YesNoOk

Possible Movie Character? (POLL INCLUDED) (Read 47231 times)

Started by Sean Altly, June 02, 2012, 10:50:39 am
Share this topic:

Poll

Of the following limited options, who would you prefer be in Capcom vs The World?

Jason Voorhees
Indiana Jones
John McClane
Possible Movie Character? (POLL INCLUDED)
#1  June 02, 2012, 10:50:39 am
  • Deliverater
  • Who's that guy? A-L-T-L-Y
    • USA
    • www.mugenguild.com/seanaltly
So, I recently found out that a spriter named HyperSonic is doing what I was basically going to do. He's converting the Sonic Battle sprites of Sonic the Hedgehog into a Capcom-style sprite set. I've seen his work, which is very far along, and it will only require minor editing to make him fit in with the rest of the CvTW characters. I already have his permission to use the sprites when they're done. So basically, as with Frank West, I now do not have to make these sprites myself which saves me a lot of time. I plan on using that time to focus on unfinished characters and the characters with existing sprites that I need to code.

However, there is a chance, depending on how much time and energy I have, that I may sprite one more character. I badly wanted a character from the film world to be in CvTW. I had John McClane on one of the polls, but he lost. So, I decided to put up this poll containing the 3 movie characters I would one day like to sprite. The poll is very limited because I worry if I put more characters in, someone I don't truly want to work on might win. These three, however, are characters I would like to work on equally.

This is just to guage your opinions, and depending on time constraints, this may not even happen. But please, cast your vote and discuss it below.

PREVIEW SPRITES:

Double Size:

***UPDATE***

To give you an idea of how each one would play, here's a tentative movelist/gameplay description for each possible character. These are just quick ideas I whipped up and are not definitive.

JASON VOORHEES

Gameplay: Would be deceptively fast (since he's known as a fast walker, even in his zombie days) for his size, do a lot of damage and have a high life value. Honestly, I'm not sure what his weakness would be. Appearance is based on his Friday the 13th Part VI look (that one's my favorite).

Command Moves:

Overhead Machete Swing - F+HP

Special Moves:

Weapon Throw - QCF+P
  -HP version is a small throwing knife, HP version is a cleaver, EX version is the machete
Backbreaker - HCB+P
  -Grabs opponent and snaps their spine over his knee
Gutting - HCB+K
  -Walking grab like Zangief's German Suplex/Powerbomb. grabs opponent, lifts with one hand then stabs them repeatedly through the gut, then throws them away.
Impaler - HCF+K
  -Stabs forward with a pitchfork or spear. If it connects, it impales the opponent through the gut, and he then tosses them overhead with the length of the weapon.

Super Moves:

L1 - Stalker - QCF+S
  -Jason walks towards the opponent with his hand out. If he connects, he pushes them to the end of the stage against the wall, stabs them several times in the stomach, throws them on the ground, and stabs them agin through the head.
L1 - ?
L3 - Sleeping Bag Special- HCB+S
  -Grab super. If he connects, he grabs the opponent by the leg, drags them to the side of the stage, and then swings them by their leg against the "wall" viciously over and over, before swinging them in the other direction to the other wall. I might even make a custom sprite for each character inside a sleeping bag. Many would use the same ones due to their size, just would need bigger ones for guys like Doom and Mr. X. Based on his most famous kill from Friday the 13th Part VII.

INDIANA JONES

Gameplay: Would be a tricky character with trap specials and liberal whip use. Would be of average speed and strength.

Special Moves:

Whip Swing - DP+K (also in air)
  -Uses his whip to swing across the stage, attacking his opponent. May be too similar to Roschach's special, but I think it fits Indy better.
Whipper Snapper - DP+P
  -Lashes forward with his whip and grabs the opponent. LP version goes straight, and pulls the opponent closer for his combo (kind of like Scorpion's spear). HP version is anti-air, and slams the opponent down for modest damage.
Spike Trap - QCF+LK or QCB+LK
  -Indy hops away just in time to avoid a spike trap popping up under him. The spikes would hit opponents. Use against jumping in or attacking opponents to retreat safely and attack the opponent. Command used affects the direction Indy jumps out of the way (forward or backwards).
Snake Trap - QCF+HK or QCB+HK
  -A bunch of snakes fall from above Indy. He dodged them just in time, because he hates snakes, but they can hit the opponent. They will writhe around in place for a short time after they land, still able to hurt either Indy or the opponent. Command used effects the direction Indy jumps out of the way (forward or backwards).
One-Two Punch - QCF+P
  -Indy rears back and throws out a combo of nasty punches. Similar to Chris' special in MVC3 special.

