YesNoOk

Sonic The Hedghog Updated + Super Sonic Released (Read 13848 times)

Started by Veanko, April 14, 2014, 11:20:45 pm
Share this topic:
Sonic The Hedghog Updated + Super Sonic Released
#1  April 14, 2014, 11:20:45 pm
  • i am loyal to you unless you disagree with me
    • UK
    • www.dropbox.com/sh/n7tsdpf464qtbk1/AAB7z1LhB6Ee1cE5tyOVEB5ra?dl=0

the long overdue update for Sonic is here: now he comes with Super Sonic!

Super Sonic is essentially a EX mode: you can play as him by holding start and selecting Sonic. despite that however. Super Sonic plays absolutely nothing like normal sonic. he is much more air based and combo based than normal sonic.

it is possable have them as separate characters by using the normalsonic.def and supersonic.def files.

also of note. normal sonic has received a bit of a overhaul: Ring Throw and Backflip Wave have been removed. instead he now has a new move: Light Speed Dash. this should make him more of a rushdown character than before.

here is the full changelog: (spoiler because its quite large)
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

CREDITS:

Mugenhunter: for the sprites and the character itself
JDM: For some of the palettes
Sire Hyogo: For the small portrait
DivineWolf: For feedback

Download him(or them if you prefer) here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/42ml23zaau8ns54/Veanko_Sonic.rar
something looks a little off...

My youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TVeanko
Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 05:39:34 pm by Veanko
Re: Sonic The Hedghog Updated + Super Sonic Released
#2  April 14, 2014, 11:25:05 pm
  • "VS. Style Debuts - CEO"
  • Death is the start of a brand new cycle
    • Brazil
    • Skype - emperorzankuro
    • https://shinzankuro.carrd.co/
NICE!!!

One question:

It's possible to put a 6-button gameplay? Not a custom, I talk like this: 3 punches and 3 kickes
- Want to commission me for a artwork? Just come here
- Donations is welcome
#3  April 14, 2014, 11:29:50 pm
    • UK
i would rather not as that would require too much work. besides i don't think they have enough sprites to be a 6-button character anyway.

#4  April 16, 2014, 01:41:27 am
  • The Answer Lies in Chun-li's cooking...
    • Japan
I feel like crying...im so happy...
#5  April 18, 2014, 08:36:49 am
    • Canada
Super Sonic was a nice surprise! An air based character is a neat idea, and pretty fun to play around with.

DW

#6  April 18, 2014, 05:12:23 pm
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
Awww man! YES! I really have been waiting on him and Knuckles for a long time. DLing now, will get back with you later. Thanks for the updates.
#7  April 18, 2014, 05:27:54 pm
  • Nostalgic Addic
  • Working...
    • USA
    • https://www.youtube.com/@NessTheAvatar
Superb!!!  Can't wait to check this bad boy out!
#8  April 18, 2014, 06:14:49 pm
    • Italy
    • mark.nar@hotmail.it
We'll see other Sonic characters in your style?

DW

#9  April 18, 2014, 06:28:37 pm
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
Sonic:

-I miss Ring Toss. As it was one of his more unique specials. Though, I'm not complaining, just saying. It's fine if you want to leave it out.

-I like the addition of Light Speed Dash and it's different functions dependent on the button used. However, for strong LSD, I feel the "spinning" custom anim before them going into a dizzy state lasts for too long. I think like two reps of back and forth would suffice imo. I mean, they do get dizzy afterward either way, so it's not like Sonic wouldn't be able to follow up with it.

Super Sonic:

-I like that you gave diversity to the 2 modes. However, these charge commands for air techs isn't very practical IMO. The only reason I can pull some of these off, is because of buffering Up/Up+Fwd from jumping. Though, this only refers to his specials. I cannot do any supers that involve charge commands, as there's barely enough time before he lands/along with I'm assuming he should have a height limitation on his specials/supers. Which only increases the chances of not being able to perform them.

-I can perform Spiral Spin with either HCF or HCB command, even though the ReadMe says it should be a 360 motion.

Both:

-850 life seems really low imo. Sonic's a pretty tough little guy. His combo-ability and speed don't really make up for the poor life value. I'd suggest something more like in the 900-915 range.

-Voices are really soft/low quality.

Haven't tested to see if his AI takes him over yet, though I'll get around to that. I can increase the volume/quality of his voice samples if you'd like. Overall, very nice update. I look forward to Knuckles' update as well. 
#10  April 18, 2014, 07:51:09 pm
    • UK
-I miss Ring Toss. As it was one of his more unique specials. Though, I'm not complaining, just saying. It's fine if you want to leave it out.

i decided to remove it because i wanted him to be more of a rushdown character and ring toss kinda took away from that IMO. i could make it option in the config file to add it back in. considering the code for the move is still there.

-I like the addition of Light Speed Dash and it's different functions dependent on the button used. However, for strong LSD, I feel the "spinning" custom anim before them going into a dizzy state lasts for too long. I think like two reps of back and forth would suffice imo. I mean, they do get dizzy afterward either way, so it's not like Sonic wouldn't be able to follow up with it.

i will reduce the time the opponent spins around.

-I like that you gave diversity to the 2 modes. However, these charge commands for air techs isn't very practical IMO. The only reason I can pull some of these off, is because of buffering Up/Up+Fwd from jumping. Though, this only refers to his specials. I cannot do any supers that involve charge commands, as there's barely enough time before he lands/along with I'm assuming he should have a height limitation on his specials/supers. Which only increases the chances of not being able to perform them.

i don't have much problem preforming his moves(then again that might just be me). you don't need to charge them for very long(30 ticks, the normal amount i believe is 45) and he jumps fairly high aswell. so it is possible to do his moves without buffering them from a previous jump. at least for me anyway.

