YesNoOk

CvtW Superman (using Hannibal's sprites with edits and new palettes) (Read 85628 times)

Started by Sean Altly, September 19, 2012, 11:28:45 pm
Share this topic:
CvtW Superman (using Hannibal's sprites with edits and new palettes)
#1  September 19, 2012, 11:28:45 pm
  • Deliverater
  • Who's that guy? A-L-T-L-Y
    • USA
    • www.mugenguild.com/seanaltly

So, I always thought that Hannibal's sprites for Superman were decent, and with some timing tweaks, light edits, realignments, etc,, he has a lot of decent to good animations as well. I realized I have two very famous Marvel reps (Captain America and Dr. Doom), and my only DC rep is Rorschach, who is awesome but not really someone that comes to mind when you think DC. I wanted to put Batman in the game, but the sprites available for him need a lot of work, especially on the cape, so I decided to go with Superman as a SURPRISE entrant.

Before anyone gets nerdy with me, yes, Superman should be able to OWN everyone in the game. My explanation is this: since the story of the game involves interdimensional transportation, and Superman gets his power from Earth's yellow sun, he's significantly weakened in this other dimension since it's a different sun. Problem solved.

I will be doing some sprite edits and cleanups, and I'll be asking MDD to make me some decent looking CVS-style palettes for him. In the end, he shouldn't stand out any more than Jill or Captain America does. Here's his planned moveset.

COMMAND MOVES

Hammer Kick - D+HK in mid-air
   -Supes does a downward spinning somersault kick that sends the opponent hurdling to the ground with great force.

SPECIAL MOVES

Heat Vision (EX) - HCB+P (also in air)
   -Superman uses his laser-like heat vision on the opponent.

Ice Breath (EX) - HCB+K
   -Superman freezes his opponent with ice breath. Pressing LP cause shim to blow forward, HP blows diagonally as an anti-air.

Speeding Bullet - Charge B,F+P
   -Superman flies straight towards his opponent in his classic fists-out pose. Basically a Superman Psycho Crusher.

Krypton Crasher - Charge D,U+P or QCF+P in mid-air
   -Superman flies up a bit, and then flies diagonally downwards with both fists out, like a missile. Kind of like Ralf's similar attack. The aerial version has no upward moving start-up phase.

Earth Drill Uppercut (EX) - DP+P or K (EX version done with 2P only)
   -Superman drills into the ground and emerges closer to his opponent with a flying uppercut. Each different button pressed (LK, HK, LP, or HP) makes him travel a different distance before emerging from the ground. EX version makes Superman appear in front of his opponent no matter where they're at.

SUPER MOVES

L1 - Epicenter - RDP+S
   -Superman uses his super strength to punch the ground, causing an unblockable Earthquake that damages any grounded enemy and can only be avoided by jumping.

L1 - Man of Steel Counter - QCB+S
   -Superman stands his ground and absorbs an incoming attack. He then grabs his attacker, flies off screen, and then flies around the world several times before smashing them into the wall with great force.

L1 - Man of Steel Grab - RDP+S
   -Superman grabs his opponent, and then does the same as above. The Counter version has a lot of active time and little recovery, but is easy to avoid. Grab version does not require a counter, but has more recovery time and normal throw range.

L3 - G-Force Smash - HCF+S
   -Superman dashes forward and punches the opponent, following it with a flurry of attacks. He then knocks them very high into the air, almost into space, flies up to catch them and punches them down to the ground, doing massive damage.

Here are some screens, but keep in mind I haven't done many edits yet and I haven't gotten MDD to do any palettes, so he may look a bit different later. More in the spoiler:

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Now, I'm not a huge Superman fan. I know enough about him to know his powers, I've seen several of the movies, but if you guys have any suggestions for different moves or are familiar with Hannibal's version and know what sprites are available and would like to make some suggestions, feel free.

Download Last Bout now!
Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 06:37:05 pm by Sean Altly
Re: CvtW Superman (using Hannibal's sprites with edits and new palettes)
#2  September 19, 2012, 11:33:16 pm
  • I see you.
    • www.mugenfreeforall.com
could just be me but is that like a bad angle for his cape? its missing something there? also his face is lulzy he looks like sylvester stallone, but its not your fault maybe edit that a bit?

You'll fix chuchoryu ? Sounds like a plan. How about you code him from scratch instead ?
#3  September 19, 2012, 11:35:44 pm
  • Deliverater
    • USA
I'll probably edit the face, at least on the stance animation. Also, as far as I can tell, the cape comes directly from Magneto and looks fine to me in most animations.

Download Last Bout now!
#4  September 19, 2012, 11:38:08 pm
  • I see you.
    • www.mugenfreeforall.com
so its probably just the angle of the shot sprite then. ok and ty. sounds good to finally get a good superman in mugen.

You'll fix chuchoryu ? Sounds like a plan. How about you code him from scratch instead ?
#5  September 19, 2012, 11:46:57 pm
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
Whoah what, Superman?  I'm a big fan of the man of steel, this is a pleasant surprise.