Super Moves:

L1 - Boulder Dash - QCB+S
  -A giant boulder rolls in from the side of the screen. Indy runs away to dodge it, but the opponent's not so lucky.
L1 - Whip Smart - QCF+S
  -Indy lashes out with his whip (forward if the opponent's on the ground, upwards if they're in the air), pulls the opponent in, and then attacks them several times before knocking them away with an uppercut.
L3 - Right to the Point - DP+S
  -Half screen disance "invisible" projectile (think Phoenix Wright's trial super, but with less range). Causes the opponent to taunt, then go into a flurry of attacks to show off. Indy then just pulls out his revolver and shoots them. Since it's a full-game, every character would have a custom state for this that uses a pose and then some of their attacks. In the public release version, this would just be a gunshot projectile attack, and owuld be a L1. His L3 would be the Boulder Dash super.

JOHN MCCLANE

Gameplay: Would move fairly slowly, but utilizes weapons and explosives.

Special Moves:

Ho Ho Ho, I have a Machine Gun - QCF+P
  -Fires at his opponent with the machine gun he has.
Stay Low - RDP+P
  -Drops to his back and fires upwards with his revolver. Very safe anti-air, but requires precision timing.
Crawl - D,D,P
  -Drops to his stomach in a crawling position.
  Evasive Roll - F,F or B,B during Crawl
    -Safely roll forward or back wards out of the crawl animation.
  Pot Shot - F+P during Crawl
    -John takes a shot with his revolver at his opponent while staying on the ground
  Stay Lower - U+P during crawl
    -John rolls onto his back and shoots upwards with his revolver.
  Stand - K during crawl
    -John stands up out of the Crawl position
Shoot the Glass - DP+P
  -John shoots upwards with his machine gun, shattering glass above and causing it to fall on his opponent. Yes, stole this from Holhorse, but you have to admit it fits him.
Tackle - HCF+K
  -John runs and tackles his opponent, mounts them and punches them several times before rolling away.

Super Moves:

L1 - Computer Explosive - QCB+S
  -John produces a makeshift explosive (the computer chair/monitor/c-4 combo), and kicks it towards his opponent. Contact causes a large explosion.
L1 - Die Hard! - QCF+S
  -John unleashes a barrage of revolver and machine gun fire in several directions.
L3 - Johnson and Johnson - DP+S
  -John ducks as Agents Johnson and Johnson (no relation) fly in on their chopper and attempt to gun him down, accidentally hitting John's opponent instead.

Download Last Bout now!
Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 11:51:07 pm by Sean Altly
Re: Possible Movie Character? (POLL INCLUDED)
#2  June 02, 2012, 11:18:09 am
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
Jason, hands down.  All of his various weapons from the entire franchise would make for a very comprehensive moveset.  He could be almost Frank West like  with the potential of his arsenal, and it would add some much needed antagonistic flair to the roster.

Also do you have a preview of the guy's work?  Or would you rather keep it a surprise?
Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 11:31:09 am by MC2

SNT

#3  June 02, 2012, 11:35:18 am
  • Super Old Bitter Dude
    • Australia
If you think you've got a move list concept for John McClane you can pull off, hell yeah.
#4  June 02, 2012, 01:11:35 pm
  • Koi.
    • USA
    • Skype - Wizzy.WhipitWonderful
    • wizzywhipitwonderful.webs.com
I'll go with Jason;

We need more good boss-type characters that aren't incredibly overpowered. Plus, I'd like to try to see what my mind can come up with musically...
Slow and steady wins the race, but there is a darkness... growing inside of me...

And if you provoke it...

I will slay you all.