-I can perform Spiral Spin with either HCF or HCB command, even though the ReadMe says it should be a 360 motion.

will be fixed.

-850 life seems really low imo. Sonic's a pretty tough little guy. His combo-ability and speed don't really make up for the poor life value. I'd suggest something more like in the 900-915 range.

how does 910 sound?

-Voices are really soft/low quality.

i never really had a problem with his voice but now that you mention it. they do sound a bit low. so i will probably increase them a bit. don't worry about doing it yourself as i was planning on adding extra voice clips to him anyway.

We'll see other Sonic characters in your style?

i plan to do other sonic characters if thats what your asking.

DW

#11  April 18, 2014, 09:06:25 pm
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
i decided to remove it because i wanted him to be more of a rushdown character and ring toss kinda took away from that IMO. i could make it option in the config file to add it back in. considering the code for the move is still there.

No, it's fine. No need to go through the trouble of adding a var or anything. I appreciate the notion, but you're right as him being a more rushdown oriented char. Thanks for the consideration though.

i don't have much problem preforming his moves(then again that might just be me). you don't need to charge them for very long(30 ticks, the normal amount i believe is 45) and he jumps fairly high aswell. so it is possible to do his moves without buffering them from a previous jump. at least for me anyway.

Hm... OK, I guess I'll just have to practice the timing with it.

how does 910 sound?

That's cool.

i never really had a problem with his voice but now that you mention it. they do sound a bit low. so i will probably increase them a bit. don't worry about doing it yourself as i was planning on adding extra voice clips to him anyway.

OK.
#12  April 19, 2014, 02:20:02 pm
    • UK
Sonic has been updated. you can download it from the link in the OP.

here is the changelog:
 - Increased Health from 850 to 910
 - Reduced time opponent spins around during the strong version of Light Speed Dash
 - Reduced time opponent gets stunned overall during the strong version of Light Speed Dash from 400 ticks to 180 ticks
 - Changed command for Spiral Spin to F,D,B,U,F from F,D,B,U
 - Added negative edge to all special and super moves

i haven't increase the volume/quality of his voice or added new voice clips yet. i plan to do that when i release the update to knuckles.

#13  April 19, 2014, 02:25:49 pm
  • Holy BRAP
    • UK
Speaking of Knuckles, Are you going to change his Idle animation to his newer one in SFFII+?
#14  April 19, 2014, 02:34:38 pm
    • UK
i didn't really like the new idle animation he received TBH so probably not.

DW

#15  April 19, 2014, 04:20:39 pm
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
Sorry I didn't get around to telling you this yesterday before updating him... Though, here's a few more things...

-AI still takes over during Arcade play.

-Throws could use edge width applied to them. As they either put Sonic in the corner when performed against the corner(fwd spinning throw), or he remains in the corner if he's already in the corner when performed(backflip throw).

That's it. Is there an option to turn off his AI in the meantime?
#16  April 19, 2014, 04:32:05 pm
    • UK
really? damn. i thought i had fixed that. im going to have to look into that more. in the meantime. if you go into "win_config.cns" and change var(58) to 0. that should hopefully fix it.

i will add that edge width you suggested to his throws next update.

DW

#17  April 19, 2014, 04:39:19 pm
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
It only happened once through an arcade run. This was before the update though, so I'll try it again and see if it happens again. Thanks for the info. I'll get back with you.
#18  April 19, 2014, 05:38:11 pm
    • UK
Sonic has been updated. here is the changelog:

- Added edge width to his throws
 - Removed AI on the winmugen version. this is a temporarily fix to the AI taking over bug.

DW

#19  April 19, 2014, 05:58:13 pm
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
Yeah, the AI still takes over. Just reporting back as I said I would. I turned off the AI for now.
#20  May 15, 2014, 10:52:57 pm
  • The Only Easy Day was Yesterday
    • USA
    • www.facebook.com/truemicah
Sorry I'm late to this release.
I love what you did to Normal Sonic.  I think this moveset Is more suitable for him, good work.  :yes:
Here's some feedback:
- Overhead Kick and Quick Overhead Kick have the wrong commands in the readme (Hold ~F, D, Z)
- Ex Overhead Kick easily becomes a grab because they've the same buttons.
- I like that Sonic can run past his opponents but it would be cool if he could use that ability to crossup opponents.
- When Sonic runs and jumps, he always overshoots past his opponent.  This makes his run through opponent ability obsolete IMO.
- His Spin Dash could go farther IMO.
- Just a suggestion: Have you ever considered adding an overcharged version of Sonic's Spin Dash? (IE: Sonic Adventure: Sonic charges his spin attack and says "ready!" when fully charged.  Sonic can freely move around while the charge button is help down.  When released, he unleashes a powerful version of the spin attack which does decent damage and knockdown)
- Ex Roll Attack feels weird now that it doesn't knockdown anymore IMO.

Super Sonic:
- I agree with Divine regarding SSJ Sonics commands.  They do not feel natural to me.
- His Launcher is not listed correctly in the readme.
- His super in which he throws his opponent into the air and taunts confuses me.  What is supposed to happen after the super is performed?
- A unique stance and run anim would really set the mood for this Sonic.  He looks and feels just like Super Sonic.
- IMO, Super Sonic doesn't need the extra flickering FX.
- A few exclusive Super Sonic intros would be rad.
   - It would be cool if the Chaos Emeralds scattered after Super Sonic is defeated (Special outros if defeated by various enemies would be awesome too (IE: Chaos, etc.))

I'm definitely loving what I'm seeing.  IMO, this Sonic is almost perfect.
Keep it up bro. :yes:
Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 06:15:59 pm by TRUEMicah