Also Superman being overpowered is a bit of a moot point when Goku, Wesker, Sonic and Jedah are in the game.
#6  September 19, 2012, 11:47:31 pm
  • The life of a dish is not an easy one.
    • USA
    • mugenplate.webs.com/
Stuff
#7  September 19, 2012, 11:53:27 pm
    • USA
    • http://izod1337.deviantart.com/
#8  September 19, 2012, 11:55:50 pm
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
As long as you don't add a move that makes him cry or walk across America while acting like a dick, I think the moveset is good.
#9  September 20, 2012, 12:05:11 am
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
A couple of suggestions.

-I think Epicenter should OTG.  It would make for a solid combo ender after a ground to air rave.
-I think the whirlwind super sounds kind of useless, unless you know of an idea to implement it into his gameplay.
-Level 3 could have projectile invulnerability or super armor of some sort to make it a good counter/punish move, like some of the level 3 supers in MVC3.
-I would swap the drill uppercut for a command throw of sorts.  He's got super strength and it would be a good reversal for in your face characters.
#10  September 20, 2012, 12:09:20 am
  • The Chaos has ended. You will be remembered!
    • Germany
How about a classic "Clark Kent change into Superman in a telephone booth" intro?
For a super move... what about a "Phantom Zone Projector" attack?
#11  September 20, 2012, 12:22:06 am
  • Deliverater
    • USA
@MC2

-Definitely.
-You're probably right about the Whirlwind Super. I should come up with something else. I had considered a counter super called Man of Steel, where he just no-sells an attack and then counters with something huge, but I thought it might be boring (though Superman is kind of boring, though I like him don't get me wrong).
-Sounds like a plan.
-The Drill Uppercut is my favorite thing about Hannibal's sprites. I did consider a command throw, but I feel like I give a LOT of character command throws. Maybe I'll do both.

@Staubhold

Hannibal's sprite set has a Clark Kent clothes-rip intro, so I'll probably use that. I'll have to look up the Phantom Zone Projector thing to see how it would work, it's been a LONG time since I saw Superman 2.

@JMM

I don't get it. :blank:

Download Last Bout now!
#12  September 20, 2012, 12:31:03 am
  • Some day I'll finish this thing...
    • Argentina
Also Superman being overpowered is a bit of a moot point when Goku, Wesker, Sonic and Jedah are in the game.

This.

I mean, I feel so sorry for Netherrealm that they always think they need to bother justifying this: "Well, the MK characters have magical powers and Supes is weak to mag---" Oh, who gives a damn?! It's the same with Hulk in the VS games! He would completely own every other character in the game...

The only thing that should be accurate is the moveset (i.e. don't have Supes shooting heat rays out of his crotch). Strength and speed should remain balanced and should not be comparable to comic-book levels of strength.
#13  September 20, 2012, 12:33:27 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
For the past 30 odd years or so, during big events or crises, there will usually be a cover of Superman crying. It started off fine and was understandable because the first time it was a pretty big deal but now it's just ridiculous:

It's really really dumb.

the walking across America thing was a semi-recent storyline that called Grounded, and basically it was just Superman walking across America, being a douche.

For a super move... what about a "Phantom Zone Projector" attack?
Eh, I think Superman's moves should focus on his powers, and not a gadget he rarely uses.
#14  September 20, 2012, 12:33:52 am
  • The Chaos has ended. You will be remembered!
    • Germany
@Staubhold

I'll have to look up the Phantom Zone Projector thing to see how it would work, it's been a LONG time since I saw Superman 2.

Take some of the classic comics for reference... NOT the Superman 2 movie...
#15  September 20, 2012, 12:50:34 am
  • Staying Alive
    • Panama
In crossovers like umvc3 we have frank able to beat things like Dormammu so being overpowered can´t be a problem :P pretty interesting surprise thought the sprites always looked to much like Magneto to me but they pretty goos still. Good luck with that.
Chilling
#16  September 20, 2012, 12:51:45 am
  • Some day I'll finish this thing...
    • Argentina
#17  September 20, 2012, 01:10:37 am
  • Koi.
    • USA
    • Skype - Wizzy.WhipitWonderful
    • wizzywhipitwonderful.webs.com
I wouldn't have anything to add, but all I can say is this is great.

Superman's my favorite superhero; despite his weakness is him being homesick and such...
Slow and steady wins the race, but there is a darkness... growing inside of me...

And if you provoke it...

I will slay you all.

Donate Here
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=B92JC32FZ5CME
#18  September 20, 2012, 03:16:56 am
    • Argentina
I actually prefer Batman but I like the idea to add some superheroe like Superman! And what about the Batman by Alucard? He has amazing sprites but well, you're already making Superman ;D
Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 03:24:03 am by Lt. Hades
#19  September 20, 2012, 03:27:13 am
  • tired
    • Skype - Istillhasnoname
I think Krypton Crasher should be usable in the air as well. It just seems odd he can use a move that moves him to the air, but not use it in the air.
Is finding MUGEN to be more enjoyable to play when you're not wearing clothes an underrated opinion?
#20  September 20, 2012, 03:34:52 am
  • The Only Easy Day was Yesterday
    • USA
    • www.facebook.com/truemicah
Superman for CvTW?  This looks promising.  :)