Donate Here
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=B92JC32FZ5CME
#5  June 02, 2012, 01:24:32 pm
  • Deliverater
  • Who's that guy? A-L-T-L-Y
    • USA
    • www.mugenguild.com/seanaltly
Be sure to actually vote in the poll though, I have two people saying they choose Jason but only one vote in the poll.

Download Last Bout now!
#6  June 02, 2012, 02:13:28 pm
  • Karate ni senshi nashi
    • Brazil
    • www.youtube.com/user/karate867
Idiana Jones!!!!!!!!!!!!
#7  June 02, 2012, 02:36:44 pm
John McClane. I'd rather him, but something tells me that Jason will eventually win because he's much more popular.
#8  June 02, 2012, 02:47:34 pm
  • Just a regular goon
Jason: The vast amount of weapons throughout the franchise and the fact he punched a guys head off...
"What do you want?"
"My face on the one dollar bill"
The Joker in Batman (1989)
#9  June 02, 2012, 02:47:56 pm
  • The Only Easy Day was Yesterday
    • USA
    • www.facebook.com/truemicah
Indiana Jones would win through popularity alone IMO.
Although Jason has a lot of options, he would probably be too similar to Mr. X due to his build.
#10  June 02, 2012, 02:48:15 pm
  • There is a demente in everyone!
    • www.dementi.it
Indiana Jones cause he is my childhood hero and because he is going to be a lot of fun to play as!

#11  June 02, 2012, 02:51:27 pm
  • Just a regular goon
Bad news: If Jason loses he may tell his mother....if anyone needs me I'll be hiding in my closet.
"What do you want?"
"My face on the one dollar bill"
The Joker in Batman (1989)
#12  June 02, 2012, 02:54:16 pm
  • Eyyyy
    • UK
Gonna go John McClane just because.
There was a sig here. Its gone now (thanks photobucket ya fecks)
#13  June 02, 2012, 02:55:57 pm
#14  June 02, 2012, 02:57:19 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
I'd probably vote for Indiana due to me liking the idea of a char with a whip and a gun. However, Sean, could you post a tentative movelist for each character, or if that's too much to ask, just an idea of how the char would play (grappler, rushdown, shoto, boss-like, etc.) and what kind of weapons or specials he'd have in his arsenal that makes him unique compared to the rest ?
#15  June 02, 2012, 03:13:18 pm
  • The Yatagarasu will be coming in any moment.
John McClane for the win 'cause he's never been made in Mugen yet and he lost the poll. Also, he would be badass if he enters.
Titiln said:
focus more and stop thinking about things like the internet or titties

Whatever happened to sex, drugs, and Rock. Nowadays, it's whores, AIDS, and Hip-Hop.
#16  June 02, 2012, 05:33:40 pm
  • Hick-spanic
  • the dawn away
    • Puerto Rico
Going by the roster (since there aren't a lot of antagonists on the World side) and just to see what possibilities could be done with his move set (due to all the weapons he's used over the years). I'm gonna have to go with Jason.

Also, just the idea of him and X going at it. :D
might as well shill: https://twitter.com/FraudKrew
the streams are here: https://www.twitch.tv/robotboombox
#17  June 02, 2012, 05:36:39 pm
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
Voted John McClane because I'd love to see him with a Rage Gauge like in Samurai Shodown. Maybe accompanied by a threat to kill, cook, and eat the opponent.
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#18  June 02, 2012, 06:07:59 pm
  • Mas y Mas Wips XD
    • alan-san.deviantart.com/
I Voted John McClane cuse he is my one of my favorite movie heroes of all time!  ;)
#19  June 02, 2012, 07:54:37 pm
  • May as well have a bit of class.
    • USA
Indiana Jones, because I'd love to see how you deal with the whip.
Though Jason would be a close second, because it could use some more villainy in the roster.
"I should probably call it a night. ...Sure, give me a sword and a throne and we'll make a big thing of it."
#20  June 02, 2012, 08:37:52 pm
  • IG @tanooki_ninja
    • Puerto Rico
    • maxbeta.webs.com/mugen.htm

DAMN! That poll is a toughie!

Still...Yippeekayay all the way!
"We need other people in order to create the circumstances for the learning that we are here to generate" RIP Adam Yauch aka MCA
www.instagram.com/tanooki_ninja