YesNoOk

DC Cinematic Universe: Now presenting Gang Weed: The Movie (Read 1435361 times)

Started by Jmorphman, August 31, 2012, 12:01:22 am
Share this topic:
Re: DC Cinematic Universe: Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice, an actual movie title
#1221  January 29, 2015, 04:18:03 pm
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
Comics Stewart is better because he's an architect like Alan Scott, ex-military, and blew up a planet. DCAU Stewart is worse, because he's just ex-military and makes guns and lasers. Since Tyrese has been playing military or ex-military guys that shoot guns at things for almost all of his career, I don't have a lot of confidence that we're getting the comics version.

And Kyle Rayner is better than both of them.
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
Re: DC Cinematic Universe: Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice, an actual movie title
#1222  January 29, 2015, 04:35:14 pm
  • MUGEN IS MY LIFE /I promise from not to derail.
Actually My favorite is Hal than followed by Kyle and Jon....But Yeah Live Action version of Jon might be awesome
Esaka rules Beat that.... Or Just Get outta my way
#1223  January 29, 2015, 04:37:03 pm
  • The Lord of Vampire
  • Member of the Reign of Kreation
    • Brazil
    • guiaugusto20@hotmail.com
    • Skype - guiaugusto20
My favorites Green Lanterns are Stewart and Rayner. And i like the new one in the comics (Simon Baz) and the original one (Alan Scott)
I really didn't like Jordan so much. But Gardner is the worst GL for me.
#1224  January 29, 2015, 05:00:58 pm
  • Prince of Latis
  • Destroy the Core!
    • Canada
    • Skype - Whiplash-1
My Favorite Lantern is Probably Guy followed by Hal.

Though I like Simon more now, but that might be due to bias since we are both Lebanese. :)
#1225  January 29, 2015, 05:33:11 pm
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
the best lantern is clearly, objectively, and scientifically Guy Gardner, followed by John Stewart and then Kyle Rayner I guess I mean I dunno he never really had that "it" factor to me and I guess Morrison used him well but I don't think he had like a definitive solo run like say Wally West?

You know you do that about as often as Red says the Fantastic Four suck.
Really on a tear about this, huh. Good thing I actually read comics and consume media with Hal Jordan in them and haven't literally admitted to intentionally trying to bait people! ::)

I'm gonna back this up with a good ol' fashioned list of pros and cons

John Stewart
pros:
  • has a personality
  • has more than one character trait, none of which is "asshole"
cons:
  • floundered a bit in the 90s while Kyle Rayner was the only active lantern

Hal Jordan
pros:
  • ???
  • has a good costume I guess?
cons:

but going deeper, he's just been a very, very bland hero for most of his history, and since being brought back has been given a really unlikeable personality. The former is really prevalent among a great majority of these early superheroes. They were designed specifically to be simplistic and bland! After DC had fully digested the innovations Marvel was doing in making its characters complex and human they started to try and apply it to their stable of heroes, but and some of them were harder to update than others, and further, some creative teams were much better than others at doing so. Some concepts like say, Batman, lent themselves very easily to this task ("boy swears to defeat all crime, trains for 15 years and then dresses up as a Dracula to do so!" just naturally gives out so many storytelling opportunities and character moments), while others like I dunno... Aquaman have gone nearly 40 years without anything sticking until now.

Or take someone like Green Arrow, who spent his early history as a very blatant ripoff of Batman with nothing really interesting or unique about him. Then along comes Denny O'Neil and Neal Adams who turn him into a overblown hippie and suddenly gold's been struck (they were less successful in doing the same with Green Lantern, even when they had combined the two characters and played them off each other into the team-up title "Green Lantern/Green Arrow"). Even characters older than the Silver Age heroes like the Justice Society members got developed more, even if a lot of it came from the inherent concept that the JSA heroes are from WWII and are much older and wiser than the Silver Age fellows.

So it's not exactly surprising that DC eventually killed off Barry Allen and gave the Flash role to Wally West (who had been fleshed out into an actual character in Teen Titans by then), tried to do the same with Hal Jordan (but fucked it up because where Barry Allen got the most heroic death ever and passed the role to his sidekick, Hal Jordan got turned into a raving murderous lunatic and the GL mantle was handed to a brand new character, and divided the fanbase), and kept trying to make Aquaman into an interesting character with countless revamps (when not even Peter David Kurt Busiek can pull it off, I think it's time to admit defeat!). Those changes were mostly pretty successful, and in the case of the Flash led to the best runs on the character, full stop. Which is why the regression to the Silver Age is so disheartening, even if they've tried to modernize and flesh out the characters. So Hal Jordan's fleshing out tied his personality to the whole "fearless hotshot test pilot" thing, and that basically meant he gets written as a hot headed jerk somewhat like Guy Gardner, except Hal's behavior is rewarded. We're supposed to think Hal Jordan is totally cool and look he punched out Batman how badass can he be. He's just pretty dang unlikeable while simultaneously being the least interesting and most bland of the Earth Lanterns and also HE DATED A 14 YEAR OLD.

Comics Stewart is better because he's an architect like Alan Scott, ex-military, and blew up a planet. DCAU Stewart is worse, because he's just ex-military and makes guns and lasers. Since Tyrese has been playing military or ex-military guys that shoot guns at things for almost all of his career, I don't have a lot of confidence that we're getting the comics version.

