YesNoOk

Diana Cavendish released (Read 6150 times)

Started by Sir Ghostler, July 23, 2024, 09:45:41 am
Share this topic:
Diana Cavendish released
#1  July 23, 2024, 09:45:41 am
  • Working on MUGEN characters, 24/7.
    • Australia

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

A second collaboration project between myself and @Shimmering Brony. Someone wanted to commission Shim to sprite Diana, so we worked together to bring her to life. Like with Akko, I did the programming and designed most of the moveset, while Shim made the sprites and animations, though I also helped with a couple of animations this time around.

Diana was actually Shim's first commissioned character. This project wouldn't have been possible without him!

Feedback would be appreciated. We hope you enjoy her!

Link: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgiPXTIYC2lbokUYVQQs4oZxZcMG?e=a5Ur2v
Re: Diana Cavendish released
#2  July 23, 2024, 06:38:40 pm
    • UK
This sprite is better than Son Bra
#3  July 24, 2024, 06:39:18 pm
  • I'm 100% Team OHMSBY now.
    • USA
Since there are some problems with the forum, I didn't get around posting my feedback until now. But here it is finally and a little short this time around:
-Sprite (1,0) could use some fixing as there are some pixel errors with the dress.
-The swish sound on 5B, 2C and j.5B doesn't play simultaneously along with her grunt sounds.
-It would look nice if the opponent has palfx if they get hit by her ice attacks, Barrier and Luna Luna (The same could work with Akko with her Fire attacks, Sucy's smoke projectile and Shiny Arc).
-The Assist Select should be selected with the taunt button so you don't have to wait for the round 1 animation to appear and doesn't clutter the screen (And the Assist Ready sound effect plays once it's selected).

Now after comparing her with Akko, I noticed their super jump height when doing it upwards for both of them is exactly the same as the normal one. I think it should be slightly higher and add afterimages since it looks exactly the same as the normal jump aside from the sound effects. It should stay until they start falling to the ground or if Diana's Air Jump and Akko's Float.
I will still do detail and aesthetic feedback for the rest.
#4  July 25, 2024, 11:20:41 am
    • Australia
-Sprite (1,0) could use some fixing as there are some pixel errors with the dress.
I can't believe I missed that one, lol.

-The swish sound on 5B, 2C and j.5B doesn't play simultaneously along with her grunt sounds.
From what I checked, there was only one normal where the whiff sound and voice clip didn't play on the same frame, and it was 2A. It probably would've taken me way longer to find if you didn't bring this up though.

-It would look nice if the opponent has palfx if they get hit by her ice attacks, Barrier and Luna Luna (The same could work with Akko with her Fire attacks, Sucy's smoke projectile and Shiny Arc).
Adding PalFX to these moves feels unnecessary, imo. Maybe I will add some to Akko's fire based attacks for opponents who do not have a burned compatibility animation. I'll have to think about it.

-The Assist Select should be selected with the taunt button so you don't have to wait for the round 1 animation to appear and doesn't clutter the screen (And the Assist Ready sound effect plays once it's selected).
I'll look into implementing this.

Now after comparing her with Akko, I noticed their super jump height when doing it upwards for both of them is exactly the same as the normal one. I think it should be slightly higher and add afterimages since it looks exactly the same as the normal jump aside from the sound effects. It should stay until they start falling to the ground or if Diana's Air Jump and Akko's Float.
AfterImage is something I don't think I would add, but I will increase the high jump height.

Thanks for the feedback. :)
#5  July 25, 2024, 01:38:03 pm
    • USA
I can't believe I missed that one, lol.
Even though that frame was relatively quick, it's still kinda jarring as the tip of her hair is detached, the elbow of her right arm and 2 pixels of her left shoulder are missing. Hopefully Shim fixes it.

From what I checked, there was only one normal where the whiff sound and voice clip didn't play on the same frame, and it was 2A. It probably would've taken me way longer to find if you didn't bring this up though.
I just realized I made an error on one of the normals. It was the 2B, not the 2C where she slides with her broom. Yeah, the sound effects you used are from Melty Blood which aren't as loud. So I can see why didn't catch it that quickly.

Speaking about 2C, the actual 2C sprites that use group 420 are unused and the current 2C is the exact same as the 66C. I think they should be different as the current 2C looks better as a rush down command than a move that trips the opponent.

Adding PalFX to these moves feels unnecessary, imo. Maybe I will add some to Akko's fire based attacks for opponents who do not have a burned compatibility animation. I'll have to think about it.
You have a point. It's mostly when using 1.0, so you could see the opponent's small portrait react to those attacks. Although 1.1 on the other hand wouldn't matter since it's stuck on the default palette and palfx will not work even if the code was applied. But in way, it does feel unnecessary now that I think about it since the lifebars will be temporarily hidden during a EX special or super.

AfterImage is something I don't think I would add, but I will increase the high jump height.
Another method I can think of is to add an effect below their feet when they do it like in the MvC games. But it's not that high when jumping forward or backwards, that's why I compared it with PotS's characters since it's works somewhat similar and though of it that way so it doesn't look too identical to the normal one.
#6  July 26, 2024, 04:17:15 am
    • Australia
Even though that frame was relatively quick, it's still kinda jarring as the tip of her hair is detached, the elbow of her right arm and 2 pixels of her left shoulder are missing. Hopefully Shim fixes it.
I let Shim know about it. It'll either be fixed by him or myself.

