YesNoOk

Mad Gear Gang 2 - Final Fight Sidescroll Character AND level (Read 43080 times)

Started by Count Monte, November 30, 2010, 06:21:32 am
Share this topic:
Mad Gear Gang 2 - Final Fight Sidescroll Character AND level
#1  November 30, 2010, 06:21:32 am
You need to put Mad Gear Gang 2 as Player 2.  And use the Final Fight Sidescroll Stage as the stage you play on.  The object is to make it to the end without dying.  There are health power-ups along the way.

Special thanks to Prime Op for Bred, Dug, Simon etc.  And to the Fight Fight Urban Chaos team.I'd like to add more Mad Gear Gang members, but I'm not a spriter.  If anyone wants to help with Belger, J, and El Gado sprites let me know! 

VIDEO:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB5XRgkVsyc

DOWNLOAD MAD GEAR GANG 2:  http://www.mediafire.com/?jbavho20djcor75

DOWNLOAD FIGHT FIGHT SIDESCROLL STAGE:  http://www.mediafire.com/?z3zodasa2agsia8
-- File is big because it's 8 minutes of music--

***Use only with the stage, otherwise it won't work properly!
Re: Mad Gear Gang 2 - Final Fight Sidescroll Character AND level
#2  November 30, 2010, 07:29:43 am
  • Just A Dude...
  • For me, it was Tuesday...
    • Canada
    • chaoticdarkness.deviantart.com/
Lol awesome, someone finally made it! great job judging from that video.
#3  November 30, 2010, 07:31:13 am
  • Are you Serious?
This character/stage is seriously messed up, and also at times, gangrape central.

- One of the dudes (the first one you encounter) has this weird counter measure where your attack get whiffed for whatever reason and he punishes you.
- Going too far results in you getting attacked to no end because of all the enemies ganging up on you.
- Turning is incredibly glitchy.  Even so that when I try to use some of MotW style Riesbyfe (by Khn)'s moves, she TURNS around and does the attack.
- I first fought against this character (or characters) with UN's Persona 3 Hero (Minato Arisato), and that's where things get glitchy.
   - Unable to turn around.
   - I broke one of the crates MULTIPLE times in a row with supers and more and more chickens spawned in place.
   - Sometimes the screen goes black before I even get to the end of the stage, and Minato falls Super Mario style, while still standing.
   - If I use Girimehkala (Tetrakarn high attack version), a jingle plays multiple times in a row.
#4  November 30, 2010, 08:10:44 am
I forgot to mention, there is a time limit -- if you take too long to get to the level exit, you lose.  It should work with most characters, sorry if you had a problem with Girimehkala.

You should defeat the enemies in front of you before you continue forward.  Unlike most sidescrollers which don't let you advance forward until you beat a set number of enemies, this will let you run past them to the end of the level and you risk getting swarmed.
#5  November 30, 2010, 08:49:12 am
  • Vae Victus!
    • USA
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/lord-kains-small-portraits-140580.0.html
I see a lot of pontential here for future mugen minigames, ill try this out
"Given the choice; whether to rule a corrupt and failing empire or to challenge the Fates for another throw a better throw against one's destiny... what was a king to do?
#6  November 30, 2010, 04:08:50 pm
  • IG @tanooki_ninja
    • Puerto Rico
    • maxbeta.webs.com/mugen.htm
- The Select Portrait, while a nice clean rip, does not satisfy mugen global standards and looks like floating glitchy junk in any screenpack. I suggest you make something else or even crop some of the used character sprites into a 120x140 res collage...or something.

- You HAVE to fix that Turning problem....it will make a huge difference from the game being an annoying experience to being an enjoyable/playable one.

- Why is there a madgear.zip file inside the download?

- Most of the weaker enemies from the original games counter your attacks and beat you senseless while the stronger Boss-like ones are quite easy and effortless to beat.