And Kyle Rayner is better than both of them.
Comics Stewart didn't become ex-military until it was retconned in after DCAU Stewart was established! :P

and it was for the worse because DCAU Stewart was a lot more lively and fun (but also serious) but Comics Stewart post-retcon suddenly became joyless and dull.
#1226  January 29, 2015, 05:47:32 pm
  • Hick-spanic
  • the dawn away
    • Puerto Rico
might as well shill: https://twitter.com/FraudKrew
the streams are here: https://www.twitch.tv/robotboombox
#1227  January 29, 2015, 06:18:51 pm
  • MUGEN IS MY LIFE /I promise from not to derail.
Actually he has a pro the fact his girlfriend would become one his enemies at some point If he is that bland Than its a blessing others had out-shined him as Green Lantern When it comes to John Stewart, Guy Gardener and Kyle Rayner. (Alan Scott I really want to ignore him as well)
Esaka rules Beat that.... Or Just Get outta my way
Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 06:24:56 pm by Segatron
#1228  January 29, 2015, 07:27:25 pm
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#1229  January 29, 2015, 07:48:40 pm
    • USA
His time as The Spectre was alright. But other than that yeah I'd rather see Guy or John in a JLA movie.
That was was pretty good but it can't help that the run directly preceding it was the Ostrander one, which is pretty much, unequivocally, the definitive Spectre run.

also why the heck did Geoff Johns trash the whole interesting "Hal Jordan, as the new host of the Spectre, turns it into a spirit of forgiveness and redemption" angle a few years later, and turn the Hal Jordan Spectre into the same murderously avenging angel the Jim Corrigan one was? It had to have been like 2003 or so, Green Lantern: Rebirth was either coming out soon or was in the works already, and nothing in that story depended on the Spectre having to be all murder-y. It just felt so remarkably petty, an excuse for Geoff Johns to trash the very idea of the Hal Jordan Spectre for 2 issues (or however long that arc went) right before trashing the concept as a whole. :-\
#1230  January 29, 2015, 08:05:28 pm
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
'Cause Hal's the One True Lantern or whatever. For all that he did with Hal since, Johns really did himself a disservice poo-pooing all that flaws the character had that made him interesting: couldn't hold down a job (space cop doesn't pay in earth money, after all), couldn't maintain a relationship, romantic or otherwise (no teen sidekicks for this schlub), made very very stupid decision that were almost always spur of the moment (one REALLY bad one)...

Then Johns mostly explained it away with a space bug, rather than embracing it.
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#1231  January 29, 2015, 08:45:30 pm
    • USA
It didn't really fee related to that at all, it just felt like Geoff Johns was stopping his JSA run dead in its tracks so he could expound at length about how terrible J.M. DeMatteis's run on the Spectre was because the Spectre has to kill people and it was really blatant and weird and pointless!
#1232  January 29, 2015, 09:12:56 pm
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
Doc Spectrum is the best Green Lantern.
"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."

"Okay, okay. So you put a Nazi on the Moon. Fuck you, Moon."
#1233  February 04, 2015, 03:57:16 am
    • USA
Warner Brothers is reportedly working on a Legion of Super-Heroes movie, aiming at a "Avengers-meets-Guardians" type of mood. Well. at least they're not trying to make Legion dark and dour?

... I can't, I can't be positive about this, please don't ruin Legion, please :(

oh and I can't find the link but I read something about Suicide Squad and apparently the current script doesn't have anyone use costumes because you know this is a dark and realistic universe involving a man powered by the sun who will save us from the dark, a dude who dresses up as Dracula to defeat all crime forever, and an Amazonian princess who vows to spread peace to the entire world.
#1234  February 20, 2015, 08:43:01 am
    • USA
Aquaman:

Yes yes DC we get it: Aquaman is totally badass. Please stop shouting it at us nonstop, stop trying to prove how much of a cool badass Aquaman is like you have been for the past 4 years. We get it. Jeez. :megaeyes:

In Suicide Squad Joel Kinnaman is apparently the frontrunner to take over the Rick Flag role from the departing Tom Hardy but nothing's official, so I'm not gonna bother linking to anything.

aaaaand according to Latino Review, King Shark (KING SHARK!), Killer Frost, Livewire, and Blockbuster will all cameo in Suicide Squad.

Bea

#1235  February 20, 2015, 10:24:25 am
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org
You know, tattooed plate and scale maille ain't as effective as real plate and scale maille.
Princess Adora: "My friend saw She-Ra take her dress off in the shower. She said she has an 8 pack. She said She-Ra is shredded."

SF2NES is dead. Long live SF2NES.
#1236  February 20, 2015, 10:46:38 am
  • Hungry Wolf
  • Aspiring Sprite Animator
    • South Africa
That looks terrible... wheres the flowing blonde locks of hair?
#1237  February 20, 2015, 10:49:47 am
    • USA
Adding a blond wig to all that messiness would probably just make it look even worse.
#1238  February 20, 2015, 10:58:38 am
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
I will call him Rob Zombieman
#1239  February 20, 2015, 03:51:15 pm
    • Philippines
    • https://web.archive.org/web/20181226221429/http://moogen.piiym.net/
The comic community actually likes it.

No wonder I vastly prefer Marvel. Both DC and it's fans are perpetually stuck in that "badass and edgy" 90's mindset.
#1240  February 20, 2015, 03:54:03 pm
  • Lazy spriter
  • Demon in heaven gotta carry a knife
    • Bolivia
    • network.mugenguild.com/thedge/
Thorin Oakenshield.
That’s when I thought, “good grief”
Just ain’t my belief
Until I saw the holes
Inside his hand