just like to throw my opinion into everything.

-Well, I was going to add another frame to his jump but felt like a stiff jump suited him. It does look better in game.
-I'm not sure the Shoulder Block will have enough forward movement to maintain rushdown, though honestly rushdown isn't a priority with him. Aside from his Charging Haymaker, he'll be the type of guy who once you get close with him, he does tons of damage.
-Well, I think both versions of Tyrant Hammer will knock down, they'll just have more/less start-up and different damage to make up for it. The way the animation will look, it would look weird to get hit with it and not get knocked down.
-For Tyrant Pressure, I was always under the impression that being able to combo into grabs was a big no-no, which is why I never do it (on purpose). However, I recently had it pointed out to me that Ralf (or Clark, or both, can't recall right now) can combo into the Argentine Backbreaker. But no, he won't be able to combo into the throw.
-The Boot Crush will just be a low-range stomp that is primarily used as a follow-up to Tyrant Pressure. It will also be possible to sneak it in on a downed opponent who isn't recovering fast enough.  I'm using Maxima as an animation base, and he has a move where he does an Atomic Drop, and then by inputting another command, he follows it up with a Senton Roll that hits the grounded opponent, which is where I got the idea. The command isn't a typo, it's just a double tap down. I've been using the command more lately, like with Solid Snake and Byrne.
-Tyrant Capture will have good priority and due to Mr. X's size, it will have crazy range. Just think of Abel's anti-air grab in SF4, and you'll see what I'm going for, just with more range. I'll make sure it's useful.
-Well, he'll definitely have an overhead or two. The Tyrant Hammer will have overhead properties, and I'll give him a command normal that is an overhead as well.

Thanks for your feedback!

Download Last Bout now!
#6  August 02, 2011, 08:14:41 pm
Just like to say that Mr X looks Great :o well done Sean Altly :sugoi: :)
really glad that you are keeping him in this form as well as I dont like his second form as much either, but like you I love this version of him so really glad about that I really like the moves you are giving him as well :sugoi:

also just wanted to say many thanks for bringing my fave RE character into mugen as well very much appreciated :sugoi:

and really looking forward to his release personally :)

cheers Sean Altly :)
#7  August 02, 2011, 08:18:34 pm
    • USA
Mr. X sure looks a lot like Volgin from MGS3
#8  August 02, 2011, 09:41:12 pm
  • Deliverater
    • USA
Yeah, but I think it's the other way around since Resident Evil 2 came out way before Metal Gear Solid 3. So really, Volgin looks a lot like Mr. X.

Download Last Bout now!
#9  August 03, 2011, 10:59:49 pm
  • The life of a dish is not an easy one.
    • USA
    • mugenplate.webs.com/
More then likey you won't be needing these, but I ripped some random sounds from RE2 for the PS1.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ewtzup

Most of them are not used by Mr.X in game, but might fit with him. But again more then likey you might not need these.
Stuff
#10  August 05, 2011, 03:27:48 am
  • Deliverater
    • USA
All of his standards are now done, as well as his Charging Haymaker and Shoulder Block. I've also made the animation for the grab part of Tyrant Capture, and am currently working on the slamming animation. Here are some screenshots so you can see him in action, and it also shows you how big he really is (more in the spoiler below):

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Download Last Bout now!
#11  August 05, 2011, 04:01:22 am
  • Bringing her back
    • USA
    • hiivolt-07.deviantart.com/
Mr. Altly works fast as shit.
Spriting is hard.
#12  August 05, 2011, 04:46:00 am
  • Master Relic Tech
  • Screenpack Maker EX
Man so looking forward to seeing him in action and yeah, Sean is fast!
#13  August 05, 2011, 06:33:50 am
  • Lilly,Jbs Jr. are my world
    • USA
seriously impressive  :sugoi:
#14  August 05, 2011, 09:13:31 am
Cool! Another RE character! Can't wait until he gets released!  ;D
#15  August 05, 2011, 09:24:33 am
  • Deliverater
    • USA
Just wanted to note that his moveset has deviated from the original plan a bit. Here's what's different:

1. F+HP is an overhead attack instead of the Shoulder Block.
2. The Shoulder Block is now a knockdown attack that's being mapped to the "Special" button.

I also need some advice. Right now, on his Charging Haymaker, if you hold up during the charge, he does an overhead punch, and if you hold down, he does a low-hitting punch. Is that cheap that he can do both? If so, which should he keep, the sweep or the overhead? At first I thought "well, it's easily poked" but then I remembered he's going to have super armor eventually, so it won't stay like that. Just looking for advice on what's fair or how to make it balanced.

Download Last Bout now!
#16  August 05, 2011, 12:07:35 pm
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/saikoros-high-resolution-mugen-portraits-fatal-fury-full-set-145724.0.html
Just wanted to note that his moveset has deviated from the original plan a bit. Here's what's different:

1. F+HP is an overhead attack instead of the Shoulder Block.
2. The Shoulder Block is now a knockdown attack that's being mapped to the "Special" button.

I also need some advice. Right now, on his Charging Haymaker, if you hold up during the charge, he does an overhead punch, and if you hold down, he does a low-hitting punch. Is that cheap that he can do both? If so, which should he keep, the sweep or the overhead? At first I thought "well, it's easily poked" but then I remembered he's going to have super armor eventually, so it won't stay like that. Just looking for advice on what's fair or how to make it balanced.

Not at all. Look at Balrog's (Boxer) charging attributes: his dashing punch could act as a high or low attack depending if you release the command holding forward or down-forward. No cheapness there. Consider it a nice pressure mind game.

I'd like to report two robots on the MFG forums: One is EXShadow. The other is Saikoro.
#17  August 05, 2011, 04:34:43 pm
    • UK
    • www.nnaajjmugen.tumblr.com/
Wow, the sprites look really good especially the body work.
All I would say is the face looks to human like not made of steel (or whatever his face is made out of lol).
This project is definitely instresting  :)

Also props for giving him the curb stomp.
Kinda strange but I woke up today and her hand was on my ass cheek
I won't suspect anything though I'll take it she was sleeping and didn't notice
you should have flipped over slowly
#18  August 05, 2011, 11:29:07 pm
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
Come to think of it, having the attack end with pressing forward or down-forward would be a bit more traditional than up or down. Or perhaps you could do a play on the tiger knee and have up-forward or down-forward instead of straight up or down. The attack command would feel smoother and far more traditional this way.

And this question may be a little off topic, but whats the release plan for Jin Kazama?? Is he exclusive to Capcom VS the World or will he too get a single release treatment?? I ask only because he is one of my top favorites as I would love to have him in my roster.

#19  August 06, 2011, 09:35:33 pm
Wow great pics he looks Awesome :o 8) well done Sean Altaly :sugoi: :)

personally I have made a space just for him in my roster already ;D (Im that impressed :))
#20  August 09, 2011, 02:43:48 am
  • I want to see more in Mugen!
    • Brazil
Finally more Resident Evil Characters.

Good look.