- Mario 1up Chime when picking up the meat....Seriously  --; And also that victory chime when you clear the game has got to go. There's appropriate sounds for these things that could easily be ripped from the Final Fight series through proper use of emulators in conjunction with Audacity. Also, now that I mention Audacity...the Final Fight Medley you included is really nice and goes very well with the game, but you could easily modify it to 128 bitrate and 44100 Hz and it would decrease the size from 20MB to 7MB with almost unnoticeable loss in quality.

- Axl appears once earlier in the stage as a SF3 edited sprite, and then we see his SFA2 bg sprite (which clashes horribly where it was placed) at the end of the stage. Same thing goes with Abigail. :P

- Eddie is too fast, Sodom/Katana is too slow and attacks too fast. Rolento could maybe use some more jumping around the screen??? ...and maybe add some El Gado enemies here and there.

Still, a nice nostalgic attempt, but feels beta-ish and rushed.
2.5 out of 5 from me.

"We need other people in order to create the circumstances for the learning that we are here to generate" RIP Adam Yauch aka MCA
www.instagram.com/tanooki_ninja
Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 04:47:59 pm by MaxBeta
#7  November 30, 2010, 06:42:28 pm
Thanks for the feedback!  I've tried to look at the turning problem.  Some characters have no problems at all, and others seem to have difficulty.  I haven't been able to find a solution, so I suggest just playing it with a character that doesn't glitch for now.  Since you need to be able to block when an enemy is in proximity, but also need to be able to turn around and walk the other way, it creates a unique problem.  I tested this using my Bruce Lee character and never once had an issue.

The madgear.zip is the original mad gear character by Sugio.  The helpers in this are basically the same ones where possible (Sodom, Andore, Edi etc).  Since I didn't have sprites for Axl, J, Belger etc. I had to replace them with the lesser enemies like Dug, Bred etc.  The coding of the helpers isn't something I spent a lot of time on, the reason being that this release also functions as a template so anyone can make their own sidescrolling games and just swap out the background and helper sprites and be good to go.

If you want to add more moves, AI etc to the helpers, it's certainly possible and you just code them as you would any other helper.  There's a damage variable that allows you to set how much health the helpers have, in case you want to make a true end boss for example.

Also, if anyone wants to convert this to an OpenBor mod, it's totally cool with me.  Part of my goal with this was to see a Final Fight sidescroller with updated Capcom sprites.

LOL, I thought the Mario chime was funny.  Thanks for the tip on how to lower the size of the sound file, I was worried about losing quality.
#8  November 30, 2010, 07:31:16 pm
  • Are you ready?
    • USA
i wonder if i put mad gear gang as player 1 what happens!?
#9  November 30, 2010, 07:35:24 pm
  • SNK is life
You will not be able to control it.
High chance of glitching, and getting stuck until timeover.
#10  November 30, 2010, 07:38:20 pm
  • Are you ready?
    • USA
count monte, whenever the ai controls if against the mad gear gang, it does nothing, i tried everything! can u help!
#11  November 30, 2010, 08:12:11 pm
So you are using an AI character as player 1, and want to watch the AI fight against Mad Gear as player 2?  Make sure you have it on the Final Fight stage, as many of the helpers won't spawn until you move to the right.  If player 1 is controlled by AI, it may not want to move to the right.
#12  November 30, 2010, 09:16:39 pm
  • Are you ready?
    • USA
well it's a good thing i put on debug mode, so i can press ctrl and 1 key at the same time!
#13  December 01, 2010, 12:34:41 am

Is there any way this could be a bonus stage? And if yes, is there a way to just download the chars that i want out of them?