Speaking about 2C, the actual 2C sprites that use group 420 are unused and the current 2C is the exact same as the 66C. I think they should be different as the current 2C looks better as a rush down command than a move that trips the opponent.
I changed 2C into a slide because it makes for a more interesting normal, both visually and functionally. Akko's 5C and 2C were like this, I wanted Diana to have at least one. The sprites being shared with 66C isn't an issue to me.

Another method I can think of is to add an effect below their feet when they do it like in the MvC games. But it's not that high when jumping forward or backwards, that's why I compared it with PotS's characters since it's works somewhat similar and though of it that way so it doesn't look too identical to the normal one.
I think the most I would add is some kind of dust effect.

---

An update for Diana and Akko will be released soon-ish.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#7  July 28, 2024, 04:33:48 pm
    • Australia
Diana has been updated. https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgiPXTIYC2lbokUYVQQs4oZxZcMG?e=a5Ur2v
- Fixed a few sprite errors.
- Whiff sound and voice now play on the same frame for 2A.
- Whiff sound and voice now play on a later frame for j.5B.
- High jump and run jump velocities have been tweaked.
- The assist selector can now be exited with the start key.
- Updated the readme.

Please redownload her.
#8  July 29, 2024, 07:47:11 pm
    • USA
Still found this error after the update. The whiff sound and voice on 5B, 2B and j.5B still plays separately and not at the same time. Also, I noticed the whiff sound and voice on 2B specifically plays after it hits the opponent and not when it connects.

Other than that, that should be all for her and the same goes with Akko.

I changed 2C into a slide because it makes for a more interesting normal, both visually and functionally. Akko's 5C and 2C were like this, I wanted Diana to have at least one. The sprites being shared with 66C isn't an issue to me.
I have a better suggestion. Why not have the current slide 2C as a 3C instead? That way if you still want to keep it as a slide, she can have both a normal trip and slide at the same time like Akko (Even though her 2C headbutts the opponent upward into the air, it still causes fall). It's just that Shim made those group 420 sprites already and kinda wasteful if they didn't get used in any shape or form.

I think the most I would add is some kind of dust effect.
Why not remove it completely when she's normal jumping? I think the dust effect goes well along with the super jump sound. Also, I don't think it should appear when she's air jumping since it doesn't when Akko tries to float. Plus it doesn't make sense for dust to appear airborne as her feet is already off the floor. The air dash on the other hand does as it's coming out of the broom.
#9  July 30, 2024, 08:25:50 am
    • Australia
Still found this error after the update. The whiff sound and voice on 5B, 2B and j.5B still plays separately and not at the same time. Also, I noticed the whiff sound and voice on 2B specifically plays after it hits the opponent and not when it connects.

Other than that, that should be all for her and the same goes with Akko.
The whiff sound and voice play at the same time for all the attacks you've mentioned. Though I didn't notice 2B played them a frame later than they should, I'll correct that.

I have a better suggestion. Why not have the current slide 2C as a 3C instead? That way if you still want to keep it as a slide, she can have both a normal trip and slide at the same time like Akko (Even though her 2C headbutts the opponent upward into the air, it still causes fall).
I think I actually tried that at one point. I just think the slide stands out more when it's a default normal, and it doesn't necessitate a 3C since it still ultimately functions as a sweep. Akko needed a sweeping 3C because her 2C was an anti air leaping headbutt.

It's just that Shim made those group 420 sprites already and kinda wasteful if they didn't get used in any shape or form.
It sucks that some animations went unused, but that's just something that can happen when developing a character from scratch. It wasn't until sometime after her basic normals were already complete that I thought of a slide to make her kit more unique. I'm only human, I don't have perfect foresight. I would have vastly preferred that the idea for the slide came to mind from the very beginning so that Shim didn't waste time and effort making the previous sweep animation, but it is how it is.

Why not remove it completely when she's normal jumping? I think the dust effect goes well along with the super jump sound. Also, I don't think it should appear when she's air jumping since it doesn't when Akko tries to float. Plus it doesn't make sense for dust to appear airborne as her feet is already off the floor. The air dash on the other hand does as it's coming out of the broom.
I wouldn't want to remove the dust particles from normal jumps, and I think it would be inconsistent to remove them from the air jump when the air dash has them.

Thanks again for the additional feedback. :)

---

There will be another update for Diana soon.
#10  July 31, 2024, 08:19:41 am
    • Australia
Diana has been updated again. https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgiPXTIYC2lbokUYVQQs4oZxZcMG?e=a5Ur2v
- Whiff sound and voice now play on the correct frame for 2B.
- Fixed an issue with one of the freeze states that would leave the opponent below the floor and with the wrong statetype.
- Tweaked the behavior of one of the freeze states for when the opponent is defeated while in said state.

Please redownload her.
#11  July 31, 2024, 10:22:08 am
    • UK
Hey, I've got Feedback for you:
Special intro against Atsuko Kagari