I ask because Damnd, Sodom, and Rolento are all playable chars in my game (and any Boss char would be considered enough of a force on their own where they could potentially get a spot in my game,-- I also want Freddie from Final Fight 2), and I wouldn't wanna needlessly make them look weak by having them as small time enemies in a bonus stage...
#14  December 01, 2010, 01:02:18 am
Yeah, I think it could be a bonus stage.  You said that you have a playable Damnd -- is that with the original sprites or custom sprites?  If it's custom, would you mind sending him my way?  I'm looking for this one:

Not the old one (here's a side by side comparison)

Also, if you want to swap out Sodom and Rolento to something else, you can do it easily -- just open it up in Fighter Factory and you'll see that each one has walking, basic attack, getting hit and being dead sprites -- should take you 10 minutes to change them to another character if you want. 

The nice thing about this template is that it lets you spawn the enemies wherever you want them to appear, and you can add or subtract the # of them too.  Once you look at it in Fighter Factory, you'll see it's very plug & play and customizable.  I tried to be faithful to the original Mad Gear Gang character which is why  Rolento and Sodom are in it.  I couldn't get Damnd in there because I don't have the necessary sprites.
Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 01:10:51 am by Count Monte
#15  December 01, 2010, 01:16:20 am
  • AVP Project
    • Spain
    • sergeusmugen.blogspot.com
It looks funny, downloading and testing  ;)
#16  December 01, 2010, 01:22:17 am
Btw, Sergeus, you could easily modify this to be a bonus level in your Aliens vs Predator game.  THAT I'd love to see!
#17  December 01, 2010, 01:58:28 am
Yeah, I think it could be a bonus stage.  You said that you have a playable Damnd -- is that with the original sprites or custom sprites?  If it's custom, would you mind sending him my way?  I'm looking for this one:

Not the old one (here's a side by side comparison)

Also, if you want to swap out Sodom and Rolento to something else, you can do it easily -- just open it up in Fighter Factory and you'll see that each one has walking, basic attack, getting hit and being dead sprites -- should take you 10 minutes to change them to another character if you want. 

The nice thing about this template is that it lets you spawn the enemies wherever you want them to appear, and you can add or subtract the # of them too.  Once you look at it in Fighter Factory, you'll see it's very plug & play and customizable.  I tried to be faithful to the original Mad Gear Gang character which is why  Rolento and Sodom are in it.  I couldn't get Damnd in there because I don't have the necessary sprites.

Yeah, I want that damnd too... I have the original Damnd:( He needs a lot of work, and his goons do half, or more, or most of his fighting....

Can I just download certain chars, but not all of them, and still get it to work?

---------------update----------------------

Ok I downloaded the MG gang successfully, downloaded the stage successfully, then I tried to take out the chars I didn't want (I deleted their CNS files)... Then I went back and tried to put them against someone else again, and it failed. I got an error message. So I guess that answered my question, I can't download just the chars I want from there for my MG gang...
Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 07:47:06 am by blake639
#18  December 01, 2010, 02:01:59 pm
  • Character Not Unlocked ~
    • Norway
    • Skype - crap-zapper
Hey Count I think this is funny to play, But maybe the enemy's are to strong? don't you think? it's like when I use Ryu and use a super Hadouken to one of the simple guy's they survive it!!!???

And to Count and Blake, that Damnd is just a sprite from Final Fight Urban, some people at the Create and play are making or it's on hold I think...

Anyway If you want to make a Damnd why not do it yourself? The sprite one looks more like ahh T.Hawk edit or something...

Off Topic: Count I am curius, how is your Edi E coming along? (:
Previously known as;
Mugen-Ninja 2011-2014.
The Street Fighter 2014-2021.
#19  December 01, 2010, 05:26:13 pm
  • AVP Project
    • Spain
    • sergeusmugen.blogspot.com
Btw, Sergeus, you could easily modify this to be a bonus level in your Aliens vs Predator game.  THAT I'd love to see!

hehehehe, i thought the same thing when you said that it´s easy to customize  ;)

A scrolling beat´em up game turn into fight game and turn again into beat´em up  o_O
It´s curious  ;P
#20  December 01, 2010, 05:29:29 pm
this char need more work but if u stick to the feedback the char will be awsome  ;)